52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • 3D worldhas really stymied my progress here. I decided I was going to 100% it but the final couple of levels are absolute beasts. It's a hard [10] and one day I hope to be able to write about it.
  • No bosses you say?  Thank fuck.  I’m straight in after Luigi is done.

Edit;  at moot and his yooka laylee
  • I have a cart poised to gather dust if you're interested in a loan.
  • 73. Manual Samuel - Switch

Managed to miss this by a day on gamepass as it dropped off before I got my act together.  Handily it popped up for £2.99 in a recent EShop sale.  It's quite a unique experience, vaguely reminiscent of Octodad in the way limbs are assigned to buttons, but resolutely its own thing.  It plays out like a humour-heavy point 'n click with deliberately cumbersome controls.  You have to keep Samuel alive for 24hrs, which requires the player to take charge of such mundanities as breathing (X & A) and blinking ( B ) while tackling any tasks at hand (drinking coffee, for example - L & R + a timed stab of X and DAMMIT).  It all starts magnificently, but gradually peters out into a bit of a whiffer unfortunately.  When it sticks to what it does best, which is basic puzzles while plate spinning objectives with unwieldy controls, it's absolutely fine and the writing even elicits a titter or two.  Eventually the devs run out of ideas, which is a shame as surely it wouldn't have taken much magic marker ink to come up with something better for the whiteboard than 'let's turn it into a dodgy treacle-slow run 'n gun then add a terrible beat 'em up section at the very end'.  
    Spoiler:
    A harsh [5] then.  It's a game worth experiencing but it does shit the bed quite spectacularly in the final third. 

GIF131.gif
  • Bejewelled Classic (IPad) 6/10

Old match 3 puzzle game from Pop Cap.  I am counting this as done.  Not sure how many hours I spent on this over the last couple of weeks and would rather not know.  It is one of those games that is impossible to put down.  There is an overwhelming desire to play it every time I am watching a movie and a boring bit comes on.  I had to delete it.

It had some new mode since I played it last, years ago.  I played the one called ‘Butterflies’.  In it, each turn one of the jewels on the bottom row becomes a butterfly.  The butterfly goes up one row each turn.  If it makes it to the top row, you lose.  

If I had the self control to just play a couple of games per day it would get a higher score and would probably be a favourite.  As it stands I mostly just feel bad about playing it but at least appreciate the polish that has gone into it.

Outer Worlds (Xbox 1) 7/10

I didn’t enjoy this quite as much as I expected.  I think this is mostly due to the main story not interesting me and the levels feeling a bit samey, meaning that after a while I lost interest in exploring.  My game devolved into a lot of fast travelling to mission markers.  

That said there were some fun characters to meet and dialogue is usually quite witty.  I missed an awful lot, including half the the recruitable characters.  I’ve no doubt that if I came back to the game later when I was more willing to put anther 20 hours and pay more attention, it would be a much more enjoyable experience.  It seems like it would reward a more mischievous player, trying to set the various factions off against one another, being a bit of a swindler.  I didn’t really do much of that.

Was still pretty good but thought I’d like it much more.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • My wife deleted Bejewelled eventually too.  This is going back a few years (might've been on Facebook actually), but it had become an unhealthy obsession.
  • 74. Pikuniku - Switch

Eminently appealing absurdity that's far more family friendly than the usual Devolver shtick.  A light and breezy 3hr puzzle adventure that's never tricky but always enjoyable.  The whole thing has an unforced wit running through it that struck me as entirely successful and the bold Mr. Men types that inhabit the world hit the spot too.  Strip away the charm and it'd be nothing to write home about, sure, but it's all so well packaged it's hard not to love.  Also has a pretty enjoyable standalone co-op mode bolted on.  Not a game to rock anyone's world but definitely worth a punt for sales watchers looking for something a little different [7].

pikuniku1.gif
  • It's pretty clever, I think, in terms of how it uses perspective (or lack of) and messes with cliches. Some decent slapstick as well.
    Spoiler:
  • 21:Smash Bros Ultimate - Switch - 6/10
    Not the best person to play this as not into fighters but just wanted in on the craziness of this...yeah I found out I didn’t really. Looks nice, didn’t really enjoy any of it, but gave it a good go if that counts?

