52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • 82. Lonely Mountains Downhill - Xbox One

A late surge for game of the year, in at #2.  In many ways it shares similarities with Supermarket Shriek, which it narrowly failed to dethrone from the top of my list.  It can be played as high concentration burst gaming, and it requires/expects the player to improve constantly.  For such a simple game - guide your bicycle to the bottom of a long descent without falling off it - there's a lot going on.  It's part part checkpoint progress/route learn frustrate 'em up, but it can also be a wonderfully serene and laid back affair. The way it incorporates non game breaking elements of DIY route finding push it over the line into extra special territory.  It's a fine game if you stick to the beaten track, but it becomes brilliant once you dare to venture off it.  Shortcuts are essential if you're chasing anyone's time, and they're of a far more free-form nature than in something as ultra designed as Trials.  In that you'd plot your precise route and look for ways to shave tenths of seconds off here and there (or 'cheat', by watching and mimicking top ghosts), but there's far more scope for improvisation in this.  Chuck your bike off a ledge in the right place and you might hit terra firma at an angle and speed that doesn't bounce you off, shaving 12 seconds off a run (see gif).  And if you miss it by inches, the likelihood is you'll want to try it again.  It's not as clinical as the 'this is the shortcut' feel of, say, Mario Kart 8.  I haven't checked to see if this has leaderboard ghosts yet, but I'd hope it doesn't; local seems enough to keep things interesting.     

The pastel visuals and throwback flat shaded character models are great, and although it chugs in places on the busier mountains it's a mostly smooth experience.  It's tricky, but the requirements to unlock all areas aren't particularly tough.  I did like the way it absolutely required an off-piste approach to the speed runs towards the end though.  Super stuff. [9]

giphy.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's part part checkpoint progress/route learn frustrate 'em up...

• Is that Gamepass Moot?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yes
  • Had a crack of it today. Tis lovely.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Had a crack last night two. Enjoyed it. Choice of routes down (with no map) makes it very interesting, and the handling is good. I find it hard to work out when a big drop is gonna wipe me out or not though... Is there any knack to that (like accelerating when you land/angling a particular way)? Had a not of trying short cuts and at times it felt a little bit lucky dip, though overall it seems fair so I imagine the speed challenges will be good some gaming.

Also really like that if you restart a section that doesn't oversee the overall descent time, so you can actually retry section by section (unlike trials), at least for the earlier sections.

Definitely a better game than Supermarket Squeak!
  • As a rule of thumb a big drop will wipe you out unless you land on an incline.  You'll work out what constitutes a big drop with practice.  Certainly for beginners such as myself too much air time is best avoided.  Check out the gif above - if the landing was on flat ground that'd be a bail all day long.  The risk/reward game is strong with this one.
  • 83. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Switch

The journey is over.  It's no secret that I love the original game (it's a straight [10] for me), and the first two DLC campaigns were a mixed bag well worth delving into.  The final freebie is easily the best of the additional quests; King's barge into twist move works far better than the core mechanics of either Plague or Spectre, and the levels built around these moves are superb.  It felt intuitive from the get go and it packs a ton of variety into its stages, plus almost all of the magic items are worth either using regularly or messing around with.  There's an emphasis on secret exits to the stages this time, most of which only contain a single restart point.  It's one of the easier campaigns, mainly thanks to the liberal dishing out of hearts and manual health boost perk, which allows bosses to be bruted a bit more than previous entries, but also because the bubble move is a bit of a get-out-of-jail card.  In addition to the platforming there's a pretty enjoyable card game chucked in the mix too.  Not my sort of thing as a rule, but it won me over as the campaign progressed and I ended up really enjoying the single move puzzles in particular.  

The ending to this one is super stronk and as usual the post game challenge mode is great fun.  The quest is probably the longest too, roughly on par with Shovel Knight and weighing in close to 10hrs if you're not actively avoiding secrets.  A fitting swansong for my favourite platformer of all time.  I loved it.  [9]
  • 51. Hotline Miami - Switch
    Excellent but couldn’t quite click with the targeting system which I found overly fiddly and slightly arbitrary in melee with when it would whack a guy or you’d just swing at the air. When the game works it really works, but there’s slightly too much redoing the same fiddly sequence over and over, in the first part of the level to work out when and where to take out the baddies in the rest. The mix of puzzle and stealth and mindless brutality is very good though. Happy to chalk the control problems up to my own cackhandedness. In the right hands this could easily be a 10. Some of the best bits are when the plan goes to shit and you’re back-pedalling through the level spraying bullets everywhere anyway.
  • 10. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)

Double figures, yay! Should be able to add s couple more games by year end.

This started off as a bit meh on first playthrough. I just went through all stages and didn’t see the fuss. But then trying to get all gold and all cards on second run through was good. Some dud levels and tunes but there are also some great ones. The mix of perspectives and styles is great. Going for high scores could be fun but I think I’m done for now. A couple of missing cards and fuck trying to get gold on last level though.

