Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • I sort of wished they cared less about plot as well now.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    With you there Jaco. You enjoyed it. And I enjoyed TFA. I don’t really care about plot consistency and common sense when I’m enjoying the rollercoaster.

Exactly. If you examine the original trilogy, there's plenty that makes little to no sense, but who cares when it's so much fun? Also, pew pew pew spaceships pew pew pew.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • The tricky thing though is on the outside they lean into the mystery of it a fair bit (JJ abrams, the ideas of heritage etc etc, calling it rise of Skywalker when the only Skywalker we know in theory is a a bad egg)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t sweat it Crayon. It’s just a film.
  • the only Skywalker we know in theory is a a bad egg

Luke? Leia? Bad eggs?

Also, Anakin was redeemed. Also also, see Boris' post
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Why wasn't this film called The Rise of Palpatine?
    They told us he was coming back. It was no secret, and it would have tied into Rey taking ownership of the Palpatine name in the final scene of the movie, rather than that I'm Rey Skywalker nonsense.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Jaco wrote:
    the only Skywalker we know in theory is a a bad egg

Luke? Leia? Bad eggs?

Also, Anakin was redeemed. Also also, see Boris' post

Luke, Leia and Anakin are the past though and already “up”. I imagine “the rise” implies a person not “up”. Thus the only person who might be a Skywalker (ignoring actual surnames) is Ren.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I think the biggest rise here was taken out of the audience.
    Badam-tish.

Ahoy there Jim.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Not that I saw.

Best watch it for a third time then I suppose.

I appreciate the "it's a rollercoaster!" shouts, but there are a few wonky rails which mean the ride is anything but smooth. Can't understand how this kind of nonsense doesn't matter to people. I came out of it having mostly enjoyed the ride but with a few bits sticking out as a bit shoddy. After seeing the feedback in here and a few videos it turns out I'd missed even more crap that makes it much worse. Palps raising an entire fleet of Death Star class Star Destroyers out of nothing but raw will power? Get to fuck man. I'm pleased that sort of crap passed me by on my first viewing.
  • Andy wrote:
    Not that I saw.

Palps raising an entire fleet of Death Star class Star Destroyers out of nothing but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuultimaaaaate power? Get to fuck man. I'm pleased that sort of crap passed me by on my first viewing.

• ...and here's one I made earlier.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There were lots of clouds. The ultimate power indeed.
  • The internet tells me that the size of the crew of an Imperial Star Destroyer is in the region of 37,000 people.
    Now I don't know for sure, but I've heard in Ep.9 that the size of his fleet is anything from 1000 to 10000 ships.
    Being conservative then and saying he had a thousand ships, that still amounts to a crew of 37 MILLION.
    Where did all those people come from, and how did they get to the Sith planet without having the magic Sith-Nav Mcguffin in their possession?
    Come to think of it. How did Palpatine get to the Sith planet? There were only two of those devices. One in Vader's possession which ended up in Kylo Ren's hands, and the other, Palpatine's personal Sith-Nav which he left behind on the Death Star, and which ended up in Rey's hands.
  • The RLM guy thought that Palps was always on that planet. That the emperor from the first 6 films was a clone of that guy, an evil baddy called Palpatine that had been kept alive for centuries. Is this right?
  • Who knows?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sith TomToms. Man alive.

Again, I'm glad I was pissed as the full ridiculous nature of that shit was lost on me.
  • Hmm. The ending of rise of Skywalker goes ridiculously close to revenge of the Sith To the point where obi magregor is riding the same camel as the old woman and the uncle and aunt are looking at the twin suns.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Crew complement of Death Star (1,200,000) divided by crew complement of Sith fleet Star Destroyer (29,585) = 41.

And there were at least hundreds. So yeah, that's a bit nuts and out of proportion with previous movies. Kinda weird to think the final battle is a human slaughter on a scale that dwarfs the Holocaust.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How did all those people find their way to the secret Sith base without a TomTom?
  • To be honest, it was all such a rollercoaster I'm not sure how anyone got there at the end.
    Kylo Ren destroys the Sith-Nav that Rey has just found on the death star.
    Rey steals Kylo Ren's Tie Fighter, which has the other Sith-Nav fitted to it.
    She travels to that watery dump where Luke lived in Ep.8 and burns Kylo Ren's ship.
    She then uses Luke's X-Wing (which has been underwater rusting for more than 30 years) and flies that to the Sith Planet.
    I'm really not sure how the 37 million bad guys and the Rebel Fleet that Lando turns up with got there.
  • g.man wrote:
    The internet tells me that the size of the crew of an Imperial Star Destroyer is in the region of 37,000 people.
    Now I don't know for sure, but I've heard in Ep.9 that the size of his fleet is anything from 1000 to 10000 ships.
    Being conservative then and saying he had a thousand ships, that still amounts to a crew of 37 MILLION.
    Where did all those people come from, and how did they get to the Sith planet without having the magic Sith-Nav Mcguffin in their possession?
    Come to think of it. How did Palpatine get to the Sith planet? There were only two of those devices. One in Vader's possession which ended up in Kylo Ren's hands, and the other, Palpatine's personal Sith-Nav which he left behind on the Death Star, and which ended up in Rey's hands.

It's all the dead stormtroopers ever, they were never really gone
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Ahahahaha
  • How did The First Order and The Nights of Ren get to the Sith planet?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Jim!

I fucking hate all these Star Wars threads.

But..... JIM!

Good to see you bud. Merry Christmas mate.
  • Apparently they were told to go there by the emperor back before the RoTJ,it was set up as he was sensing a new threat (possibly smoke / the powers behind him) I guess it will now be retconned as his plan B all along
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's actually more than the clone army from the prequels and all the stormtroopers ever combined.
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I actually enjoyed Rise of Skywalker but now these problematic numbers have RUINED it for me. On CHRISTMAS DAY!!!
  • Lando and the other rebels got there because Rey transmitted her coordinates to them as she made her way there.

A crew of 37 million? Yeah, who knows where they found that many people. There’s no way you’d find that many people in even one small country on one planet in one star system of an entire galaxy where you’ve been routinely snapping up populations to staff your armed forces for generations. It’s a total mystery.

I mean, how very dare these storytellers up the stakes as the story progresses, having the heroes face bigger threats than previously.

Why not call it Rise of the Palpatine? Inoperable that’s not a serious question.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Star Wars Christmas ruined!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!