The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Hey that's my fucking line, the fucking specky hack.
  • Stadia is going to be a platform for Flappy Bird clones, confirmed.
  • monkey wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I wonder what Michael Pachter has to say
    Actually I happened to see an ok video he did on stadia. The summary is he doesn’t see it taking off and thinks it’s difficult to get a ‘Netflix for games’ model that reimburses publishers to the extent they’re already getting from selling games. Or you can do that but then it’s prohibitively expensive for consumers. He actually seems to have some idea what he’s on about here. This is a better format for him than tweeting blindingly obvious predictions.
    https://youtu.be/ZLU6oHqv4io

well i’ll be
  • Oh god I think he is off on his pay-per-hour model.
    It would suit pubs but gamers wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick.

The logical model to me is to have a store front and Netflix system combined, basically what MS currently have. Publishers want that first week of sales, a sub model can't compete with that on profit, however after that initial burst games don't make much money so subscription fees are a bonus extra round.
    There just needs to be enough of a delay so people do still buy day one if keen.

This mirrors other industries that often have an initial round of purchasing before going onto subs, such as the cinema or cable TV.
    Music works the other way round, streaming creates interest for live music events.
    The only media that doesn't really have multiple revenue streams are books but they are also much lower budget to create than games or movies.
  • Are there not subscription services for ebooks? I would have thought that's a thing by now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Amazon Prime includes Kindle books, there’s a separate Netflix-style sub you can take out as well (although apparently that’s full of trash).
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yep, playing games on my laptop always suffers in comparison to plonked on the ottoman a few feet away from a 5.5 inch monster.

I fixed that typo for u

That’s a reasonable girth m8.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Payg model for Stadia?
    Lol Pachter, he still doesn't know consumers/gamers.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Could you imagine the grinding put in to games if pubs were getting a dollar an hour?
  • There used to be this thing called an arcade game, where you stood in a pub and put in coins per play. Proper mental.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Oh god I think he is off on his pay-per-hour model.
    It would suit pubs but gamers wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick.

The logical model to me is to have a store front and Netflix system combined, basically what MS currently have. Publishers want that first week of sales, a sub model can't compete with that on profit, however after that initial burst games don't make much money so subscription fees are a bonus extra round.
    There just needs to be enough of a delay so people do still buy day one if keen.

This mirrors other industries that often have an initial round of purchasing before going onto subs, such as the cinema or cable TV.
    Music works the other way round, streaming creates interest for live music events.
    The only media that doesn't really have multiple revenue streams are books but they are also much lower budget to create than games or movies.
    Yeah payg is a non-starter unless it’s stupidly cheap. I’m not getting lost in an RPG with the meter always running. PS Plus works ok but it’s too piece meal. You can sort of guess a game is going to make it there eventually so you wait but it might not. A more comprehensive service where games will definitely end up there, could be good. Then you can own it now or wait. And that’s beneficial for the companies and the customers.
  • @Pop
    Yeah and half of them were designed to rinse your wallet rapidly.
  • Arcade games are designed to get you off almost as quick as possible. I don’t want to go near the triple A game that needs you to play 60 hours before they’ve made the money they want.
  • Most of the 'big' games are padded out to all fuck anyway, to try and justify the entry cost. They don't give much of a shit if any of it is actually worthwhile or adds to the overall feel of the thing.
  • I thought this thread would be full of PS5 chatter by now!

www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console

8K output, Ray-Tracing, and SSD as standard. Oh, and backwards compatible with PS4 games. Excite?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • JonB wrote:
    Literally yesterday's news.

;)
  • Yep, playing games on my laptop always suffers in comparison to plonked on the ottoman a few feet away from a 5.5 inch monster.

I fixed that typo for u

That’s a reasonable girth m8.

It's a monster chode
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Like a catering sized tin of plum tomatoes.
  • I liked @Bob 's idea of a mobilebone tablet. I only so that when you do local network play on lots of mobilebones you can call it a skeleton.

Which sounded better in my head.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

• 8 cores, 1.6GHz base, 3.2 GHz boost for the CPU. Not too bad at all, and a really massive leap from the current gen. That plus an SSD, and hardware accelerated 3D audio (I really really like that), make this a 'proper' next gen IMO. Shinies won't be that different, but performance, responsiveness, and the scale and complexity of worlds that can be created will be a really impressive thing indeed.
  • I'm quite bad with tech but wasnt one of the issues with this gen not being a huge leap the relatively low ram the cpu and GPU had to work with? Has that changed a lot for this new gen?

Also , how does this compare with a bone x? Big leap over that as well or just a bit better?
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’m a little surprised Sony are showing their hand before m$ unless they’re really confident it’s going to present the best?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    For me we’re really at the point where graphics are fine, so it’s great to hear things like hard drive speed and CPU for things like open world complexity are a major focus of the forthcoming gen.  Can’t wait to play the likes of Cyberpunk 2077 and Starfield on something beastly.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I’m a little surprised Sony are showing their hand before m$ unless they’re really confident it’s going to present the best?

Microsoft’s two console strategy for next gen seems to have been designed specifically to ensure that they have the best, regardless of cost.

Truth is, I think Sony might be a little shook by all of the momentum MS shave been building in the lead up to the next gen.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm quite bad with tech but wasnt one of the issues with this gen not being a huge leap the relatively low ram the cpu and GPU had to work with? Has that changed a lot for this new gen? Also , how does this compare with a bone x? Big leap over that as well or just a bit better?

Unknown at this point, but I would hope to see a major improvement.. I think one of the issues was the fact the GPU and CPU were sharing the bandwidth to access the RAM, which caused a bit of a bottleneck which meant things like anisotropic filtering which normally has a negligible performance impact typically had to be at quite a low setting.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Truth is, I think Sony might be a little shook by all of the momentum MS shave been building in the lead up to the next gen.

I know I’m going to regret asking but go on... what momentum??

The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Getting back to this:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm quite bad with tech but wasnt one of the issues with this gen not being a huge leap the relatively low ram the cpu and GPU had to work with? Has that changed a lot for this new gen?

Also , how does this compare with a bone x? Big leap over that as well or just a bit better?

The major upgrade (from my understanding at least) will be in the CPU.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I know I’m going to regret asking but go on... what momentum??

Game Pass, crossplay, Xbox One X, adaptive controller, buying studios. MS have made a lot of strong moves over the past two or three years, and are getting the positive coverage that comes with that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!