Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • nick_md wrote:

Jesus that guy sounds like the worst. Never seen a stream of his and I can't imagine sitting watching a 6 hour run is in any way fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Jesus that guy sounds like the worst. Never seen a stream of his and I can't imagine sitting watching a 6 hour run is in any way fun.

He was genuinely lovely when he started streaming. But I had to stop watching him on Twitch, he can be a total dick for no reason at times to chatters etc. Feels like an ego thing due to how good he is at a game, essentially.
  • Frosty wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    He was genuinely lovely when he started streaming. But I had to stop watching him on Twitch, he can be a total dick for no reason at times to chatters etc. Feels like an ego thing due to how good he is at a game, essentially.

You talking about LC or Jorbs here? Jorbs can be a bit toxic at times too, but I do like him a lot, and enjoy watching him while I work. LC? Absolutely no. Not in a million years.
  • Jesus that guy sounds like the worst. Never seen a stream of his and I can't imagine sitting watching a 6 hour run is in any way fun.

Burst onto the scene?
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

You talking about LC or Jorbs here? Jorbs can be a bit toxic at times too, but I do like him a lot, and enjoy watching him while I work. LC? Absolutely no. Not in a million years.

Jorbs. He's the only StS streamer I've watched. It doesn't help that I don't find the umming and ahhing over a card choice for minutes on end a bit fucking dull also.
  • Oh I was talking about the LC guy. I don't watch Jorbs as he's a bit dry but he always seemed fine. Don't mind shitting on people back seating in chat tbf though. I think he struggles with the popularity he's garnered, pretty sure there was a guardian article about streaming that features him

Only sts steamer I've tended to watch is FrostPrime. Very meme heavy but I enjoy his dumb challenge videos like "what if every relic was x" etc.
  • Frosty wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Jorbs. He's the only StS streamer I've watched. It doesn't help that I don't find the umming and ahhing over a card choice for minutes on end a bit fucking dull also.

Only one I watch semi-regularly as he was mentioned and interviewed by our Temoy, and yeah I hate the amount of time he takes on some decisions, all without explaining why he is musing on it.  And the constant looking at draw and discard piles and deck at lightning speed does my head in sometimes.

Recently checked out Baalorlord who I think Cinty mentioned or someone else.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah Baalor is my favourite too, he explains a lot and is more accessible and polished than XecnaR who really explains things but doesn't have the presentation.
  • Baalor and Jorbs for me - though they stimulate different parts of my brain. I am onboard with what Jorbs does, and it's the two of them that basically gave me all the skills I needed to get to Asc20 and to do all the challenges the game had to offer. 

Not really watched any of the other streamers, and not overly interested.
  • Nearly beat A20 with the Ironclad but the double final boss was too much. I had a fun deck with not one but two Dark Embraces, Evolve, and Corruption. So, lots of card draw but maybe not enough block. I managed to kill Deca and Donu, but died to the reborn bird dog.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Unlucky, I used to think bird dog was the easiest act3 boss but he's deffo the hardest for me now. Next time.

I'm still a19 with silent atm but busy work + inlaws + trying to start Dead Cells means I haven't really put any time in for a week or so. Should get back on it before I get rusty.

• Haven't watched yet because the wife oddly doesn't want to watch a 2.5hr Jorbs vid response to the LC beef but here it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/s/wDqqlqKayV

edit: Can't do vids on mobile, it's this https://youtu.be/07AFOrkyh3k?si=4Kf7hK_xON6G_oOx
  • Up to A20 on silent now, cleared 19 last night with a shiv deck that also had shuriken and kunai, so every three shivs (I was chucking loads) gave +1 str and dx. Was doing chunky dmg. Got murdered by shield and spear tho.

I've definitely got better at silent since starting this ascension climb post IC. I remember really struggling around A10 or so but feel like I'm making mostly solid decisions now, or at least I recognize when a decision isn't right but do it anyway because I want a particular synergy to pay off, stupidly.

Looking forward to finishing Silent 20 then onto Defect.
  • And first A20 attempt I get right up to the second act3 boss but failed, Time eater. First boss was donu and deca and I definitely played suboptimal there, deck felt strong enough to win. Gutted.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Up to A20 on silent now, cleared 19 last night with a shiv deck that also had shuriken and kunai, so every three shivs (I was chucking loads) gave +1 str and dx. Was doing chunky dmg. Got murdered by shield and spear tho.

I've definitely got better at silent since starting this ascension climb post IC. I remember really struggling around A10 or so but feel like I'm making mostly solid decisions now, or at least I recognize when a decision isn't right but do it anyway because I want a particular synergy to pay off, stupidly.

Looking forward to finishing Silent 20 then onto Defect.

Not saying it's the optimal deck but I do love a shiv deck with kunai and shuriken, especially if you have the thousand cuts and after image powers as well.

