The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    What’s supposed to be so groundbreaking with the Ps5 audio compared to the standard 5.1 Dolby Atmos?

Sony are using a PS4 equivalent processor to create a sound scape from two normal TV speakers that makes you think it’s surround sound.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think that's complete gubbins, in fact I remember making a crack during the wii reveal that it has surround sound buy swinging the nuchuk round your head. You could hook up twenty of the worlds best gwaffix processors 1080ti or whatever they are, to a 14@ grundig crt from 1986 and it still won't be 8k 280hz HDR
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    What’s supposed to be so groundbreaking with the Ps5 audio compared to the standard 5.1 Dolby Atmos?

Sony are using a PS4 equivalent processor to create a sound scape from two normal TV speakers that makes you think it’s surround sound.

So the same effect you get when wearing stereo headphones with Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic for Headphones but thru the TV instead ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nice feature, but if you wear headphones every time you game like me it's not really any use then?
  • It will work also with headphones I assume, just a different configuration. I was under the impression that for this gen Sony had virtual surround sound locked into proprietary headphone purchases, which is bullshit, not sure if that's still a thing currently. But I think the new stuff should work for whatever stereo output device you plug in, so that's great. Also if there's an API that all devs can use for full 3 dimensional audio that will be kickass.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Nice feature, but if you wear headphones every time you game like me it's not really any use then?

The tech that makes it work for the worst version set up (tv speakers) means headphones version will be even better.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:

From what I’ve been told:

Atmos can give about 25-35 sounds sources and requires a dedicated type of hardware setup.
    Tempest 3D audio can give hundreds and will, eventually, work on everything from in-ear to in-built TV speakers.

Basically, it seems Sony assumes that dedicated audio setups are a hard sell for most people and developed something that would work on most consumer tech.

Also, it’s got built-in stuff to compensate for the fact that people, you know, hear different.

Tl;dr

The sony stuff will work on your current headphones with hundreds of sources and multiple HRTF setups.

Atmos needs specific hardware, has fewer sources and no changes depending on, you know, your own hearing.
  • FranticPea wrote:

It is being designed for headphones first and will, apparently, be better than atmos even on entry level headphones.
  • So...the PS5 can make your TV throw its voice?
  • So if I’m considering buying a full av setup of amp, sub and loadsa speakers, then should I wait for a while?  Surely it can’t be better than that can it or perhaps the surround sound gig up?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'll have to hear it in action I suppose, but right now it sounds like top tier bollocks to me.

• Or could it be they don’t want to pay the Dolby license for 120 million ps5’s and have worked out developing their own tech is miles cheaper long term?
  • Nah, Atmos also supports hundreds of sources, it’s not capped, however you do need an Atmos setup. Be interesting to see how a Tempest chip gets any kind of quality out of poorer speakers in sets under 55” which is where the quality drops. All sounds like arse to me, like a fancy Microsoft's Windows Sonic Spatial Sound which is similar but also massively limited.
  • Or could it be they don’t want to pay the Dolby license for 120 million ps5’s and have worked out developing their own tech is miles cheaper long term?
    So the UHD movies won’t he playable in Dolby Atmos ? Which I highly doubt.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Or could it be they don’t want to pay the Dolby license for 120 million ps5’s and have worked out developing their own tech is miles cheaper long term?
    So the UHD movies won’t he playable in Dolby Atmos ? Which I highly doubt.

Nope, they’re not supporting it.
  • I wonder how big a priority UHD discs will be anyway? Those seem pretty niche.
  • It’s a shame if they are niche, quality is incredible. Streaming etc doesn’t come close, particularly in terms of sound.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So...the PS5 can make your TV throw its voice?

That’s the implication.
    So if I’m considering buying a full av setup of amp, sub and loadsa speakers, then should I wait for a while?  Surely it can’t be better than that can it or perhaps the surround sound gig up?

The hardware quality of a proper amp / sub etc will be better than headphones. But, at launch, Tempest 3D won’t be optimised to take advantage of it.

That said, of course a good standalone speaker will sound better, in terms of fidelity, than you average headphones.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Nah, Atmos also supports hundreds of sources, it’s not capped, however you do need an Atmos setup. Be interesting to see how a Tempest chip gets any kind of quality out of poorer speakers in sets under 55” which is where the quality drops. All sounds like arse to me, like a fancy Microsoft's Windows Sonic Spatial Sound which is similar but also massively limited.

That’s categorically not true unless I’ve been mislead?

At 7.1 atmos had, in theory, around 110-120 channels for different objects. Most people don’t run 7.1 and that channel cap is rarely utilised due to dev / streaming considerations. Tempest has thousands of actual channels.
  • As per official atmos documentation:
    Dolby Atmos is based on the concept of sound objects. In the cinema, Dolby Atmos relies on a combination of 9.1 ‘‘bed’’ channels and up to 118 simultaneous sound objects

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf  - Page 3
  • Just going by what Dolby said pretty dude after the Cerny boreathon, saw it in a post somewhere.

