The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Not right now, not directly but they are going that way.

I pay 8 quid per month to access 100+ games on Game Pass.

I dont have instant access but all but the biggest games I can get in under an hour.

Your internet is crap, I know, it is a forum meme but the reality is internet speeds are improving massively.
  • I wonder will that model allows games to be more modular? I don't mean episodic although that's similar but more a case of you got to gamepass and you pick the parts you want to download. Like fifa but no interest in online or ultimate team? No problem. Want multiplayer halo but not the story? Fine, don't download all the unnecessary stuff.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Anyhoo, I'm tired and pissed and don't want to appear antagonistic about any of this nonsense, so I'm off to bed. Perhaps I'll pick this discussion up tomorrow and elaborate my position when I've sobered up.

night all

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I can see that. Xbox already has the "Ready to Start" function which over the years has improved.

Depending on the game I can see that going from being able to play the opening part to being able to play multiple sections.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can see the utility in that. You've already paid for access, so no need to download everything if you don't want it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I wonder will that model allows games to be more modular? I don't mean episodic although that's similar but more a case of you got to gamepass and you pick the parts you want to download. Like fifa but no interest in online or ultimate team? No problem. Want multiplayer halo but not the story? Fine, don't download all the unnecessary stuff.

Microsoft did this with Crackdown 3, SP and MP were separate downloads.
  • Sony PlayStation 5 jump cuts to SSD for faster gaming

By Chris Mellor - April 16, 2019

Sony’s next-generation PlayStation gaming console will use a solid-state drive for faster game loading and play.

The current PlayStation 4 has a hard disk drive but struggles a little with today’s bigger, more complex, higher res games – for instance Red Dead Redemption 2 is 99GB. This affects loading time and the speed of play – often there are notable waits as game characters jump from one gamespace to another.

In a Wired interview Sony lead system architect Mark Cerny said the next PlayStation – PS5 presumably – will have an 8-core AMD Ryzen CPU, a custom Radeon Navi GPU supporting ray tracing and 8K graphics, a custom 3D Audio chip, and a server-class SSD.

A demo has a so-called interstitial jump in SpiderMan that takes 15 seconds on a PS4 and 0.8 seconds on the PS5 demo system. This suggests an NVMe SSD is used.

https://blocksandfiles.com/2019/04/16/sony-next-gen-playstation-using-ssd-for-flash-based-gaming/
  • https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Full interview with ps5 chief architect (2020 release date Btw).
  • Literally yesterday's news.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    NVMe has stupidly fast read write speeds with my Samsung unit being one of the fastest. It can copy 5gb of data in around 6 seconds. Apparently they are way ahead of the competition. Maybe Sony are partnering with them.

However, devs being devs they’ll just increase the file size requirements and it’ll probably all even out at similar performance to today’s machines.

For example Dishonored on my PC is a blink and you’ll miss it load. Metro Exodus is still a typical wait to load affair.
  • Cerny (Chief Architect) was saying it would a server class SSD so probably a custom NVMe SSD. 19 times faster than home PC SSD's will mean its quick. RTX graphics card and 8k gaming will ensure a level of future proofing. Nice that Sony are not going streaming only and having backwards compatiblity with the PS4.
  • Hopefully you’ll be able to play it on a phone though for the generation win
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Did anyone hear Cerny got interviewed by Wired?

19x speed innit

And you can play it streamed to Nintendo Switch 2
  • HOLISTIC POULTICE
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    WINNING SOUP
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Microsoft will follow through on the less is more approach to first party titles of xbox one and only release one game - sea of gears of halo: horizon.

Basically a halo game where you can race warthogs around Britain, swearing  a lot and going "aaaarrrr!"

0CPC2yg.jpg

FNF. “Aaaarrrrs” optional.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I wonder will that model allows games to be more modular? I don't mean episodic although that's similar but more a case of you got to gamepass and you pickn the parts you want to download. Like fifa but no interest in online or ultimate team? No problem. Want multiplayer halo but not the story? Fine, don't download all the unnecessary stuff.

Uncharted games and the last of us was doing this last gen and this one.
    Ms playing catch up again?
  • It is a legit point that Sony have been doing all this stuff for a while. The demand just hasn’t been there for it to properly break out. Times change and maybe MS have got a winning strategy now.

Personally I still think it makes more sense in the boardroom than the bedrooms, living rooms and parents basements of their customers. MS don’t want their whole games division to hinge on getting one single hardware box right, especially given how badly that affected them last time. That doesn’t mean everyone wants to start playing Halo on the bus.
  • This exact conversation happened last time with the online only and DRM rumours for the Bone. “We’re all old wankers, not the target market, this is the way it’s going now, kids today don’t have the same expectations, what do we know.” Then it was announced and was treated by customers like it came equipped with Bad AIDS.

I don’t know. I’m equally sceptical that Sony can go for a “more of the same but better” approach like last time and expect some huge payoff. A huge part of their success was not making huge mistakes in contrast to MS. The biggest cheer they got at their announcement was that their console wouldn’t have restrictive DRM.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s worth noting that we have talked about streaming far more than Microsoft have. I wouldn’t assume that it’s going to be the central plank of their next gen strategy yet. In fact, I doubt it will be.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But by 2024 rite? That's next gen timeframe surely?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it will be a much bigger thing by then (and on Switch. Probably), but I think it will still be supplemental to the current model (which will likely have expanded to treat W10 and Xbox users as the same) rather than a replacement.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do the two strands conflict? Feels like they might, so they need to get that right...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think it will be a much bigger thing by then (and on Switch. Probably), but I think it will still be supplemental to the current model (which will likely have expanded to treat W10 and Xbox users as the same) rather than a replacement.

They have it set up already with the Microsoft account. You can track purchases, see what devices are linked, see what subs are in play. I'd imagine xbox will be like an office sub with you deciding which machines it's on etc. Obvious benefit of owning xbox hardware or windows 10 is that it would be baked in as such.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A couple of hints as to where this might be going have turned up. There was a W10 beta recently that very much appeared to be getting users to test installing and running an Xbox game directly on Windows 10. Microsoft are also talking about unifying Xbox and Windows development so one SDK runs on both.

I think that merging Xbox and W10 will be a focus for the early part of next gen. It makes a lot of sense too, think of the install base.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Do the two strands conflict? Feels like they might, so they need to get that right...

Mayber? They feel fairly complementary to me. At least for the time being.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup, agreed, hard to tell really
  • digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I wonder will that model allows games to be more modular? I don't mean episodic although that's similar but more a case of you got to gamepass and you pickn the parts you want to download. Like fifa but no interest in online or ultimate team? No problem. Want multiplayer halo but not the story? Fine, don't download all the unnecessary stuff.
    Uncharted games and the last of us was doing this last gen and this one. Ms playing catch up again?

Bungie split halo 2 into 2 games.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sega split Sonic 3 into 2 games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!