The No Subject Thread
  • Customer service is like a first date.
    Smile, act natural, be interested and be yourself.

Forcing employees to run through a script with faux passion is not that.
    Let the staff be themselves and they will in turn be happier naturally, this will pass on to the customer. Give the staff enough respect to freely converse with the customer, also pay them more and do away with the "spastic idea" department to fund it.
  • I'm not trying to get into an argument about the script. Of course it seems false - it is. It's new, it's unnatural and it doesn't feel right.

Give it a few months/years and it'll be second nature. The expectation will be to offer your name and everything will work swimmingly.
  • Customer service is like a first date. Smile, act natural, be interested and be yourself.

Then why is Britain so bad at it?
  • Ach, they're fine. In places.
  • Honestly I'm not sure how far peppiness need creep into definitions of competence for that still to be the appropriate adjective.
  • google wrote:

First, I'm not argueing, just discussing, sorry if my tone came across like that.

As I said before, the british are more synical than other parts of the world and tend to see through it more as customers which means staff get a harder time over it, which means the care less etc etc.

We are actually very good at customer service done right, look at John Lewis or Harrods.

Other countries percievably are better in lower paid areas because the staff are more heavily reliant on tips due to lower minimum wages (relatively obviously).
  • Brooks wrote:
    Honestly I'm not sure how far peppiness need creep into definitions of competence for that still to be the appropriate adjective.

Agreed.

Peppiness can often be a cause for concern - especially amongst chubby 20 something barista's.

But at the same time, if an entire nation is unable to understand the difference between good and bad service - how do you make a clear definition of expectations?
  • google wrote:
    First, I'm not argueing, just discussing, sorry if my tone came across like that. As I said before, the british are more synical than other parts of the world and tend to see through it more as customers which means staff get a harder time over it, which means the care less etc etc. We are actually very good at customer service done right, look at John Lewis or Harrods. Other countries percievably are better in lower paid areas because the staff are more heavily reliant on tips due to lower minimum wages (relatively obviously).

Dont know if you know this, but I'm also British (just to clear it up in case you werent aware).

Harrods and John Lewis are different to the standard cafe though, right? You're in Harrods and there's an expectation that you're spending money. The same with John Lewis - it's a middling dept. store where you're probably spending some money.

So why can this not be transferred to small transactions - whether it's a 40p newspaper purchase or a $5 coffee purchase?
  • Oh fuck off Google.
  • That's how I'd run Starbucks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is barista the technical name for someone who puts a paper cup under a tap and presses a button?
  • I take perverse pleasure in rude and surly shop staff. I quite like it personally, as others have said stacking shelves or serving coffee isn't exactly a true calling for most people.

I'd be more likely to question the mindset of someone who's ridiculously over-enthusiastic just to receive my crappy coffee order.

I'm not advocating people calling me a cunt and chasing me out of their shops as soon as I walk in (although I'd appreciate their sense of humour for taking one look at prospective customers and just going "nah"), but I've worked in shops and it's quite often mind-numbingly tedious and boring work so I tend to sympathise when they're not jumping for joy just to see me shopping there.
  • LOL, i almost spat out my hot chocolate.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah I did think you were British. I was talking kind of as a 3rd party rather than us and you, kind of hard to portray in text.
    So why can this not be transferred to small transactions - whether it's a 40p newspaper purchase or a $5 coffee purchase?
    In a way this is kind of my point.

John Lewis and Harrods may be premium stores but the training received doesn't cost any more (in fact most of my training at John Lewis was from being buddyed up with someone, so kind of free) and you better believe they don't pay much more than minimum wage there.

So I think we may have found a common ground here.
    Why can't this be transferred to smaller transactions?
  • Kow wrote:
    Is barista the technical name for someone who puts a paper cup under a tap and presses a button?

Is that how you think they make your coffee?