Is it true Dolby Atmos is capped at 32 objects?

No, that is incorrect. As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of simultaneous objects.

That being said, we fall back on sage advice from developers of some of the first Atmos games: objects are a fantastic tool, but restraint should be shown with respect to the number of objects active at any time. Too many objects in motion can create a confusing soundscape.

Developers have also told us that avoiding the horizontal "bed" for an all-object mix is an unnecessarily time-consuming and labor-intensive effort. So far, developers are creating next-generation mixes by blending bed audio and object audio.

So after reading your post above it is indeed capped but not at the 25-32 sources initially said?
  • Yeah, it’s capped at 118, and you’ve done a very generous reading of “hundreds” but in real world use falls far below that, often falls around or below 30.

It also requires a dedicated hardware setup.

This is absolutely not a case of not wanting to pay the licensing fee. They’re looking beyond the industry standard for this one.
  • Seems like they do it to observe general practices to keep the audio space from becoming confusing for the listener.

Looks like they set a developer limit to 32. But the codec can handle significantly more. It just didn’t sound good to have that many sounds happening at once. They use a Dolby MAT container allowing real-time Atmos encoding (up to 32 objects or channels) in PCM with low latency. Dolby supplies the tools, but game designers decide how many (and which) sounds get encoded as objects and which get mixed into channels.

We’ll see I’m sure, but it still sounds like dreams to me. Good sound has always needed dedicated hardware, if they can take general/poorer quality speakers below at least an expensive 55” TV and make anything that sounds like my Atmos setup I’ll eat my own arsehole.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am here for them making good sound and Cocha eating his arsehole.
  • It might be bullshit but they spent a fair chunk of time trying to sell it (and don’t forget that the controller is part of this audio immersion set up and they’ve decided they needed a whole PS4 processor just for Powering the sound). I don’t think it’s going to be bullshit.

I got these new Sony headphones and it includes a demo of their 3D audio tech (unfortunately you need to be on tidal, deezer to hear more music) and it seemed convincing to me. They even ask for a photo of your ear. If this tech is some lesser version of the PS5 version I think it’ll be really goo sounding.

The way to look at it is this (imo) - not is it better than Atmos (a 9.1 set up will always win and has the actual ability to convince you audio is coming from anywhere) but rather - if they have the tech to make your crap default TV speakers feel like immersive audio - how good will just headphones sound? It feels exciting to me!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It might be bullshit but they spent a fair chunk of time trying to sell it (and don’t forget that the controller is part of this audio immersion set up and they’ve decided they needed a whole PS4 processor just for Powering the sound). I don’t think it’s going to be bullshit.

I got these new Sony headphones and it includes a demo of their 3D audio tech (unfortunately you need to be on tidal, deezer to hear more music) and it seemed convincing to me. They even ask for a photo of your ear. If this tech is some lesser version of the PS5 version I think it’ll be really goo sounding.

The way to look at it is this (imo) - not is it better than Atmos (a 9.1 set up will always win and has the actual ability to convince you audio is coming from anywhere) but rather - if they have the tech to make your crap default TV speakers feel like immersive audio - how good will just headphones sound? It feels exciting to me!

That's the bit I'm calling bollocks on.

I'm sure it'll sound great with a headset/surround set up.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I’d say I’ve eaten worse but I really don’t think I have.

I state again that I’ll be getting both at launch so this isn't hating on Sony, I just think it’s gonna be the same as always, it’ll need a good setup to notice any difference at all, and an extremely good setup to notice a big difference.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I’d say I’ve eaten worse but I really don’t think I have.

I state again that I’ll be getting both at launch so this isn't hating on Sony, I just think it’s gonna be the same as always, it’ll need a good setup to notice any difference at all, and an extremely good setup to notice a big difference.

I'm just a fan of the hustle/risk here. Respect.
  • It might be bullshit but they spent a fair chunk of time trying to sell it (and don’t forget that the controller is part of this audio immersion set up and they’ve decided they needed a whole PS4 processor just for Powering the sound). I don’t think it’s going to be bullshit.

That's the bit I'm calling bollocks on.

I'm sure it'll sound great with a headset/surround set up.

They might be chatting shit but why would they say it ? Even if it’s the worst level of surround it’ll still be a great effort. No one is clamouring for this feature (like BC) so why pull it out their ass unless they have something? [most cynical take: its Sony entering the “licence this tech” market again and they need a 3D audio angle on their big new tech so that people will start getting involved with it on a wider basis - but even then I think its such an unecessary promise that they must have something]

From the talk and the description of their tech it also feels plausible because the illusion feels workable to me.
  • There was an 8D audio file I heard recently that was doing the rounds that basically adds reverb to give 3D effect using standard ear phones and it sounded pretty good. Is this what Sony are trying to do?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/8d-audio-youtube.amp

It doesn't work without headphones though.

I have the most basic Atmos setup (5.1.2) which sounds incredible and Sonos have the Arc Atmos Soundbar out which is apparently great but still £800 so I welcome Sony making these things more accessible to the masses.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!