Hades
  • My sleep had already been ruined by night shift a couple for nights prior. Was partly why I was up late anyway but then the game had me wanting to do more and more!

It's very good.
  • I think Hades could do with a daily challenge.
  • Well there goes most of my day. Almost made my first run with what seemed like some shit picks with the shield (don't do double Doom ya dummy) but got snipped with only a tiny bit of the final bosses health left.
  • No problem with double doom if you also pursue Ares for delayed onset + extra damage, and doom stacks 10 times.
  • Well there goes most of my day. Almost made my first run with what seemed like some shit picks with the shield (don't do double Doom ya dummy) but got snipped with only a tiny bit of the final bosses health left.

Is it a spoiler to say the final boss has two health bars?

Because it does. I always hate that shit. It’s awful awful design.
  • Nearly got my second win yesterday on heat one. Maybe a thumb nail width of health left.

I chose the expensive option and just avoid shops now.
  • the two easiest Pacts are the timer, and “one instance of damage is negated”. The shop one is pretty punishing.
  • I’m going on a trip where I just maximise boon number . If you pick up some of the house upgrades and mirror bonuses you can negate most of the benefits of shops imo. It’s also good for creating a discipline if you are good and want to buy the 1000 coin item in the final world (definitely feasible with the interest rate perk)

The rough one is not getting health before a boss but you can negate that with the “zero hit for the first five hits vs boss” item.
  • I’ve never bought the item at the end of the run cos you get them through pacts anyway, feels like a waste of money that could be spent making sure I get through the fights that guarantee blood and diamonds .Shops give you an extra chance at a boon the vast majority of the time, so I feel it’d figure into your strategy better than avoiding them. I generally prioritise gold over health because shops often = health, and so does the Thanatos fight, plus I have the upgrade that makes darkness pickups give you +5 health, which tends to help out a lot.

I guess the shop might be fine for the lowest heat, but I still the thing damage negation and timer are the two auto picks, followed by Middle Management and a few Extreme Measures ranks. Things might change now that I am in the double digits of heat for most weapons.
  • The thing I’ve found is that I quite like the double poms you get in the final shop or the extra juicy boons you get in the final shop.

I think having extra cash at the end gives you more flexibility to bump the things you use most.

The other thing I think it does is it means you have to fight a bit more on the seat of your pants. But of course I haven’t beaten the boss twice yet so I am likely chatting out my arse.
  • I think if you’re still fishing for upgrades come Styx you’re probably in a bad place with your build, is my experience really.

Park synergies work in fun ways that mean you’re often always looking for that one boon that slots in like the long tetris piece: getting rupture or jolted for so you can trigger privilege status is one, support fire and pressure points from Artemis are another, same with stacking doom.

It can be really nice to get some extra damage, but if you aren’t at least ticking the boxes that make you do big damage you’re probably gonna struggle in the big styx chambers, and then against the last boss. Poms are ok but they are diminishing returns all the time you use them, unless you have. Aphrodite’s empowered pom perk.
  • Ah I also avoid poms until the end. It’s not really fishing per se but just that you can get some good stacks finessed nicely.

Also I’m still at the stage where I’m trying to fill out the prophecies so there’s profit in boons till the end potentially.

99 percent of time the chambers in Styx are easy but the boss just does me in (usually because I don’t have the patience or the skill to avoid the grabby hands amongst all the other crap at the end)
  • I think I'm 60-80 hours in now and I'm still loving things that this game gives you. Still working through the story post credits, just managed to unlock a whole new type of item, just managed a couple of heat 5 runs and seen the REDACTED for the first time. I love how the game is still throwing new prophecies at me sometimes and I still have so many gifts to give out to each of the characters. Still not got the last version of the bow either!

Also, temps I just had a demeter fists run last night, 3 additional special hits when charged and got the demeter heroic boon for special attack so each hit was at over +200% damage by the end of the run. 

I've been digging Ares boons lately, had some fun with getting very silly blade discs doing all kinds of crazy crap.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I won’t avoid them, il just not prioritise them at the end or in shops.

Last boss takes some getting used to but the biggest thing to do is learn to dodge the big circular swing and prioritise taking out the green skulls or at the least moving away from them to make the shockwave easy. The individual enemies that are summoned are random but I find most builds have enough bounce/aoe to mean they just die during the cross fire. Hands are bad cos of the stun but since think i’ve had them maybe 3 times out of 40 or so!

Extreme Measures 4 spoilers but
    Spoiler:
  • My thesis on Poms:

I will often go for a pom over a boon if I'm early in a run and I have an epic or better boon on attack or special (whichever is better for the current weapon) as the jump in damage from level 1-4ish on those boons at that rarity can be quite significant.

By the end of the game, I usually only take a pom if there's no other reward on offer in a room, or if I have money left over in Styx as by the end of the game I'm usually trying to sniff out those duos or legendary boons from gods by removing their other choices from the boon pool already.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Tempy wrote:
    No problem with double doom if you also pursue Ares for delayed onset + extra damage, and doom stacks 10 times.

I've had that once but it didn't pop up in this run unfortunately!

Got my first clear though with the spear! Got fast jabs and it comboed very well with my Support Shot thingy that meant arrows were pinging around the place like mad. Still needed my full death defiance though! I thought I had it in the bag from how quick I cleared the Styx rooms but the big dawg did his damage on me!
    I think it's a sign of a good rogue-like when you genuinely mourn the loss of the build you had. That one was so fun.

I took a screenshot of the final screen but I multi-monned it so it's too annoying to post.

Looking forward to clearing it with the other weapons now
  • If you're screenshotting on PC, ALT+Print Screen focuses it to the current active window, top ip!

I think i'll edit the pauses out of my 14minute run and upload it like you asked, later today.
  • Cool thanks!

And yeah, I googled the screenshot thing straight after. Will do it for the next one.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I just paste into paint and crop when I screenshot

Also, why do I not have most of you buggers as friends on Steam?
  • I don't have this on Steam anyway!
  • I have it on epic and switch.
  • Still chipping away at this cos it's good comfort in between Spelunky runs.

Got my new PB now, gun go brrrr

EjvuOF5WkAA3UC6?format=png
  • I got to 3rd area yesterday, yaaaaay!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've got those fuckers in Elysium so close a couple of times, but realistically I'm not at the stage of beating them reliably yet.  Megara and the Bone Hydra are generally toast though.  

Worried about setting myself up wrong though; should I be focusing on certain things for the mirror, nectar, etc?
  • My mirror set up is as follows, and I think it's generally how most people who I chat to like ot have theirs set up too:

Shadow Presence
    Cthonic Vitality
    Death Defiance
    Greater Reflex
    Boiling Blood
    Infernal Soul
    Deep Pockets
    Thick Skin
    Privileged Status
    Dark Foresight
    Gods' Legacy
    Fated Persuasion

If you have all the Keepsakes, you don't really need to worry about Nectar. It takes one Nectar per character to get their keepsake. If you want to focus on anyone with Nectar after, it's Meg.
  • The trinket thingies you get, can’t remember their name!
  • Oh shit, I haven’t looked into them properly yet at all!
  • They’re good!
  • I only just learned you can form relationships with the other characters

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!