The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Do visuals matter that much any more when everyone is addicted to slay the spire, into the breach etc?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My understanding is that originally Xbox were trying to trap PS5 in a pincer formation, with a box that was cheaper than PS5 and a box that was more powerful than PS5. But then PS5 ended up being on a par with the powerful Xbox and fucked it all up.

Perhaps Xbox have boosted the power of the powerful Xbox as a response (or it's all bollocks).

If next gen ends up as a chaotic two-pronged fight over pricing and power with multiple SKUs and stuff then I'll probably wait and see how it pans out before purchasing as I don't want to unnecessarily miss out on graphics or good exclusive games.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Vela wrote:
    Do visuals matter that much any more when everyone is addicted to slay the spire, into the breach etc?

handful of people on a forum isn’t everyone
  • Series X is their top end launch SKU, too, right? Likely their base model (Series S?) falls in line with PS4 or thereabouts.

As I understand it Series X is the launch box, with a more powerful box to follow in relatively short order.

Can’t remember where I picked that idea up from though, so take it with a pinch of salt.
  • poprock wrote:
    Series X is their top end launch SKU, too, right? Likely their base model (Series S?) falls in line with PS4 or thereabouts.

As I understand it Series X is the launch box, with a more powerful box to follow in relatively short order.

Can’t remember where I picked that idea up from though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Could be that way. I’d thought I’d heard the contrary and assumed that if we follow the XBox One naming convention then X = flagship.

But yeah...could easily be mistaken.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Do visuals matter that much any more when everyone is addicted to slay the spire, into the breach etc?

I think there is definitely a big audience for these games and I’m massive fan, but the shiny has its place too. When you see real time ray tracing working, even at lower resolutions, it really adds to the feeling of atmosphere in a game. Beyond that manufacturers and game publishers need to be pushing the visual envelope as that is what is easy to market in videos and screenshots.
  • Ok so a better example is fortnite. It's well beyond the point where shinies are essential when functional and smooth visuals are enough to underpin a massive game.

Arguably the more important specs are network and integration based. Visual fidelity is more emphasised in the big first party tentpole releases.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • These are arguments to not buy a PS5 either.
  • The base model is Uncanny X-Box, which will be followed with Astonishing X-Box, All New X-Box, Amazing X-Box, Extraordinary X-Box, and the confusingly titled X-Box Gold.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Has there been any conformation regarding the dimensions of the new xbox? I keep hearing that it's huge, but from my estimates it's no taller than the one x is wide, and about half as deep.
  • Has there been any conformation regarding the dimensions of the new xbox? I keep hearing that it's huge, but from my estimates it's no taller than the one x is wide, and about half as deep.

Doubt it’ll be that big. Optical drive seems just under half the length, so same size as current gen. just different shape.
  • Yeah I thought the reports of it being huge were a bit odd as it doesnt look that big based on the controller and disc slot.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Has there been any conformation regarding the dimensions of the new xbox? I keep hearing that it's huge, but from my estimates it's no taller than the one x is wide, and about half as deep.

Doubt it’ll be that big. Optical drive seems just under half the length, so same size as current gen. just different shape.

I've only based that off the disk slot. The one x is double the width of a cd case.
  • If the last gen is any guide, just get the messaging right around the product and churn out first-party games of reasonable quality. MS lost the PR war so hard that the console never recovered (for some YMMV etc).
  • monkey wrote:
    As long as they’re both sufficiently close to each other (and they will be) that cross-platformers can be released without major differences, then it doesn’t matter. As per Moot’s breakdown above, previous gen ‘winners’ weren’t decided on specs.

Apart from this gen. obvs. Where PS4 smoked it

The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Xbox 360 had around 85% the power of PS3
    ?
    GPU perf didn’t stack up at all though - RSX was crappy compared to Xenos. Roughly same gflops but 10x memory bandwidth to the EDRAM and at least 4x ROP output (which is why PS3 multiplats suffered so badly during heavy alpha overdraw). In an age of everyone going deferred, that mem bandwidth was crucial, as it also was when they tried to repeat with xbone ESRAM, but Sony didn’t skimp and let GPU address entire RAM at even higher speeds than the tiny 32MB ESRAM, buying them a significant perf advantage.
  • Has there been any conformation regarding the dimensions of the new xbox?

The Negative Zone is confirmed, but no word on anything else.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I think there is definitely a big audience for these games and I’m massive fan, but the shiny has its place too. When you see real time ray tracing working, even at lower resolutions, it really adds to the feeling of atmosphere in a game. Beyond that manufacturers and game publishers need to be pushing the visual envelope as that is what is easy to market in videos and screenshots.

Yarp. There are a whole bunch of smaller, less demanding games I love on the Switch, but there’s no way it could handle a reasonable port of Marvel’s Spider-man.
  • Would explain why they’re adding an attachment to the Dual Shock 4.
  • Can't wait to see what the next big open world game does with more buttons.
  • Let’s you ‘control’ the camera I expect
    The Forum Herald™
  • I wonder if face buttons will become more and more redundant like the dpad. With these you could arguably never take your hands off the thumbsticks and be basically at full control 95% of the time in some games.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Ha ha @MattyJ DF think that will still be the case if the MS solution is closer to that 12 TF figure. Will be interesting to see. I’m willing to wait it out but will eventually get both anyway if the exclusives are good enough. My initial thought is if the X is far more powerful then get that for multi-plat plus GamePass and then pick up the PS5 maybe a year or so later and I can then play through the Sony exclusives.

I'd give it 3 or so years before they have a catalogue that justifies the outlay, Just like the last 4 generations.
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wonder if face buttons will become more and more redundant like the dpad. With these you could arguably never take your hands off the thumbsticks and be basically at full control 95% of the time in some games.

That's how it works with the Xbox Elite pad. Some madmen like Frantic have got used to having all four face buttons back there, but I've been happy with just two as in an action game having jump and duck/dodge on there means my thumbs are for movement and (look away Bob) camera.

It'll take some getting used to but once you do it's a far better system.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oh yeh, I forgot pads have face buttons.
  •  

3D stacking a possible main feature next gen?
    I really need to upgrade my rig lol.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah Intel and AMD and others probably are dabbling strongly in this kind of stuff, the future is certainly in chiplets and the arrangement of them into a package, really going to be interesting in the next few years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!