Le grand chien 3.0
  • "digi” wrote:
    The fact it played every ps2 game and upressed them should mean it beat the ps2 easily.

Somebody made a ridiculous ruling that backward compatibility couldn’t count.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Elite pad is amazing but the Bone is really really really fucking bad.

Mega Drive wins.

How is it really really really fucking bad?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I have been taking the piss, but I genuinely don't understand the love for the Bone pad. It's a shitter version of the 360 pad. I don't know how they managed to fuck that one up.
    Sounds like you’ve tried the first gen pad maybe? The design’s been refined over the years, the one that came with my X is clearly superior to the Bone pad.

Both my pads are from 2014, so possibly.

Should revisions on controllers count?
    Genuine question.

A lot of people's complaints about ps3 was the download and install wich was revised and works in background since years ago.
    Same with no rumble in controller at launch but was later revised.

The fact it played every ps2 game and upressed them should mean it beat the ps2 easily.

I don’t see how you can not count them if you bought a version of the console released after the revisions, you may have no reference for anything earlier.

Really, though, I think you should just count whatever is important to you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Elite pad is amazing but the Bone is really really really fucking bad.

Mega Drive wins.

Because PC Master Race, innit.
  • The PS2 backwards compatibility was removed from the PS3 during a later console revision iirc.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Elite pad is amazing but the Bone is really really really fucking bad. Mega Drive wins.

I massively dislike the UI, there's sod all on it I want to play that I can't play elsewhere and the performance of the base model was/is terrible.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    "digi” wrote:

Just as an aside, upressing doesn’t mean all that much to me.

The versions of Halo on the MCC are all technically better than the original releases, but I don’t have the dozens of hours of laughing my arse off while playing with you lot invested in those games like I did the original releases of 3/Reach/4. Similarly, there could well be 8K/120FPS releases of the Forza Horizon games on the next gen or the one after, they won’t be better than playing those games now with a full lobby as part of FNF.

There’s more to many games than how prettily they can be run.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Elite pad is amazing but the Bone is really really really fucking bad. Mega Drive wins.

I massively dislike the UI, there's sod all on it I want to play that I can't play elsewhere and the performance of the base model was/is terrible.

Not a fan of most current UI's given they have to manage so many features so singling out the Xbone seems ball skin thin, plus in time even a monkey such as you could grasp it.

Giving the customer a choice where to play is really such a fucking bad thing? Righto.

Performance was 'terrible' compared to which of it's peers?

Give your head a wobble lad.

• Yossarian wrote:
    "digi” wrote:

Just as an aside, upressing doesn’t mean all that much to me.

The versions of Halo on the MCC are all technically better than the original releases, but I don’t have the dozens of hours of laughing my arse off while playing with you lot invested in those games like I did the original releases of 3/Reach/4. Similarly, there could well be 8K/120FPS releases of the Forza Horizon games on the next gen or the one after, they won’t be better than playing those games now with a full lobby as part of FNF.

There’s more to many games than how prettily they can be run.

For me it’s more the fact that I can hook up the Wii or PS3 to a flat screen and it still looks awesome.

To do that with a GameCube or PS2 requires me to buy extra hardware to achieve similar results.

So I’m better off playing those older games on the newer hardware.

Also I’m an antisocial hermit with no friends, so social gaming isn’t really a plus point for me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not a fan of most current UI's, singling out the Xbone seems ball skin thin, plus in time even a monkey such as you could grasp it. Giving the customer a choice where to play is really such a fucking bad thing? Righto. Performance was 'terrible' compared to which of it's peers? Give your head a wobble lad.

Alright simmer down lad, I'm not a fan of it and find it to be fucking shit. Same way as I find a fair few aspects of the PS4, and PC fucking shit.

You love it, fair play. Its not an attack on your liking of it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For me it’s more the fact that I can hook up the Wii or PS3 to a flat screen and it still looks awesome.

To do that with a GameCube or PS2 requires me to buy extra hardware to achieve similar results.

So I’m better off playing those older games on the newer hardware.

Is that not just legal emulation and therefore never as good as the originals?
  • digi wrote:
    Should revisions on controllers count?
    Genuine question.

I’m trying to take a holistic view. To me, the experience of the console, and all that entails, is as much part of it as the games that were available.

So, as you rightly point out, the issues with PS3 patching (which I never experienced) was dealt with, and worked well for much of the console’s life. For me, it was a non-issue, and I won’t criticise it for that, but I can see why it would be for others. By the same token, my PS3 didn’t have PS2 backwards compatibility, so it didn’t form part of my praise for it.

