• That's because you're sexist. ;-)
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    They must have written the romance scenes with specific genders in mind.
  • Not really. They wrote the guy you see on the box. Hence stuff like 'Shepard is heterosexual by design' which forgot about female Shepards being able to bang chicks, which isn't particuarly heterosexual.

Edit - this was at Mod.

Franklin, the romance scenes were indeed written with specific genders in mind. Specifically a male gender.
  • The thing about Mass Effect was that as well as choosing between male and female, you chose between playing it more caring or more aggressive. In other words you could to a certain extent be more 'feminine' or 'masculine' (according to the traits we typically associate with those terms) with either gender. Of course, you were still a trained killer either way, but why not?

As I said on page 1, it was a good thing and we need more of the same.
  • JonB wrote:
    The thing about Mass Effect was that as well as choosing between male and female, you chose between playing it more caring or more aggressive. In other words you could to a certain extent be more 'feminine' or 'masculine' (according to the traits we typically associate with those terms) with either gender. Of course, you were still a trained killer either way, but why not? As I said on page 1, it was a good thing and we need more of the same.
    Yes.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Franklin, the romance scenes were indeed written with specific genders in mind. Specifically a male gender.
    Eh?
  • It means that they were written for a straight man, and because Bioware didn't put much effort in, you could play them as a woman too.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Hasn't woman Shepard had exclusive romance options since the first Mass Effect game?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yup but there are more females to romance and male Shepherd can't romance a man until 3.
  • Did it take him that long to realise what happened at uni really did feel good afterall?
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Probably waiting for the right man, and who would turn down Freddie Prinze Jr? Rarr.

Also, I'm not sure we've identified any examples of Misogyny in here yet.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Misogyny means hatred of women. Don't think any games could be said to be hateful, just ignorant or indifferent.
  • It also encompasses sexual objectification in feminist theory. Which you'd assume would be the definition feminists use and the one I'd assumed we were discussing here since the original article was about a documentary to cover the latter, which conveniently drew the de facto response of hatred.
  • Outright, aggressive misogyny can be as slippery a thing to identify as outright, aggressive racism, but both sexism and racism are still structural forces that require addressing. Ignorance before conspiracy, always, but it seems daft to let ignorance off the hook for not being actually Evil.

Occurs to me that women re-appropriating sexually overt images of their own gender is a very loose equiv. of ethnic minorities taking ownership of racial slurs, and can probably be accommodated on that basis for the time being.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's just the first step. Next we'll be on leashes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Uncle Bob! What have they done to you?
  • Your uncle's Mexican?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes, he has a Mexican. See above picture.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's basically the chauffeur. His name is Pepe.
  • Man I really do like surf/seafoam green a whole lot.
  • It means that they were written for a straight man, and because Bioware didn't put much effort in, you could play them as a woman too.
    Still not sure what you mean. How were the romances betweena female shep and male crew members written for a straight man? Surely they weren't the same as the male shep ones because each individual one is different.
  • I'm only upset that female Muggins Shepherd wasn't able to bed Miranda.
  • JonB wrote:
    It means that they were written for a straight man, and because Bioware didn't put much effort in, you could play them as a woman too.
    Still not sure what you mean. How were the romances betweena female shep and male crew members written for a straight man? Surely they weren't the same as the male shep ones because each individual one is different.

He's wrong for those three relationships but the optional relationships are all women.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But all women are naturally born bisexuals anyway. Everybody knows that. So it's just a reflection of society. And therefore perfectly fine.
  • To those who haven't read it, the article in question is probably worth a browse. No one is saying that they were going out of their way to make her a poor female character, but they certainly were lazy with their approach to her, which inadvertently made her better.
  • I never got my lady shep to bed a woman anyway.

It's an interesting article, and it's certainly the case that the best aspects of being of lady shep come naturally rather than by design (although the voice track helps). In fact in ME3, when they were pushing towards a feminism theme with the Eve episode, it felt forced. Lady shep works simply because the dynamic changes in line with our ingrained prejudices. When Miranda and Jack are arguing it's a different thing for another woman to step in rather than for the man to come in and break up the 'cat fight'. When a physcially imposing character like James is getting too familiar and it's unwelcome having the female character that can confidentally tell him to back off is refreshing. Leading a team of women into battle as a woman feels different to a man picking a couple of women to accompany him. And so on.
  • It ends up being brilliant, but it is more by accident than design. Still, a formidable template for any dev to work on.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    So we can't even hold FemShep up as a good character as it wasn't deliberate.

clap....clap......clap
  • Am fast coming to the opinion that the best things in the medium generally haven't particularly deliberate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!