Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Got the Speed Climber achievement for beating the game in less than 20 minutes, with a time on 19 minutes and 56 seconds... 

Means there's only one more achievement to get, before the Spire has been well and truly Slayed.

FPT
  • Nice. What was the strat there, is that the icon for strg+ from damage?

Top work.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Nice. What was the strat there, is that the icon for strg+ from damage? Top work.

Yeah, managed to get a fair chunk of strength. Best strat I can work out for Speed Climber is that you just need damage output, and you have to pick good routes.

You don't really have time for elites, as they slow you down - you could maybe get away with one or two, but even two would be pushing it imo. And you don't really have time for a lot of block - so, kill enemies before they kill you.

Ironclad heals help a lot here, as you can take 6-10 damage from fights without really feeling it at all. 

Events help, to thin the deck, and you'll need some kind of big damage card (or two) that you can routinely pull. And, you don't really have time to pick up block cards - maybe one or two good ones, if you see a real good one e.g. a Shrug it off for card draw, or even better an Impervious. 

It took me about 6 runs to get it, once I started going for it, and 4 of those runs ended with me dying on the Act 3 boss - i'd run into an issue where I would smash my way to that boss, but once i got there the incoming damage was just faster than my output. 

The winning run I picked up a Shrug as a block card for Act 3, which helped as I could also draw into damage. Main damage was a Bludgeon, which i got offered early. Upgraded that and later duped it with Dolly's Mirror. Snecko helped keep it usable and is the main reason I took that relic. 

I was getting pretty shitty offerings overall, tbh, but through a decent shop and a couple of events I managed to grab a late Hemokenesis, Rupture and Limit Break. This would let me scale damage, and because of them I also opted to pick up a late Fiend Fire so I could thin my deck faster and get damage scaling + bludgeons going more reliably. 

So yeah, that's the strat - fast damage output and you just gotta go. Don't waste too much time on elites, events are your friends, don't worry about block pickups until Act 3 unless you see a real good block card, then try to find a way to outscale the Act 3 boss. 

Think it'd probably be doable on all characters, but Ironclad and Defect seem like the best fits for it. Watcher also has silly damage, but can be a bit more math heavy and you might find yourself stuck in wrath at a bad time. Plus, stance switching can take a couple of secs.
  • Nice. One for the list but not for a long while yet for me.
  • Ac20 with guardian.

Very good character.

On to hexaghost now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cheers.

Hexaghost is definitely the most confusing of the Downfall characters. 

The gist is, each of his "fires" do something, and they can be "ignited" with specific cards, or by playing certain combos of cards. (Simple stuff, 2 attacks, 2 skills, a power card, etc.) And the final fire is the big multi attack he does on turn 2 in the main game.

there's cards that ignite the fires, there's cards that do stuff based on if the flames are out or ignited, there's cards that skip forward on flames and some that retract.

So that's a whole thing. Knowing what's Ignited and what's not and what various cards will do is hard enough. 

But, there's a whole other set of major mechanics. Hexa leans into Ethereal cards. So there's a heap of cards that do cooler stuff by not playing them and letting them exhaust at the end of the turn. Related, there's Afterlife cards, which basically bring back ethereal cards. And there's cards that work on a loop using that idea, Let one card exhaust to create a better card, use that better card to then do better stuff, but also recreate that first card.

if that sounds like a lot, it's because it is. 

I'm up to AC3 and still don't even know wtf I'm doing.
  • Sounds a bit mental, I haven't the headspace to even consider Downfall atm (and it'd require I sit at a laptop when all my slaying is handheld switch now), but I'm enjoying the updates. Strong work.

Me, I'm up to A16 silent now, happy with my progress of an asc level a day-ish, but iirc from clad it's A17 onwards that are the real cunts.
  • A16 silent done with a Heart kill.

Bonkers run, I'd never considered dead branch for anyone except clad, but this was the third time in as many days I'd got it with Silent and the shenanigans with shiv decks can and will be mental, as you probably know. Ended up with that, plus ice cream, nightmaring footworks and after images, poison and blade dances, nuts. Also had a lizard tail and two fairies from alchemist. Nuts. Nightmare in particular was crazy when coupled with setup, my starting defends were doing 22 block each at one point. Oh and I had mummified hand and accuracy and multiple noxious fumes, so cards were free constantly.