22:Zelda - Links Awakening - Switch - 8/10
    Still a gem of a game but not quite as...fun...as I remember. So many fetch quests and stupidly crafted quests that leave you without a clue unless you happen to have spoken to the right people. Looked beautiful if somewhat stuttered with the frames and the sound effects were created lovingly. Good game, but no longer a great one.

23:Mario - Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Switch - 8/10
    This was, awesome. Loved it. Got very samey samey towards the end but it was still charming and good fun. Loved what they were afforded to do with the cast and all the work put into the perfect visuals. The battle system was simple but had a little depth to it and never got too old to enjoy.

24:DK - Tropical Freeze - Switch - 7/10
    Was a decent game, looked nice, played nice, overstayed it’s welcome a little...and it was a Donkey Kong game. Yeah yeah incredible platformer etc but, still, another DK platforming game. Did what it said on the tin.

25:Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Xbox One X - 8/10
    Really enjoyed this, I do love a CoD campaign to be fair, but this was a particularly good one. Good variation in the levels, decent crappy story, some tense missions, lots of dead bodies, and aces firefights. Still happy to play a CoD campaign every year if of this quality.
  • 35. Ape Out [8]
    5-6 Nov
    I love the style of this, and the structure that unfolds like a classic, high concept arcade game, building on a tight rule set with slight variations throughout. The soundtrack is the highlight, with its jazz drums and cymbals beating out the rhythm of your actions. It's perfect for a style of play that often feels like improv, with its meandering progress routes and moments of panic, that also match the sense of controlling a gorilla run amok. The classic jazz album visual design rounds it off perfectly. The game itself manages to segue between different modes from moment to moment with a very basic control system. Bursts of stealth, twin-stick shooting and maze running blend together. and each enemy type demands its own approach. The only issues really are due to unevenness, in quality of level design and difficulty, with some sections flying by with no new challenges and a few bits proving irritatingly tough (level 3.6, that's you). Otherwise it does exactly what it sets out to do. And the ending is great too.
  • 75. Guacamelee 2 - Switch

I had mixed opinions on the first game, think I may have gone as low as a [5] in one of these threads.  Never clicked with the repetitive fighting and thought the platforming was flimsy & fiddly.  Enter Guac 2, after hearty recs from Muzzy and Jon.  Even so, it took me a while to succumb to its charms.  Most of the front half of the game is overly familiar; it's still a combat heavy Metroidvania lite with regular screens of perilous platforming.  Where it differs from the original is in the design of its challenges - some of the more fiendish layouts are top tier.  By the time you've unlocked a few abilities everything starts to improve, and unusually for a game of this type it manages to keep the juices flowing once you've acquired all the moves.  Even though the moveset is eventually vast the game does an excellent job of teaching you when and where to attempt each manovure to the point where the final zone is absolutely thrilling as you tie everything together on the fly.  Graphics are subtly improved over the first game too, which didn't go unnoticed, and there are plenty of optional challenges, many of which I mopped up along the way.

Overall I still wasn't convinced by the battle sections.  There's not much wrong with the fight system on paper but there was a touch JUST GET ON WITH IT about them, a feeling somewhere between random battles in a 32-bit RPG and and unkippable text.  

As I spent the first half wondering what the fuss was about (as I did with the whole of Guacamelee) I'll have to settle on a [7], which is a bit harsh but we're talking maybe 3-4hrs of merely decent gameplay.  It flourishes as it gets harder, and if the whole thing had been as strong as the back half it may have pushed for a [9]. 

ActiveNaiveAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif
  • If you like the more challenging platform stuff and you haven't done it all, you should go on and get the golden key pieces and do the final challenge behind the golden door.