While Microsoft can be criticised for their handling of the XB1 announcements and pre-launch hype failures, that shouldn’t necessarily impact anyone’s experience of owning the console.

So, yeah, controller revisions absolutely should count. The Sixaxis that came with the first hardware iteration of PS3 had no rumble. My personal issue with the XB1’s shoulder button placement persists, but others love it. <shrug>

I would like to hear more about the XB1 than just FNF, though. FNF was great on the 360, but was just a small part of ownership of that console.
  • Not sure why 'but you can play that game somewhere else' is a big deal.

I mean... so? It's available on my console. It being playable on different kit doesn't diminish from it in my eyes. If you have a gaming PC I can understand why a Bone wouldn't be a good investment for you, but that doesn't make it shit.

Yer all madfolk.

• The Bone’s only failures, for me, were dropping Kinect (if it ain’t part of the standard package, it ain’t supported) and the bungling of broadcast TV integration for us folks outside of America. I’d love to use the OneGuide for my normal telly watching, but the integration of Freeview over the air was shitty.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    DS, just us big dogs nipping balls mate <3
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Is that not just legal emulation and therefore never as good as the originals?

Not when it’s hardware based.

We are getting there with software emulation, but even the best at the moment still suffer from audio, speed, graphical and compatibility glitches that diminish the experience.

And although I don’t mind streaming, I like physical editions, digital copies just don’t give me the same buzz.
  • The UI for the bone is atrocious but still better than the PS4 one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, I’m with you.

Although, the Xbox One was originally designed to run as a virtual machine within PC hardware, that’s exactly what it does now. So, in effect, the original is legal emulation of itself. Or something.

Edit: Kara.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DS, just us big dogs nipping balls mate <3

<3
  • Not sure why 'but you can play that game somewhere else' is a big deal.

I pretty much agree, although my slant is more that I wouldn’t use the availability of multi-platform titles as a positive, and more that the lack of them is a potential negative.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Ah, I’m with you.

Although, the Xbox One was originally designed to run as a virtual machine within PC hardware, that’s exactly what it does now. So, in effect, the original is legal emulation of itself. Or something.

Isn’t that how Skynet started?
  • I was gonna hash it out but I can't be arsed, not gonna top Boozy.

I pick Xbox One.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Andy wrote:

I would like to hear more about the XB1 than just FNF, though. FNF was great on the 360, but was just a small part of ownership of that console.

A lot has been said in a previous round.

The Xbox One does seem more online player leaning (perhaps a carryover from the original Xbox /360 LIVE service game changer). FNF is currently the best example of that collective, but Sea of Thieves and other third party games have had badgers and their friends enjoying the ease of the party/app system too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plus, in the X and Elite, the best console hardware on the market for multi platform games by quite some margin, especially in regards to the Elite controller which blows every controller I’ve ever owned before so far out of the water that the lack of it on other consoles is a genuine negative as to wanting to ever own one.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not sure I would ever want to play a driving game without impulse triggers again tbh. They add SO much, personally.

• Yossarian wrote:
    Plus, in the X and Elite, the best console hardware on the market for multi platform games by quite some margin, especially in regards to the Elite controller which blows every controller I’ve ever owned before so far out of the water that the lack of it on other consoles is a genuine negative as to wanting to ever own one.

You know you can use that on PS4 right?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have heard about some thing involving extra hardware and a PS4 pad and USB cables and more faff than I can be arsed with. Is that what you mean?
  • Yossarian wrote:

But again 90% of the Xbox One is just a PC, as such everything is also available on the PC and is arguably better.

My laptop is portable in a way the XBox One isn’t, it also has greater functionality, a bigger library and can be hooked up to a 4K tv and used as a console with no effort.

So as hardware the Xbox One is a modern day equivalent of an FM Towns Marty, CDTV, CD32, C64GS, GX4000, Atari 5200, et al.

It’s just rebadging the hardware to run the same software as it’s more powerful sibling.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, I don’t have a PC.
  • Doesn’t stop the PC from existing though, I’ve never owned an Apple Pippin but I know they exist.

And that’s without the fact that the Xbox One and Xbox One X are essentially two different consoles, there is no way to upgrade a One to a One X, you have to buy a whole new system for an incremental upgrade.

I’d argue that the Xbox One X is a different system with comprehensive backward compatibility.

Fair enough it may be a spurious argument, but I’m going to run with it anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!