52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • I’m closing in on 52. Got probably an hour left of Katana Zero I need to squeeze in somewhere before midnight.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    I really wanna get to 52 but always end up with a few big time sinks and fall behind then totally give up in irritation!!!

You taking the honours on a 2020 thread??
  • 12. Spider-Man (PS4)

What a way to end the year, an incredible game. They got the traversal spot on, the combat is similar to Rocksteady’s Batman games and is decent, the story and characters are very well done, and the pacing of the main game/story and drip feed of side quests and things to do is also pretty spot on. The actual mini quests and collectathons are decent and never felt a chore, different enough and fun. And swinging around Manhattan is just such a pleasure.

No idea how long I spent on this. Maybe atriums the 30 hour mark and I got the platinum trophy. Was such great fun. This was 2018?! Not quite good enough to knock off God of War from GotY 2018, but close enough.

[9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 86. The Red Strings Club - Switch

Hmm.  How to review this one when I'm more than a bit smashed?  It'd be tough without spoilers at the best of times.  Here goes: Very weird sci fi point 'n click choose your own adventure hybrid type with no fail state and what appears to be a very flexible plot when it comes to the impact of player choices.  It starts with one of the characters plunging from a skyscraper
    Spoiler:
    I've never played anything like it.  The narrative is very impressive, as is the dialogue and characterisation.  It's definitely a mature experience, and not in the 'MA16 they say fuck and have chainsaws' kind of way; I was genuinely impressed with it on numerous occasions.  The problem solving is neatly done and the mystic bartending inetrrogation aspect is successfully WTF and well executed.  That's about it from me, as I've had to look at my fingers very carefully while typing.  I'm becoming a Devolver completist (nope not playing the plague spreading strategy game though) and this is yet another string to their bow.  I really enjoyed it, and I think some of the science fiction fans on here should give it a proper look as the interactive story is unusually well executed for a videogame.  [8]

3376cad9e502be9c853cb27be4b1ed79.gif
  • 12 games

Around 350-360 hours played. 

So average of an hour a day?! Doesn’t feel like it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    I really wanna get to 52 but always end up with a few big time sinks and fall behind then totally give up in irritation!!!

You taking the honours on a 2020 thread??

Upto you dude! I’ll happily do it again but if you fancy it it’s all yours!! Definitely want one as I love recording it and aiming high! You go for it if you like!
  • This belongs to you Vere.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This belongs to you Vere.

^

Was meant as a prompt not a request to steal :-P
  • Didn’t get round to completing Katana Zero so finished on 51. That breaks my own previous record by about 40 games probably. I’ve done 11 real games on modern hardware with the rest being state saves emulation jobs from the 80s and 90s. Really enjoyed doing all of that so same again for 2020.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    12 games Around 350-360 hours played.  So average of an hour a day?! Doesn’t feel like it.

86 games, roughly 460 hours for me.  Probably got 1/3 of that done on the Switch at work. 

Reckon I would've smashed the 100 mark if Red Dead 2 hadn't taken me a frankly ridiculous 60hrs to finish.
  • It’s probably way more for me if I count more of playing with the kids.
  • I’ve got no idea how much time I’ve put in. Most of the 16-bit ones take 60-90 mins. BotW was 75 hours. Mario Odyssey and vs Rabbids were 40-45 hours a piece. Modern indies are about 5-10 hours. So 250-300 hours for the year maybe.
  • I've probably done a lot more in terms of hours for my 41 total. Then again I had to play a few of the bigger ones almost like a day job to get them done before deadlines.

I have finished virtually everything I've started though. Never quite got through Daemon X Machina, gave up on Outer Wilds and there was no way I was forcing my way through Left Alive. Other than that been quite committed.
  • Ha, will get it done today guys!!! Just finished my early shift so will be starting the challenge again this evening!!!
  • Completes first game of 2020.
    Logs into forum.
    Checks calendar.
    Looks at watch.
  • I’ll do it! Only just back again from work!! I like doing it properly and it all looking nice!!
  • Will move over when the thread arrives, obvs.

