The No Subject Thread
  • g.man wrote:
    The tellers in my bank started up with the faux chumminess a couple of year's back. On being asked, "so what are you going to do this afternoon?" I looked her in the eye and replied, "I'm going to withdraw all of the money from by bank accounts, take it home, spead it out neatly on the bed, take off all of my clothes, and roll around in it naked, shouting I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD! repeatedly." she's never asked again g.man

Did you really do that?

If so - why?
  • @ Larry. Ahahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I want pictures...
  • Why? Because I hate scripted faux chumminess.

regards

g.man
  • google wrote:
    I get that.  I worked in Tesco when I was 15 stacking the bread and cakes aisle on a Saturday. It bored me to tears having to get up at 6AM, traipse into Newbury for a 7AM start on my day off - but I did it and worked for 3.23 an hour. I wasn't proud, nor was I particularly happy about it - but I did it. At the same time, if I was 30 years old and I'd gotten to a point where the only job I could get was working in Tesco's stacking the bread and cakes for 3.23 an hour - I'd do my best to make the most of it.  Wouldn't you?

Yes, I suppose. But 'making the most of it' doesn't have to mean going overboard personally greeting every single shopper, just be polite and helpful and get on with it. Like I say, it doesn't bother me particularly if they are slightly stroppy with me as it's usually 0.01% of my day spent on that interaction.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    google wrote:
    I get that.  I worked in Tesco when I was 15 stacking the bread and cakes aisle on a Saturday. It bored me to tears having to get up at 6AM, traipse into Newbury for a 7AM start on my day off - but I did it and worked for 3.23 an hour. I wasn't proud, nor was I particularly happy about it - but I did it. At the same time, if I was 30 years old and I'd gotten to a point where the only job I could get was working in Tesco's stacking the bread and cakes for 3.23 an hour - I'd do my best to make the most of it.  Wouldn't you?
    Yes, I suppose. But 'making the most of it' doesn't have to mean going overboard personally greeting every single shopper, just be polite and helpful and get on with it. Like I say, it doesn't bother me particularly if they are slightly stroppy with me as it's usually 0.01% of my day spent on that interaction.

Agreed. 

However being met with a grumpy, stroppy cunt of a worker in the supermarket DOES make me change supermarkets. 

Service is more important to me than pricing when the difference is a few cents.
  • Good service should be invisible.

regards

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Good service should be invisible. regards g.man

As should children.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    google wrote:
    I worked in Tesco when I was 15 stacking the bread and cakes aisle on a Saturday. It bored me to tears having to get up at 6AM, traipse into Newbury for a 7AM start on my day off - but I did it and worked for 3.23 an hour.

Would asking for customers names before handing over a loaf made that experience more enjoyable? Made you take greater pride in your job?

Made the bread buying experience better for the customer?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    I worked in Tesco when I was 15 stacking the bread and cakes aisle on a Saturday. It bored me to tears having to get up at 6AM, traipse into Newbury for a 7AM start on my day off - but I did it and worked for 3.23 an hour.
    Would asking for customers names before handing over a loaf made that experience more enjoyable? Made you take greater pride in your job? Made the bread buying experience better for the customer?

You're as intelligent as you are handsome, mod.

To use your terrible analogy; if I was asked by everyone buying bread to slice their bread using a machine that took two minutes I would ask for their name in an effort to identify who's bread was who's. This would make my job easier, as I could just throw their name on the packaging while decreasing confusion as to who's white, medium loaf was who's.
  • Just throw the loaf at them and tell 'em to fuck off. The British way.
  • +1 Larry
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Just throw the loaf at them and tell 'em to fuck off. The British way.

Hahahahaha!

I'd love that.
  • As i said before just look at them, remember their face the give bread to hand shaped thing 3 foot below face. Its pretty easy this face remembering stuff, in fact most toddlers can do it.
  • As i said before just look at them, remember their face the give bread to hand shaped thing 3 foot below face. Its pretty easy this face remembering stuff, in fact most toddlers can do it.

I DONT WORK IN THE BREAD BUILDING FACTORY!!! I DONT NEED YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVICE!!!
  • I wasn't even kidding btw.
  • Then stop putting yourself into hypothetical fucking scenarios where you can ask everyones name then. Its like some perverse fantasy to you!
  • @unlikely If you tell me to fuck off once more I will categorically deny you all rights to any Starbucks franchise in the future.
  • Unlikely's Cafe - "where the customer is always wrong"
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Unlikely's Cafe - "where the customer is always wrong"

and Ham is the only thing on the menu.
  • Pretty sure those places exist in Spain.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Unlikely's Cafe - "where the customer is always mong"

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    google wrote:
    To use your terrible analogy;

Why is it a terrible analogy? It's serving something to someone.

Plenty of other industries manage to spend two minutes completing a transaction without asking for a name. The butcher counter for example. Or the deli. Or the pharmacist.

Let's face it, it's an American service model that no-one either side of the counter here wanted or asked for. I'd be quite insulted if the company I worked for didn't think I was capable of remembering who ordered what without scribbling their name on the cup.

Still, it's got people talking about Starbucks so Mission Accomplished I guess.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    To use your terrible analogy;
    Why is it a terrible analogy? It's serving something to someone. Plenty of other industries manage to spend two minutes completing a transaction without asking for a name. The butcher counter for example. Or the deli. Or the pharmacist. Let's face it, it's an American service model that no-one either side of the counter here wanted or asked for. I'd be quite insulted if the company I worked for didn't think I was capable of remembering who ordered what without scribbling their name on the cup. Still, it's got people talking about Starbucks so Mission Accomplished I guess.

You make a fair point.

It's a model built for people who cant do their job without very clear instruction/training.

Also, you're welcome, Starbucks.
  • So people who can't read numbers on tickets?
  • Or remember what drink they ordered.
  • Guys,

Here's a personal anecdote for you.

When I go to a coffee shop in the morning, usually, the line is out the door. There are often 20 people waiting for their coffee and sometimes it can be a little manic.

So, you get to the cashier, you tell them what you want and you wait by the desk for the lovely lady to make your drink.

At 8AM, with people rushing, shouting, pushing to get their coffee it can become a little hectic. I'm not surprised some process is being built to help regulate the morning rush.

Are none of you familiar with this routine? Do you all live in small market towns or something?
  • Nope, we live in the UK, people dont shout and push here they queue and wait in an orderly fashion.

• Nope, we live in the UK, people dont shout and push here they queue and wait in an orderly fashion.

Not been to London before?
  • I regularily go to london, its the same queue just squashed together.

The point really isnt that an organisational system isnt needed, its that there are less intrusive and easier systems than the name one.

Numbers on receipts being the main one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!