Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Also, just to make one thing clear here: there does seem to be a tendency on this forum to view everything through the lens of console wars. That’s understandable, considering the history of this place, but it’s not what was going on here, not from my perspective at least.

I think it’s worth taking on board what people are actually saying rather than immediately assuming it’s part of some sort of flame war when that isn’t necessarily the case.

I wasn’t talking about anyone winning or losing the next generation. I wasn’t slagging off Sony (or anyone else). I was just talking about things that interested me about the next gen.

The only console wars that were going on were in your collective heads.

This.
    I'm sure we can engage in conversation about things videogames related on a videogames forum.
    All of the things video and games interest me greatly.

o/
  • There's room for 3 profitable players in the console market at the moment plus there's the pc.
    Plenty of room methinks for everyone and plenty of choice for gamers.

MS has their own personal battle in trying to take the iron pc gaming throne from Valve and unify pc and xbox gaming under the DX12 flag. Mega bonus points (if unlikely) for them if they manage to do so.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • So getting back to this a min yoss.
    What is the point of the diskless model that's just come out then?
    It doesn't seem to be cheaper or better in anyway and there's no bluray player in it anymore.

I thought it was gonna be like a step towards the next model and although not as powerful would stream the more demanding stuff or something.

Edit: what I'm getting at is will it not stream the next gen stuff?
    Is this like there final xboxone model?
  • Nah, bollocks. You mention what Microsoft are doing and how you think they are doing teh awesum things, Davie and Bob jump in to question it. Sun rise, Sun set.

Knock yourselves out doing it as it makes no difference to me, but don't dismiss it as people projecting when it's the same people every time in the same roles every time.
  • Cut out that high five bullshit you should never touch the Sony scum.
  • MS could go stadia streaming but not sure if they have the server infrastructure ready for that at this point in time. I suspect they are eyeing that possibility but aren't ready yet. They certainly have the funds tho.

Sony does have a streaming psn solution (I think) but it's not exactly their main focus just yet. Perhaps next next gen.

I suspect Nintendo absolutely luvs the Stadia model.
    Total control over servers, ip and customer accounts plus a cheap streaming client. Perfect for a switch successor. They're unexperienced at online setups tho', Nintendo is definitely NOT ready for setting up a streaming online platform.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    So getting back to this a min yoss.
    What is the point of the diskless model that's just come out then?
    It doesn't seem to be cheaper or better in anyway and there's no bluray player in it anymore.

I thought it was gonna be like a step towards the next model and although not as powerful would stream the more demanding stuff or something.

Edit: what I'm getting at is will it not stream the next gen stuff?
    Is this like there final xboxone model?

It is cheaper from Microsoft, it will be cheaper everywhere once it’s been on shelves a few months and retailers start applying their own discounts.

What’s the point is, I think, Microsoft testing the waters for the possibility of an all digital future (which I don’t think is locked down yet).

Whether it will stream next gen stuff, I don’t know. It seems quite possible, but nothing’s been confirmed or even particularly rumoured as yet.

I expect it should be the last Bone SKU, but again, I don’t know.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nah, bollocks. You mention what Microsoft are doing and how you think they are doing teh awesum things.

I’m confused by this. I feel like I’m being accused of something, but can’t work out what.
  • The only thing you stand accused of is high hopes of Microsoft and believing that they are doing good stuff.

It's the Other Lot I'm bitterly angry with.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can live with that accusation.

I think it’s only the past few years that I’ve discovered positivity after being a cynical cunt for most of my life. I like it.
  • I like your positive attitude.
  • Cut out that high five bullshit you should never touch the Sony scum.
    I like your positive attitude.

Sure shows.
    Safetywinkysmile.gif

I love all the positivity, games are meant to be fun, mostly!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    And, FWIW, my point around all of this is more that traditional metrics of winning or losing a generation won’t apply to the next one. That interests me.
    They haven't applied to the last 2 really.

In that there aren't really any losers any more. I suppose the Wii U, but given how strong they are on first party stuff, maybe not. But the market can support Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, even if one is way behind the others. So you can be a 'loser', who sells as many units as the NES, but you've also been able to flog online subs, digital games, films, TV. And this stuff is only going to expand.
  • The interest for me comes from what MS are doing because it seems different.