[8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 84. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Switch

Typical Nintendo box of delights that (unexpectedly) has its copybook blotted by numerous niggles and design flaws.  It's probably unfair on Next Level Games' achievements to say that if this were in-house it could've been spectacular, but knowing how Ninty's own AAA titles often turn out it's hard not to yearn for what could have been.  Perhaps it's fairer to say that this would've benefited greatly from Nintendo sending the boys round with some spit and polish in the final throws of development.  The game that did hit the shelves is positively brimming with genius, and the hotel is so well designed the likelihood is you'll forgive its transgressions on the whole, but the controls are alarmingly janky for a modern 3D title.  At times it's not a problem, but when it is - often to do with the Y axis aiming - with the best will in the world you are going to get pissed off with it.  The good vastly outweighs the bad (this may even be the best LM game), but this coulda been a (goty) contender.   

It's quite a long game, but the tasks are varied despite the surprisingly limited number of fodder type ghosts throughout.  Bosses are mostly legit (not you, rubber dinghy rapidly-losing-patience-here guy), graphics are pretty much astonishing and the co-op mode is a more than valid way to play.  In fact, it's probably the best way to play.  This was flitting between a [7] and a [8] for most of the campaign, but the final boss fluffed its lines, chiefly thanks to the aiming (again).  

Very, very good in places, but also very, very annoying overall, both for frustrations with the gameplay and with the nagging sensation of what might have been.  It probably deserves more praise than I've given it. [7]
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    What do you mean by last boss?
    Spoiler:
    Cause I didn't have a problem with that, but I think B ran into the same problems as you. Agree with your review though. 

Did you manage to find any of the special ghosts or boo's? I had a look at my collection and I've only found the regular ghosts and bosses, quite disappointed with that.
  • Spoiler:
    Didn't find any special ghosts or boos.  I found quite a few gems along the way but I'm not much of a mopper upper so I'm done.  There's a chance I'll Google the whereabouts of the boss I missed midway and defeat that though.

Edit: and the stage 15 boss would've been easier in co-op for sure, but it was just that bit too tricky for Tilly to get to grips with what was required of Gooigi so we got through a couple of bones for that.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, same problem B had, guess I got lucky there.
  • 85. Super Hydorah - Switch

Back to the short ones.  I'm no expert on scrolling shmups, chiefly because I've always considered myself impressively shit at them so I don't play many, but I know what I like and this hit the spot.  It felt fair for a start, which wasn't often a word that sprung to mind when I tried playing this sort of thing in the early 90s or via emulation.  Example: I'm sure UN Squadron is a belter, but I struggled to get through the damn thing WITH SAVE STATES.  See also: Hellfire and a dozen others.  Hydorah takes inspiration from your R-Type/Gradius types, but managed to feel tricky without obliterating my resolve by the third stage.  Maybe I'm just awesome at games now and I should revisit the classics?  I went from three continues used to a final tally of fourteen on the last two stages, so it definitely wasn't a pushover, but I'm reasonably confident this would be on the easy side for skilled players.     

Not only does it play well, replete with fully functioning two player mode, multiple weapons/sub-weapons and non miserly uggrade system/restart points, it also looks and sounds impressively close to what the devs were clearly aiming for, CRT scanlines and all.  Multiple routes and decent bosses all add up to make this a pretty much excellent attempt to Nu retro the 16-bit scrolling shooters.  I genuinely prefer a few of these heavy handed homage titles to the original games.  [8]

Super-Hydorah.gif
  • 41. Blazing Chrome [7]
    22-30 Dec
    A very effective homage to 16-bit Contra games that gets everything right except perhaps the most important thing. It looks and sounds the part, controls pretty fluidly and sets a solid but fair challenge. Levels are reasonably varied and the bosses are big and require some learning. I enjoyed playing through it and may return to give other characters a try. But it just lacks the spark of imagination of its source material, and even when it gets a little experimental there are no real wow moments. It's one thing invoking the classics, but the real standout quality of the older games was how they pushed the boundaries of the genre. And that's not something you can recreate through mimicry, no matter how respectfully it's done.
  • 11. Rayman Legends (Switch)

Just finished this in co-op with my Boy. So much fun was had! The amazingly well animated and colourful visuals, brilliant music, funny characters and hilarious interactions and animations. And so well balanced in terms of fun and challenge. Above all, the platforming was bliss. As a 2D platformer, it’s almost as good as the best Mario. Just needs a bit more variation on level design and it would actually be the best.

And the whole package is so generous. Copious amounts of levels, characters to unlock, hidden items and collectibles to find, and lots to do after beating the final level. I’ll be sure to play it on my own at some point, but for now I am beaming at the amount of fun I had with my Boy with such a great game.

Very nearly a 10.

[9]
  • Glad you enjoyed it but the actual platforming in Rayman is the weakest part of its game for me.  I played both of the modern releases but it all felt a touch floaty and long winded for my tastes.  Still played pretty well though, definitely better than some, just not quite precise enough to be mentioned alongside the greats imo.
  • It's no Donkey Kong that's for sure :-D
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agree.  It's jostling with Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair for the last Europa League spot.
  • It's no Donkey Kong that's for sure :-D

I’m glad!
  • Haha, good comeback.

Glad you enjoyed Rayman though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wow the rate some of you get through games on here, you could have your own gamung podcast/youtube channel.

I think id struggle to get to half a dozen in a year, but will give it a go this year.
  • I hardly get much time to play nowadays.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Wow the rate some of you get through games on here, you could have your own gamung podcast/youtube channel.

I think id struggle to get to half a dozen in a year, but will give it a go this year.

I don't partake in protest of it killing the retro club thread ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I really wanna get to 52 but always end up with a few big time sinks and fall behind then totally give up in irritation!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!