Just one of those runs where you're playing things for free and the scaling is through the rough; heart didn't stand a chance.
  • Love runs like that - great work, Nick. 

Managed to sort Speed Climber on PC today, with a time of 18 minutes and 23 seconds. Blasted through in double speed with a Triple Hemokenesis + Double Rupture + Limit Break deck. Kept alive through the run with a Reaper to pop right before killing enemies and just full healing through nearly every fight. Was glorious. 

Now have one achievement left to get on PC, and one on Playstation before both platforms get platted and the Spire is well and truly Slayed.
  • Nice work! I don't think I'm going to do the whole clearing up on multiple platforms thing as it seems mental :D I'm only playing so much as I am atm due to switch tbh. Current POR is Asc20 for silent then defect, then start playing Watcher who I've only A0d previously on PS4. Once all chars are up to A20 clears, aim for A20 Heart. Once that's done for all, pick up the cheevos.
  • And that’s yer Platinum gotten.
  • Noice.

Hexaghost continues to be a mofo. still on ac4!
  • Got the Speed Climber achievement for beating the game in less than 20 minutes, with a time on 19 minutes and 56 seconds...  Means there's only one more achievement to get, before the Spire has been well and truly Slayed.
    FPT

Now get yourself on Downfall like Face. It's really good.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Grats on the plat cinty, time to delete your saves and start again!

Up to asc19 on silent now, did 17 and 18 back to back, quite chuffed with that.

We believe in you Face <3
  • so is this any good?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • There's a few of us here who love it.  It's in my top 25 at least.  Hundreds of hours on it, despite not being very good, or at least not as good as others here!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's in my top 10 all time, just. Wonderful game, I just don't have the patience to focus for a run over 30 minutes.
  • Almost got a a20 grand finale silent deck working last night. Blocking solution sucked and I had too many cards but I had enough draw that I could generally get them off in hallway fights but as soon as I hit donu deca I was immediately killed. I think I could have managed the other two bosses but the constant damage scaling and dazes destroyed me.

Never tried a grand finale deck before but it was fun once j got a hang off the maths every turn.
  • I've never tried one either but I should.
    It's in my top 10 all time, just. Wonderful game, I just don't have the patience to focus for a run over 30 minutes.

Might be my fave ever. It's certainly the one I've put the most hours in.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I see people with Grand Finale decks on the subreddit and I can never get my head around how to set it up, I don't think I've ever managed to have that much control over my draw pile number. How did you go about it, Frosty?
  • Eh mostly luck I think. I boss swapped into Pandoras box and leaned into it from there. Pretty much only took draw cards, things that exhaust, or powers and ignored almost everything else.

Ended up with 19 cards but the important ones were 2 grand finale, tools of the trade so I was drawing 6 cards per turn, an acrobatics(draw 3), prepared+ (draw 2), dagger throw (draw 1), adrenaline (draw 2), Burst+, predator for 2 extra draw next turn.

From that I was usually able to cycle through the deck pretty quickly each turn once I got going and there were enough options to do the maths to end up on 0 draw pile. Ink bottle was a fucker as I'd forget about it and it would draw an extra card when I wasn't expecting it and shuffle the deck.

Going to try it again.
  • Nice, I always hate getting GF in a transform or Pandora's but I'll try to seriously give it a go next time.

Agree totally on ink bottle, I always forget about it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You've made me wanna play it now, booting PS5 up. Been a while.
  • Had my highest ever Daily Climb finish yesterday:

IMG-5036.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Leaderboards never worked for me. I think I'd play it more if they did.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Had my highest ever Daily Climb finish yesterday:

IMG-5036.jpg

I did my first ever daily run last month, 500 or so hours in. Don't know why I don't do more. Grats on the ranking!
  • nick_md wrote:
    6 hours runs?! Jebus!
    nick_md wrote:
    I did my first ever daily run last month, 500 or so hours in. Don't know why I don't do more. Grats on the ranking!

Strats for the daily will probably mess up your normal runs. I find it hard to go back to normal after doin the daily for so long.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!