The latest Sony details are great, absolutely fine but not really any different from the generational jumps we have seen the past few gens.

It's very easy to predict success for Sony. Who wouldnt want the same as what they are doing but shinier, faster and more reliable.

What MS are doing could be a revolution in the industry, as big as Steam was for PC gaming maybe bigger, maybe not maybe it wont appeal well enough to consumers to kick off. Maybe they will hold back and it's just a sub feature.
    I cant possibly say right now but it is interesting to me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think a challenge for Microsoft this upcoming gen is that they're trying a new and untested way of redefining what a first-party platform is while presumably also relying on new IP for their software since they didn't really build up that much this gen. So you've got a whole bunch of unfamiliarity while Sony is there with familiar kit and some stuff you recognise from the PS4 era.

It could go really well or it could mildly flop a bit? Who knows.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Totally agree.
    That's what makes it interesting innit.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's gonna be interesting because we'll potentially end up with three platforms that are succeeding on their own terms. It's been seven years since the market was last dud-free.
  • And in a different way to before as well.
    Options benefit the consumer so it's all good by me.
  • Just rename this thread to o/\o
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think a challenge for Microsoft this upcoming gen is that they're trying a new and untested way of redefining what a first-party platform is while presumably also relying on new IP for their software since they didn't really build up that much this gen. So you've got a whole bunch of unfamiliarity while Sony is there with familiar kit and some stuff you recognise from the PS4 era.

It could go really well or it could mildly flop a bit? Who knows.
    Aye, will be interesting to see if the whole leveraging Xbox brand to bump services, subscriptions, win 10 gaming etc, while Sony makes a games console, will be a replay of the start of this gen with the attempt to leverage Xbox as a do-it-all machine with tvtvtv etc
  • Nah, bollocks. You mention what Microsoft are doing and how you think they are doing teh awesum things, Davie and Bob jump in to question it. Sun rise, Sun set.

Knock yourselves out doing it as it makes no difference to me, but don't dismiss it as people projecting when it's the same people every time in the same roles every time.
    Let’s not pretend that Yoss isn’t playing his part, eh Tiger?

This was the kickoff:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I’m a little surprised Sony are showing their hand before m$ unless they’re really confident it’s going to present the best?

Microsoft’s two console strategy for next gen seems to have been designed specifically to ensure that they have the best, regardless of cost.

Truth is, I think Sony might be a little shook by all of the momentum MS shave been building in the lead up to the next gen.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just rename this thread to o/\o

I'm not high-fiving you filthy Xbox-loving fucks.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    What about the Xbox brand is worthy of that most esteemed hand signal, the high five? It has both fewer than five hardware platforms to date and fewer than five games, on account of having NO GAMES.
  • 360 was better than PS3 though, because Cell and RSX especially sucked the big one.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I find it nuts how I went from a huge portion of my gaming taking place on 360 because of its exclusives and the majority of multi-platform games being better on it to just straight up having no reason to buy an Xbox One. Scalebound being cancelled was the final straw for me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also, while we're talking about new hardware, WHERE IS THE XBOX CLASSIC MINI MICROSOFT YOU LAZY FUCKS??? EVERYONE ELSE HAS DONE ONE.
  • It is a different business model.
    In the past/present console manufacturers would calculate a loss on units and offset it based on license gains of new game sales.

I can see why MS want to move away from it, as early as the MD there were attempts to bypass it (the EA, yellow rag carts etc).
    All the top boys have suffered severe piracy as well. PS1 and 2, Xbox and 360, Wii, DS, Advance, Dreamcast. All heavily pirated.

The worst being PSP imho, where many were pirating not only because of cost but convenience of not carrying UMDs. The attach rate on PSP must be laughable.

That is the weigh up. Do you fuck the rights of the second hand buyers or do you risk piracy and publisher bypasses (hell what is EA Access but those yellow tag carts?).

MS definitely jumped the gun this gen, but I think they have done a lot to change attitude and indeed their own services.

If they did what they did back at that E3 this year, it still wouldn't be popular but it wouldn't be as unpopular as then.
    I actually think their biggest barrier is that most console gamers are on PS and cant appreciate game pass. They need to sell their service but dont have the audience yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!