SFV - reddave360
  • After Image is one of those always picks for me even tho it probably shouldn't always be. I've had runs with multiple copies and loads of shivs where it was my entire block engine. Lovely stuff.
  • nick_md wrote:
    And first A20 attempt I get right up to the second act3 boss but failed, Time eater. First boss was donu and deca and I definitely played suboptimal there, deck felt strong enough to win. Gutted.

Just had the exact same again, did donu and deca then done by time eater, bollocks. Again made a mistake during d&d that cost me about 15hp, may have seen me to victory. Oh well, next time.
  • I'm terrible with Silent. I've just been bashing my head against it and I eventually got a a20 heart win the other night with a run that was hard to fuck up. Boss swapped into wrist blade so was immediately going for shivs and ended the run with tungston rod, Torii, shuriken, and kunai. Early matryoshka and black star meant I had a million relics and was very op by the end of act 3. Act 4 and the heart still almost killed me as I struggled to get the engine going against the elite and heart fights.

Beating time eater was satisfying as I just waited and played the bare minimum cards until I was at full power then just smashed him.
  • Nice. I see a lot of people complain about time eater but I don't mind him normally, just couldn't carry the hp over in the boss rush. Awakened One is the hardest challenge for me because I love playing powers (who doesn't).

Grats on the A20H anyway. Most times I get to act 4 I tend to think I've got a chance then I lose most of my HP even before the heart.
  • Cheers! Felt good.

I don't think I have a preferred act 3 boss as they can each fuck you up if your deck has a specific weakness that they target, I usually know if I'm going to make it past them by the time I get there. I did used to think Donu Deca was the "easy" one though.
  • Ac 5 & 6 done with hexaghost.

Improving, and working out synergies.

Pretty sure the reason hexa is so tough is you really do have to lean into a particular mechanic to have success and even if you are leaning that way, its possible to overdo it or select the wrong card, within that mechanic, because it doesn't play nice with another.

So with afterlife cards, there's usual no brainer selections that bring them back. One is a power, the other is an attack. If you have lots of afterlife cards, you can recycle them. But if you have the power, it brings back 1 per turn. So you need lots of AL cards, and if you have the attack it becomes moot if you have the power as unless you have shitloads of afterlife cards it won't bring anything back.

Same with igniting fires.

Under the broad mechanic of the fires, there's igniting or extinguishing, and/or advancing or retracting.

If you lean into a bunch of cards that rely on the fires being ignited and select a card that means they stay extinguished more often you can get yourself stuck.

Theres also 1 single card which draws 2 and turns hand ethereal. You have to be so careful. I ended up with no cards and died one run.

Same with the series of seals power cards. There's 6 of them. They do outside of fight stuff. Heal at end of battle, extra card reward, upgrade card. And there's a crazy secret thing if you manage to use all 6 in a fight.

But they can really clutter your deck quickly.

Really enjoying the process, but definitely the hardest of the new characters I reckon.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Had my highest ever Daily Climb finish yesterday: IMG-5036.jpg

Lovely stuff. Tip o the hat to you sir.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Again silent A20 died to second boss, this time got through awakened one but couldn't get my scaling back up for donu and deca. Gah. Can't wait to clear this so I can start Defect climbing, definitely time for a change.
  • I'm still trying to do A20, but with the Ironclad. Maybe tonight's the night...
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Android app has started crashing at the menu every time it's opened. An actual disaster.

Seems like a widespread issue going from reddit
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Still working for me dude. But I did pirate it first and bought later, dunno if that's the reason.
  • Just beat ac8 with hexa. Still tough going. Taking multiple attempts per level this early. 10+ is going to be brutal.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Android app has started crashing at the menu every time it's opened. An actual disaster.

Seems like a widespread issue going from reddit

Yeh it's been fine for me. I've been hammering this again recently as I realised 3 cards hadn't unlocked for me on Ironclad, a known bug, so I deleted my profile and started again. Why not, it is the best game ever made and starting again is a joy. Absolutely breezed through asc 1 to 10 on Ironclad in a few days.
  • Died to second boss again, awakened one, got the fucker down to near death too, had a great shiv-nanigans deck thanks to an early dead branch. Bollocks.
  • Finally, A20 silent cleared. Thank God for that, happy to move onto Defect. Got to the boss gauntlet so many times and flopped on the second boss, but absolutely breezed it this time, actually gutted I forgot to grab the last key as I didn't need the heal before the act 3 bosses, but I played it safe. Ended up finishing with 40hp and 2x fairy bottles and sacred bark, could've easily gone on to the heart although realistically probably didn't have the attack scaling to do it, maybe.

Anyway, was a great deck with lots of draw, discard and those two cards that give draw and energy on discard, plus a couple of adrenaline+s, and shivs for damage. Awakened one and Donu/Deca for the gauntlet; had a potion belt + alchemize and deffo lucked out with a skill potion giving me corpse explosion during donu/deca.

Anyway, thank God that's done, onto Defect who's currently on asc7. Once that's done, it's watcher from A0, then maybe cheevos.

Also realized there are some relic unlocks via watcher that I'm not playing with atm for other chars, but I'll live.

What a game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!