It's not exactly a difficult process but it's certainly one that takes some time to perfect.
  • Sympathy with retail grunts is probably the best thing to manage, yarp.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The ones I've seen in the local Starbucks seem to do just that. For the normal slop in the big cups anyway. The people I know who've worked there didn't seem to think there was much more to it than that.
  • Most crucial way of expressing that sympathy is not to mumble. I'd resent being mumbled at by a punter.
  • I like seeing what the migrant labour flavour of the month is at coffeestops.

Personal favourite: Wirey mid-20s French/Slav girls with distinct forearm veins and teabag-eyes from their chores.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I take perverse pleasure in rude and surly shop staff. I quite like it personally, as others have said stacking shelves or serving coffee isn't exactly a true calling for most people. I'd be more likely to question the mindset of someone's who ridiculously over-enthusiastic just to receive my crappy coffee order. I'm not advocating people calling me a cunt and chasing me out of their shops as soon as I walk in (although I'd appreciate their sense of humour for taking one look at prospective customers and just going "nah"), but I've worked in shops and it's quite often mind-numbingly tedious and boring work so I tend to sympathise when they're not jumping for joy just to see me shopping there.

I get that. 

I worked in Tesco when I was 15 stacking the bread and cakes aisle on a Saturday. It bored me to tears having to get up at 6AM, traipse into Newbury for a 7AM start on my day off - but I did it and worked for 3.23 an hour.

I wasn't proud, nor was I particularly happy about it - but I did it.

At the same time, if I was 30 years old and I'd gotten to a point where the only job I could get was working in Tesco's stacking the bread and cakes for 3.23 an hour - I'd do my best to make the most of it. 

Wouldn't you?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Desperation flavour.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Most crucial way of expressing that sympathy is not to mumble. I'd resent being mumbled at by a punter.

Agreed.

Being a cunt to a guy serving your coffee is pretty high on my list of unnaceptable ways to behave in public.

Also. Colombian paedo roast, Brooks.
  • I worked in retail for five years and did some bar work too and never felt the need to ask for a customer's name unless I was taking an order which couldn't be fulfilled immediately.  Good customer service is really not difficult and doesn't require you to personally acquaint yourself with every customer you meet or stick to some impersonal, scripted 'have a nice day' bullshit either.  Simply be a nice person, converse with each customer in a respectful, honest and friendly manner and get the job done quickly and satisfactorily, exceeding expectations wherever possible.
  • +1 About not being a cunt.

Its not their fault they have to ask you dumb ass stuff at the end of the day, same goes for other retail/catering (like in blurum when we were talking about Game and there add ons).
  • Gosh.
    google wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Most crucial way of expressing that sympathy is not to mumble. I'd resent being mumbled at by a punter.
    Agreed. Being a cunt to a guy serving your coffee is pretty high on my list of unnaceptable ways to behave in public. Also. Colombian paedo roast, Brooks.

Gosh.
  • I worked in retail for five years and did some bar work too and never felt the need to ask for a customer's name unless I was taking an order which couldn't be fulfilled immediately.  Good customer service is really not difficult and doesn't require you to personally acquaint yourself with every customer you meet or stick to some impersonal, scripted 'have a nice day' bullshit either.  Simply be a nice person, converse with each customer in a respectful, honest and friendly manner and get the job done quickly and satisfactorily, exceeding expectations wherever possible.

Igor, I understand good customer service - you dont need to tell me the way to your consumer heart.

My point is that most of the population dont seem able or willing to engage in it on a day-to-day basis when compared to other parts of the world.
  • I tested this Starbucks thing you speak of. I used Ryu as my name. Unbridled hilarity.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Do they shout your name out?
    Would they really be able to question what you say your name is?
    Can I say my name KAPOWWWWW and they have to shout it?

I may have changed my whole view point.
  • The tellers in my bank started up with the faux chumminess a couple of year's back.
    On being asked, "so what are you going to do this afternoon?" I looked her in the eye and replied, "I'm going to withdraw all of the money from by bank accounts, take it home, spead it out neatly on the bed, take off all of my clothes, and roll around in it naked, shouting I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD! repeatedly."

she's never asked again

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ryu O' Hara.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!