It's hard to tell from this how much of a headfuck it is:

• Even having only just played it I'm struggling to work out what's going on there.  How is the dimension shift affecting that section?  Does Juan have to stay within the darker timeline?
  • Yeah, that's the thing, You're not doing any dimension shifting yourself but you've got to stay within the darker bands while making the jumps. The way they overlap, and the need to change direction at certain points messes with your head.
  • The fact that the whole thing seems to offer a drop-in multiplayer mode for up for four players is pretty impressive too.  Haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure quite how it works with the platforming sections.
  • It's interesting that most vids I put on YT get a handful of views, if that, but these have had quite a few. The one of the bit behind the golden door is up to 1.5k, so I guess people get pretty stumped by some of this. At times it reminds me of the colour mechanics in Ikaruga, although thankfully in much shorter bursts.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The fact that the whole thing seems to offer a drop-in multiplayer mode for up for four players is pretty impressive too.  Haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure quite how it works with the platforming sections.
    Yeah, I find that odd. I'm guessing one player would end up doing them while others waited. I can't see the advantage in multiple players trying to do the same bit at the same time.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's interesting that most vids I put on YT get a handful of views, if that, but these have had quite a few. The one of the bit behind the golden door is up to 1.5k, so I guess people get pretty stumped by some of this. At times it reminds me of the colour mechanics in Ikaruga, although thankfully in much shorter bursts.

One of those might've been me.  

Looks a bit Outland too, which I still haven't played.  Bought it on 360 many years ago, but I think it's emerged since as a BC Bone addition.  Just watched a trailer and it still looks very interesting:

• Yeah, that was one I always thought I'd get at some point, and then never did.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Outland is good. Not as punishing as stuff like Ikaruga obviously, I managed it easily enough.
  • JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The fact that the whole thing seems to offer a drop-in multiplayer mode for up for four players is pretty impressive too.  Haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure quite how it works with the platforming sections.
    Yeah, I find that odd. I'm guessing one player would end up doing them while others waited. I can't see the advantage in multiple players trying to do the same bit at the same time.
    It falls apart a bit. It just follows player 1 and turns the trailing player into some floating dots that can respawn at P1’s location next time they’re stationary. If P2 is ahead the screen won’t catch up so you’re playing blind. There’s whole sections where you latch on to those mid-air catapult things that will launch you around a few screen lengths at a time. They’re not really playable properly in MP. It’s still way better having it than not, I’ve played through both in MP and it’s good fun. But there are moments where you have to sit it out.
  • Sounds the like the extra players are just Tails.  Like you say it's better to have it than not, but I won't be trying it.
  • It’s not quite that bad. It’s just now and then. There’s some good bits like the piñata bits where you have to take out enemies against the clock where you coordinate a bit. You do this side, I’ll do those guys etc.
  • 50. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U - Cemu Emulator)
    Calling time on this one. I was trying to 100% it but the last two levels need a ton of practice and I'd rather just get on to something else now. So all stars, stamps and flags collected apart from those two. It's a [10]. There's no doubt about it. Quite where it sits in the pantheon of mario greats I can't tell you. It's top 4 for my money, knocking 3D Land down to 5, but I'd need a replay of the galaxies to decide if it tops them. And nothings ever knocking SMW off it's perch. 

Anyway, it's incredibly good. It's so good that it's even improved my opinion of Odyssey. My main problem with that one was it was so loose and baggy, so much cruft and faffing around. But now I've realised my main problem was that I wanted it to be this game. The expanded 3D Land ultra-tight level format. But having made that game and perfected it here, I can now understand why Nintendo then went down the more experimental, prog rock route of Odyssey. 

