Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    No, Paul, the line was a clear indication that she knew what she was doing before she tried it. Give it up.
    To you maybe. I disagree. Try not to let that get to you though. We're only discussing Star Wars.

This is why I said I could see this going the same way as the last thread; people not paying attention while watching, and then laying the blame on the film. It is indeed only Star Wars, it shouldn’t be difficult.
    Oh here we go, I shoulda waited till I got to this post.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Adam can't let stuff like this go, c'mon.
    Yes, because I’m the one who wouldn’t accept that I’d missed something that everyone else understood.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd definitely accept that I'd misunderstood or just flat out missed something as I was half cut and nodding off at various points during the final third.

But the explanation after the cave snake healing bit was only about what she just did and why she's now got a sore hand, setting up the use and cost later in the film. You've jumped to a conclusion that she's talking about her training, I think she's only explaining the mechanics of force healing to her chums straight after the event.

Even if we go with your assumption, it's still a crap bit of film making isn't it? Character does thing completely out of the blue, no prior set up to prepare the viewer for her very unusual actions, then has to explain to the viewer how she learned it from training. Why not have her use it on a smaller scale, with no risk to herself, while we're watching her training earlier in the film? Or are you a big fan of the tell, don't show school of film making?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just remembered the five seconds of evil Rey which I think was meant to be a nod to the Yoda cave but came across rushed as hell and therefore just a moment for the trailer or, hey that Darth maul was cool.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also: was anakin not also Palpatine’s son? I asked someone about the irritation about reys lack of heritage last time around because obv anakin comes from nowhere too but they suggested palpatine was involved in that. Which would mean that Ben and Rey are cousins?

I thought Anakin was immaculate conception and a Jesus-a-like???

There’s some bollocks about Palpatine manipulating the midi chlorians bullshit to make her pregnant but that hardly makes him the father anyway, more a genetic scientist type meddler type bloke.

If that is true then why does he need his actual bloodline via Rey to do the same plan he was originally going to do with anakin (and later luke? - ie need to re-energise into my own bloodline)

Last i read it was Darth Plagueis ( palpatine's master, before palpatine killed him) who created anakin. So they have changed it again have they? Palpatine has gone from being a hidden sith who is a master manipulator in the political realm to Star Wars ultimate villian who is responsible for everything. He probably created the ewoks, jabba the hut is probably his estranged son and he shits lightsaber crystals while having a poo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a bit of a mess like.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    When's the next one?
  • No. Someone tried to tell me one but it sounded like bobbins and i was distracted by a giant bubble blowing show. Did he fall down a well?

@reg obvs
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • When's the next one?

Next trilogy is due for 2022, 2024, 2026. No details about it. But probably have another death star, palpatine back from the dead again and rey having more random force powers added to her armoury just to help the shit script wirters get out of corners.

• I really liked the idea of REN being the big boss of this one that seemed to be the hint of LJ. I know snoke was done in in the last Jedi quite trivially but that is what happens with Sith -in opportune moments the apprentice does the master in.

A battle where the lead force users are both only 90 down one side -no KOTOR bonus for either!- seemed interesting to me.
  • No. Someone tried to tell me one but it sounded like bobbins and i was distracted by a giant bubble blowing show. Did he fall down a well? @reg obvs

Reg was just probably quoting from the prequel trilogy.

Probably Palpatine killed Plagueis a long time before the prequels and so Plagueis would not have been around to impregnate Anakin’s mother. So if anyone, it was Palpatine. 

So if you count Palpatine as Anakin’s father, Rey and Ben are first cousins once removed. But who cares.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was memeing if you don't mind, sir.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to watch The Beginning this afternoon for a real fuck it all look.
  • Even if we go with your assumption, it's still a crap bit of film making isn't it? Character does thing completely out of the blue, no prior set up to prepare the viewer for her very unusual actions, then has to explain to the viewer how she learned it from training. Why not have her use it on a smaller scale, with no risk to herself, while we're watching her training earlier in the film? Or are you a big fan of the tell, don't show school of film making?

Economy of storytelling. There isn’t time to build up to it. It’s for the same reason that the first time we see her she’s hovering while looping rings of stone around her; there isn’t time to incrementally show her learning all of that, but in one image we get the idea that she’s come on leaps and bounds.

While I’d argue that it’s ludicrous to suggest that the audience must be fully prepped for every incident in a film (we’d be here forever) I’m trying to remember if we saw a smaller instance earlier, when she ran the training course. That said, I don’t think it’s necessary to prepare anyone for a fairly standard trope.

In any event, given the approach you and others take to criticising these films, if Rey hadn’t explained to those with her how she did the thing they’ve never seen before, I’m pretty confident you’d be complaining about that.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I was memeing if you don't mind, sir.
    Ya, I was just playing in response. I thought the bobbins, bubbles and well-falling made that clear.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did I ever regale you with the take of Darth Milkman the Promiscuous?
  • Something something Leia floating in space.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Without delving into the other discussion, there's no mention of it in the Jedi course. I liked that bit tho.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    No. Someone tried to tell me one but it sounded like bobbins and i was distracted by a giant bubble blowing show. Did he fall down a well? @reg obvs

Reg was just probably quoting from the prequel trilogy.