1. Heave Ho - Switch

Madcap same room cooperative multiplayer game that exploits its core mechanic flawlessly.  Each player controls the arms and hands of a...face with arms and hands.  The analogue stick stretches/flails both arms around in any given direction, the left trigger clutches onto surfaces with the left hand, the right trigger grabs hold with the right.  From there it's all about manipulating the character by any means necessary to reach the goal.  If you're holding the correct button as your hand brushes a surface, it sticks regardless of momentum.  Swing, fling and climb your way to victory, either while assisting or hindering other players, shouting encouragement at each other and/or screaming at the ceiling in frustration.  Once one player reaches the goal they can call a balloon for the other players.  Take ten minutes to finish a stage and you'll be assisted in some way by additional poles.  

Because of the amount of consistent fun we all had with it each and every session every session, plus the fact that it retails for less than a tenner full price, I'm going all the way to [10] with this if played with three or more players.  Most definitely GotY 2019 for me.  I can't believe how good it is, and how good my 5yr old daughter is at it, was an absolute joy to play through with her and Mrs. Geeza even got involved here and there.  An absolute hoot, I don't think I've had this much fun with same room mp since Monkey Target (and I LOVE Nidhogg & Towerfall Ascension).

giphy.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wrong fucking thread man. Basics.
  • I wonder what monkey thought of Katana Zero.
  • Time for muzzy to give Vere the old heave ho?
  • The year’s first MMG has been reviewed. And it might be a [10]!
  • The bottom line is it's an enjoyable [7] solo, but a straight [10] as intended with multiple players.  'Revolutionary' for top marks can go in the bin, that's never been how I roll. 

So it joins Shovel Knight, Thumper, Fez, Hollow Knight, Hotline Miami, Super Meat Boy, Super Mario 3D World and Trials Evolution as the 10s of the decade.  What a time to be alive.

Edit: No wait, sneaks an [8] for solo play.  The tricky levels are excellent.
  • More placeholder goings on.  Only joking with the hurrying up btw Vere, just in case it's misconstrued as actual moaning.  A definite MMG coming up:

2. Crazy Zen Minigolf - Switch

60% off if you pre-ordered should've been enough to set alarm bells ringing, but I'm powerless to resist handheld golf.  Turns out it's truly and astonishingly abysmal.  Surfaces that don't seem to make any sense, random physics, nonsensical hazards, a terrible camera system and holes so badly designed (presumably as a concession to the randomness off the controls) that one of them is a PAR 14.  They added a limited amount of aftertouch to the ball, and a jump button, which is just enough to double its score. [2]  

Oh well, at least House of Golf was good.     

• Poor showing this year, films overtook games. I started off with the best of intentions but life shaped films to be the easier to consume. I'll go again but I expect a similar if maybe slightly improved hit rate. 
    Webbins wrote:
    1. Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) 6th January 2019 – 6th January 2019
    2. The Gardens Between 7th January 2019 – 9th January 2019
    3. >observer_ 27th January 2019 – 2nd February 2019
    4. Thomas Was Alone 9th March 2019 – 11th March 2019
    5. Strange Brigade 17th December 2018 – 9th April 2019
    6. The Walking Dead 28th May 2019 – 31st May 2019
    7. The Walking Dead: Season Two 31st May 2019 – 8th June 2019
    8. Tacoma 8th June 2019 – 9th June 2019
    9. Resident Evil Revelations 22nd June 2019 – 24th June 2019
    10. ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug X 20th July 2019 – 20th July 2019
    11. Resident Evil 4 29th July 2019 – 14th August 2019
    12. Gears of War 4 18th August 2019 – 8th September 2019
    13. Old Man's Journey 22nd September 2019 – 22nd September 2019
    14. World War Z 12th October 2019 – 20th October 2019
    15. Afterparty 29th October 2019 – 9th November 2019
    16. Blair Witch 26th October 2019 – 17th November 2019
    17. Resident Evil 29th December 2015 – 24th November 2019
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Fuck me the last (or 2nd to last, not sure) level of Ape Out is a pain in the arse. I’ve come within sight of the gate twice but got shot at the last. Probably had twenty odd attempts. Not happy with this game one bit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If there's no 2020 post but the time I finish my first game of the year - which may even be this evening - then be warned I might go rogue and user vere.  I don't want to, but justice waits for no man.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Or woman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!