The whole thing is supremely well-balanced. If you're 100%ing it, even the earlier levels can be tricky to find and get the items. All their ideas are explored and turned over and messed around with but never to the point of boredom. The cat is great, the cherries are genius. I loved all the Mario 2 callbacks. It's really the one part of the franchise that they haven't nostalgia-scraped the life out of so it's more than welcome here. It's got a proper Mario 3 / SMW style map. It's an everything game. A nostalgia-filled update that feels fresh despite completely familiar gameplay that you can slip straight into like a comfy chair. 
    Some games are good and you make time to play them, some you've got to force yourself to get through. Very occasionally a game comes along that picks you up, takes you over and puts you down when it's finished. It's the best I've played out of the 50 from this year and I dunno how long I have to go back before I enjoyed one more. I haven't even got into the MP with my daughter who is going to lap this up. 
    The one quibble is that the bosses are appalling. This is sort of baked in to my expectations for Marios so it's not a problem. I don't know how many times 3D mario games have asked me to fight that spinny turtle guy who flings his arms around and goes round the screen like a tornado. It doesn't help that he shows up about ten times here. Even the ones that aren't him in these things are a bit like him. There's a couple of them that do some more interesting stuff but they're pretty woeful on the whole. But they're so easily dispatched that's it not an issue.
  • Outland is good. Not as punishing as stuff like Ikaruga obviously, I managed it easily enough.

Installing now.
  • 76. House of Golf - Switch

A quick one as I polished off the 135 hole campaign mode last night.  I do love a good golf game, unlike attempting to play the sport itself I tend to find videogame representations very relaxing.  This one keeps it simple, to the point where there's not even a snap to worry about when hitting the ball - direction of shot and power is all you need.  It's crazy golf (set inside a house) and it works, there's really not much else worth saying.  The ball rolls around as you'd expect it to thanks to physics, and presentation is cheap & cheerful without feeling like an ultra budget title.  With practice you'll learn how to sink your birdies and eagles, but too much practice probably snuffs out some of the enjoyment.  Did you the enjoy the OG Monkey Golf mini game while it lasted?  Did you play Fun! Fun! Minigolf and understand why they didn't bother to think of a better title?  Then I expect you'll have fun with this, especially considering it's only £8.  Up to five additional players can be added on the title screen, just press the plus button for pass-the-pad fun fun (ghost balls remain visible for each shot).  No frills galf with a no faff mp mode.  Just a short game, but its short game is strong.  [8]

• 36. Sparklite [6]
    7-10 Nov
    This started off very promising and it certainly looks and sounds the part. 16-bit visuals and sounds that reminded me of Secret of Mana as much as anything (although the music isn't that good). The combat and upgrading systems are also solid and there are some decent boss fights. But in the end it's all just a little bland. Exploring isn't that much fun when what you discover is rarely exciting. It works by procedurally shifting around the contents of the levels each time you return to the hub (although it's really not a Roguelike, as you're always progressing and keep stuff when you die), and in each area there's a new piece of equipment to find as well as other caves and grottoes with useful power ups. But once you've found the main stuff it gets repetitive traipsing around looking for minor treasures. It doesn't help that the level design never really requires you to use your Zelda-like inventory to solve puzzles either. Each item is really just a new kind of key to access more of the area. I still finished it and couldn't really dislike it, but it just didn't do enough.
  • Am currently trying EA's Origin Premium program on PC, just for the month.  It appears to be access to all of EA's PC games and costs AUD$20.  I mostly just wanted to play the new Star Wars, figured I'd only play it once, and this seemed like the most cost effective way to do it.

Also tried the new Need for Speed, but my laptop struggled with it even when I turned the graphics down to Atari.  It seemed like quite a fun open world Forza Horizon thing, with Fast & Furious 1 style, lavish illegal street races and unattainable sports cars driven by petrolheads with supermodel looks.  It is garish but I found it appealing and will probably try it on Xbox if it's cheap one day.  Anyway

43: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PC) 8/10

This is a pretty good mix of the modern Tomb Raiders and Souls games in the Star Wars universe.  It is a bit cliche, playing it safe and you can guess pretty much everything you'll be doing from the beginning. It is really nicely put together though (notwithstanding a few clipping bugs (also it stuttered a lot, though as with NFS that was probably more to do with my computer)) and the Jedi feels great to control.  