Probably Palpatine killed Plagueis a long time before the prequels and so Plagueis would not have been around to impregnate Anakin’s mother. So if anyone, it was Palpatine. 

So if you count Palpatine as Anakin’s father, Rey and Ben are first cousins once removed. But who cares.

I know its no longer canon, but i have the darth plagueis novel. In that his power to modify the midichlorins led to anakin gettig his stupendious force powers and his immaculate conception.

In the novel it states that palpatine didnt have this power and unlike the recent movie force powers couldnt be copied. But can now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yo I have that novel too
  • Did I ever regale you with the take of Darth Milkman the Promiscuous?
    Hey, watch your mouth. That's my Dad you're talking about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Even if we go with your assumption, it's still a crap bit of film making isn't it? Character does thing completely out of the blue, no prior set up to prepare the viewer for her very unusual actions, then has to explain to the viewer how she learned it from training. Why not have her use it on a smaller scale, with no risk to herself, while we're watching her training earlier in the film? Or are you a big fan of the tell, don't show school of film making?

Economy of storytelling. There isn’t time to build up to it. It’s for the same reason that the first time we see her she’s hovering while looping rings of stone around her; there isn’t time to incrementally show her learning all of that, but in one image we get the idea that she’s come on leaps and bounds. Pure nonsense. The film had a long enough run time to properly bed in a key plot point. She was seen levitating small stones while meditating in TLJ, and while rescuing the gang from the back of the cave. Luke also balanced some shit while training with Yoda. It's firmly bedded in, force first aid is not.

While I’d argue that it’s ludicrous to suggest that the audience must be fully prepped for every incident in a film (we’d be here forever) I’m trying to remember if we saw a smaller instance earlier, when she ran the training course. That said, I don’t think it’s necessary to prepare anyone for a fairly standard trope.

It's a good job absolutely no one is demanding that every incident requires such bedding in then, isn't it? Just the ones surrounding key plot points will do. You don't think it's necessary, fair enough. I do, because the cave snake scene is a bit of a "WTF is she doing?!" otherwise, even though it's a trope, we saw it in the Mandalorian etc. it still needs to make sense within the film you're watching.

In any event, given the approach you and others take to criticising these films, if Rey hadn’t explained to those with her how she did the thing they’ve never seen before, I’m pretty confident you’d be complaining about that.

100% correct, because it's shite story telling either way innit? Like I said, you could have shown this within a 30 second scene during training. Brought a butterfly or flower back to life or something. Small scale, simple, but it adequately prepares the audience for the snake scene, because otherwise all people have to fall back on it a shot of some books, which can be used to explain away any old bullshit. Daft thing happen? It's in the books. Not very satisfying to me.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Something something Leia floating in space.

It's in the books.

Fucking easy this writing lark, innit?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yo I have that novel too

Have you got the Revan novel? IGN did a poll of most popular jedi and sith and Revan came in 2nd behind obi-wan. That was a suprise for a character who has only featured in KOTOR and a few novels/comics.

Honestly think a trilogy based on Malek/Revan and the crazy sith emperor would make a good triology on the big screen. Plus it would be a blank canvas for Disney as it takes place 10,000 years before skywalker/palpatine storyline.
  • How on earth would you have been prepared to see a butterfly brought back, Paul? (Although, I have a niggling thought in my head that we did see a less daring example.)

No, it’s not shit story-telling to not hold your audiences’ hand through every minor detail. They can’t predict which perfectly understandable plot point somebody in the audience is going to spit the dummy over and mollycoddle them through it.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yo I have that novel too

Have you got the Revan novel? IGN did a poll of most popular jedi and sith and Revan came in 2nd behind obi-wan. That was a suprise for a character who has only featured in KOTOR and a few novels/comics.

Honestly think a trilogy based on Malek/Revan and the crazy sith emperor would make a good triology on the big screen. Plus it would be a blank canvas for Disney as it takes place 10,000 years before skywalker/palpatine storyline.

Blank canvas, eh.

Oh dino. Dino, dino, dino dino.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yo I have that novel too

Not got revan one. Name?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is it the old Republic - revan?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    How on earth would you have been prepared to see a butterfly brought back, Paul? (Although, I have a niggling thought in my head that we did see a less daring example.)

No, it’s not shit story-telling to not hold your audiences’ hand through every minor detail. They can’t predict which perfectly understandable plot point somebody in the audience is going to spit the dummy over and mollycoddle them through it.

Because it's how you go about learning things, start small and get bigger? She's just practicing techniques learned from the books/her master, we witness it, and it helps the snake scene out. Like I say, I'd sooner swallow a smaller scale introduction to the new power instead of the high risk, life or death one we got. Not much to ask for, and indeed it's a recognised and preferred story telling tool. Show don't tell.

But hey, I appreciate your condescending tone and strawmanning, great stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!