Hades
  • The can mix up the runs and flow of the levels as much as they want but when I'm getting very little joy out of the core combat loop and find the boons a bit dull then it isn't really going to gel. I can see how good it is but it doesn't have that one more go appeal of my preferred rogues.

Yeah it’s just one of those things I guess. I think it’s a total peach of a game but obviously others won’t. Same with people not gelling with Isaac or whatever. It has big one more go energy for me, cos I am obsessed with trying to get that sub 15 minute clear (which I reckon I could have had last night if I hadn’t fought the secret boss for a prophecy I wanted to clear!)

I think the mechanical care and consideration is very evident though, the design is absolutely meticulous and like I say that cyclical end game relationship of power and difficulty is the gold standard for this type of action roguelike. If you want to do scaling power, you need a pushback to make it interesting.
  • The game which I hit that celling hardest with was Dead Cells, loved it for a good 20 odd hours and then dropped it with no inclination to ever return.
    I played Hades to death on EA, kept getting to 3rd level boss and dieing then gave up.  Fast approaching that point on full / switch release.
    Never got there with Spelunky and can see me giving up on Hades again once Speklunky 2 drops this afternoon (on PC).
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yeah, Spelunky 2 is gonna be a wild ride for those who enjoy it, but I 100% know that I will not get on with it as I just never got on with the original. I fully understand why it gets the praise it does, it's an absolute masterpiece, but it's also just not for me at all.
  • I really enjoyed Spelunky, think I got to world 4 a few times, but never completed back in the day, I think it really scratches the itch for decent procedural platforming action really well, as well quick fire jump straight into the action gaming and I would definitely be on for Spelunko the Seconding, were the hooks not currently in with Hades, will deffo get it in a future sale though I reckon.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • One thing that hades does absolutely correctly is that it instantly makes your first weapon interesting. I’ve seen games where you start off really crap with your initial set up and it’s a real drag. (I don’t think passive buffs count - if hades only had the mirror stuff at the start and made you wait for a boon it’d be really shit)
  • Yeah I think giving the player a boon and it being a choice of three options, really helps runs to get going OR if you're looking to mess around with something, gives you some possible avenues you can pursue outside of "normal builds" like big dodge builds, or that thing that increases your damage based on how much gold you're holding. 

That feels a lot like the whale bonus from the start of Spire to me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • My biggest issue with the game is the repetition. At least in Dead Cells you can pick your path through the game and see some different biomes and pick up interesting weapons along the way.

Having to slog through those opening levels in Hades over and over has put me right off, especially when so many of the chambers are nothing more than trivial encounters. I can get through just spamming away with little thought most of the time. The bosses at the end just cement the problem. I've fought that Bone Hydra countless times now and I don't think I can be bothered ever again. The last ten or twenty times it's been an identical fight. It's a snorefest of a boss.

The lack of any new areas or anything in the way of exploration is a real disappointment.
  • I can understand why it's an issue for some but it doesn't bother me, cos it's part and parcel of roguelikes. I enjoy that the Bone Hydra's heads are always different, and the Extreme Measures variant is quite fun, but overall I knew what I was getting for ages ago cos it's not a chaotic emergent gameplay roguelike, it's a hone your reflexes and skill roguelike.
  • Hmm. I don't get the repetition fatigue in other roguelikes like I do in this game. It feels lacking in content to me, despite the myriad build options.
  • Can't say I feel it myself, but I do only play a handful of games these days so I have got quite used to rinsing stuff like Hades. Risk of Rain 2 is similar, very easy to feel like you've seen it all after a few hours but I've got something like 40 tucked into it already.
  • I didn’t even realise the heads were different. I just muller them fast.
  • They all have crests which denote what attack they do
  • I got to the second form of the main boss. That was rude. I hate second forms of bosses.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I best the second boys for the first time, and got to the third (but then fucked it).

Not managed to upgrade weapons yet but I guess that'll come somehow. Got some other stuff happening though, some keepsakes, finally got my starting health up, yaddah yaddah. Onwards onwards.
  • I didn’t realise there was a god mode option. Nice.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wrong thread
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right, got to the final boss (of initial complete anyway), and nearly had 'im, but fucked it.

Got some more interesting stuff to spend my darkness on (two sets not one), but still no weapon upgrades, and no quite sure how best to get more diamonds, or what to do with my ambrosia, but hoping it'll click into place.  Changing bosses is vaguely interesting, but I still haven't met everyone per the challenges and stuff.  And yes, plenty more upgrading to do of other sorts I'm sure even when I do "complete" it.

Still not quite sure what I think overall.  Maybe still too early to judge.  It's fun enough, but no zomg [10] for me by any means.  Yet, anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Except I'm just read the unspoilered spoiler above, so maybe there was more to go anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I should try some of the other weapons too. No sign of the gun, mind...
  • You need to buy weapons with keys and that should open the next weapons to unlock.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah makes sense
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah you get more tings if you use different tings

Got to the
    Spoiler:
    this time, still not made it out in 15 efforts but getting tantalisingly close and kinda getting there or there Annie's each go...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Might go back to the sword
  • there Annie’s ?!?
  • OMG THIS GUY DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT THE ANNIES
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    F. ANNIES
  • I finally beat it!

I had this ridiculous contraption where shooting a water shield caused lighting and lightning might have been doubled and added 100 bolt damage. Also the lightning might be doubled. Also I had fast charge god power and i had the god power which makes lightning where you stand (modif: bolt) while also having that power that makes a red spinning circle of when you dash.

I still needed that damned skeleton revive though.
  • Nicely, Crayon!

Dont worry about needing skelly, it's a really smart strat to equip it going into the last level, I do it all the time if I'm not using one of the damage or defense trinkets already.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!