Combat is mostly fun.  Lightsaber fighter look and sound great, though I think fights start dragging towards the end.  You get too many goobers who no-sell lightsaber strikes and it seems a bit silly.  I like it better when you're just carving through everyone.  Storm Troopers are hilarious, when you fight them they give a running dynamic commentary on what you're doing.  IE if you're dodging they'll panic over how hard you are to hit, if you get hit they'll get cocky over how you're on the ropes, etc.  There was a cool bit where there was a sniper on a high ledge, and I double-jumped and wall-ran towards him, deflecting his blaster lasers and he just goes 'woah...' right before I stabbed him.  Boss fights are quite good too - I found them to be a good challenge generally that took a couple of goes to beat but didn't drag on or get too cheap.

Story is fine if a bit dull, the characters are mostly quite good though and carried my interest through the drawn out bits.  I really liked the main guy who is a reserved, earnest good bloke who just wants to do the right thing.  Nothing too revolutionary but I did like how he wasn't a wise cracking rogue.  No smartarse one liners when he's fighting a baddie or anything like that.

All I would change would be - when you get to the end of a level, it's Metroidvaniaish and you have to return to your ship.  You can't fast travel back and it's pretty tedious.  You do get chances to find hidden bits with your new skills on the way back but I'd like the fast travel option.  Especially with the hidden stuff not being very interesting (at least what I found).  Further the map is shocking, to the point I'd almost rather it not be there at all.  Would prefer combat to be more lethal at high levels, just a couple of lightsaber hits on non-bosses.  And obviously would like there to be no bugs.  But yeah, really good stuff and would love to see a sequel.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 77. Forza Horizon 4 - Xbox One

Drawing attention to the fine print in the OP regarding completion here as there doesn't seem to be a credit roll to add a full stop to the campaign (other than mopping up every single icon on the map and declaring yourself done, and no sir I am not doing that).  So yeah, after 11.5hrs on the tarmac, mud, snow, sand & gravel I consider myself a seasoned racer and we're parting ways.  I've completed something like 60 of 70 exhibition races come rain or shine, raced planes, trains, hovercraft & automobiles, filmed stunt set-pieces, acted as a taxi driver and racked up the air miles doing Big Jumps.  I've seen most of what the solo experience has to offer and I'm happy to leave it there as I've got a feeling more would be less for me.   

The good bits.  Firstly, the visuals are astonishing.  Every single time I booted the game up there was a moment where I caught myself gawping at the gorgeous car/scenery porn.  How the hell does it look this good?  Sloshing through puddles never got old, nor did fucking around with the view as I launched my motor of choice from the top of a hill.  Twinned with the correct tunes on Spotify it's pretty much impossible not to have a cracking time most of the time; the audiovisual wallop is too strong to resist.  The giant playing field is brilliant, but the sp mode is clearly just the icing/cherry on top of a cake designed to be gobbled up by as many players as possible.     

The bad bits.  I never quite clicked with the handling.  I rarely play real world racers (4hrs of Driveclub and 2hrs of FH3 is about it for me this gen, unless Trackmania Turbo counts), so the halfway house between sim and arcade was a wee bit off for my tastes.  I spent a lot of time slowly skidding into barriers as the car refused to turn.  Clearly this was me being a spanner-handed numpty bonce, but finding cars that suited my style of play tended to leave me pootling around in the solid & reliable types, rather than anything that earned its go-faster stripes.  Also, as alluded to earlier, the campaign mode is merely an undercard for the meat & potatoes of the online experience - which I choose not to experience.  The checkpoints thing also grated at times, but it's a small price to pay for the way it's all set out.  These aren't racetracks after all.  I also found it a bit dull making my way to the destination each time and would've preferred a more consistent fast travel option.  You do have to pay credits for the privilege, after all.

The good outweights the bad though, despite the relative length of the paragraphs above.  In a nutshell it's a glorious package that's not quite my sort of game, with a single player mode that eventually veers towards samey.  Despite valiant efforts to mix things up it's still mostly a checkpoint racer, and after a while that tends to become rote if you tackle it alone.  So a harsh [7] for the game as I played it, but I'd wager it's a straight [9] for anyone interested in online gaming.  I haven't played a 'realistic' racing game properly since Forza Motorsport 2, so it was clearly doing plenty of things right.  

giphy.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!