Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I think the problem with the portrayal of women in games is exactly that they reflect society, or rather a male dominated society, which is what many feminists would wish to change. Any desire to change stereotypical depictions of women, or indeed men, reflects a desire to make changes in society.

Exactly.

I know it's self perpetuating but it does smack a bit of cart before horse.
  • Kow wrote:
    I think the problem with the portrayal of women in games is exactly that they reflect society, or rather a male dominated society, which is what many feminists would wish to change. Any desire to change stereotypical depictions of women, or indeed men, reflects a desire to make changes in society.

This is the issue, and of course something that most men don't have an issue with because, well, why would they?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, I don't know, making changes in our cultural output, from films and music to games, art etc, is making a change to society.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    This is the issue, and of course something that most men don't have an issue with because, well, why would they?

Having spent some of the morning reading what Angela Merkel and Christine LaGarde think I'm not sure it that holds as much water as it did.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Christ, how long did it take to put those italics in on this tab.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Well, I don't know, making changes in our cultural output, from films and music to games, art etc, is making a change to society.

And there's the rub. The input to our cultural output is society.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Playing Prince of Persia at the moment. If I hadn't been reading this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed how Elika seems to be constantly fainting so the Prince can help her up. You could say this was because of the tiring magic she has to so, but I very much doubt she'd be doing it if she were a man.

In the case of Souls Calibur's Ivy, I don't think we should expect too much from fighting games. There's no real narrative, the only form of artistic expression is visual, and there are usually plenty of buff guys jumping around with their shirts off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Merkel is a conservative Christian democrat, not exactly a shining example of feminism, despite her success. Allowing women higher positions in male created and dominated systems would be rejected as progress by many feminists. Depends on the strand of feminism, mind you.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Playing Prince of Persia at the moment. If I hadn't been reading this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed how Elika seems to be constantly fainting so the Prince can help her up. You could say this was because of the tiring magic she has to so, but I very much doubt she'd be doing it if she were a man.

Isn't that the one when every time the Prince fails she has to save his ass?

The Prince is also written as a bit of a dufus with Elika being the strong sensible one.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Merkel is a conservative Christian democrat, not exactly a shining example of feminism, despite her success. Allowing women higher positions in male created and dominated systems would be rejected as progress by many feminists. Depends on the strand of feminism, mind you.

Ruh-roh.
  • In the case of Souls Calibur's Ivy, I don't think we should expect too much from fighting games. There's no real narrative, the only form of artistic expression is visual, and there are usually plenty of buff guys jumping around with their shirts off.

Nnnngh. Men with their top off vs. women with their bits out is not an analogue.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @mod Yeah, that's the point.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    @mod Yeah, that's the point.

How is she allowed to do the job?!

She was democratically elected. You make it sound like a room full of cigar chomping men patted her on the head and said "there you go love, you have a play for a bit".
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not quite what I meant by 'allowed'.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Nnnngh. Men with their top off vs. women with their bits out is not an analogue.
    What if their schlong was poking out the bottom of their trousers?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    [T]wo books about 'How to Survive the worst' where the Boys book was full of things like Earthquakes and Zombie Plagues, and the Girls book was full of things like 'chipped nails' and 'shopping at the weekend'. I know, it is innocent kids stuff, and it is designed to make money, but it all reinforces some pretty crass ideals.

There was a big internet hoo-ha about that and the publisher have dropped them now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah, via that Gender Diary thing. I was just citing it as an example.

Tempy wrote:
    What if their schlong was poking out the bottom of their trousers?

Ohoho.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    What would be analogous then?
    Mod74 wrote:
    Isn't that the one when every time the Prince fails she has to save his ass? The Prince is also written as a bit of a dufus with Elika being the strong sensible one.
    I'm not saying she's a bad character just that she wouldn't faint so much if it were a man. She does have all the fancy magic, kind of wonder why she needs the prince around at all. I guess because he happens to have a sword.
  • An analogue would be a male character designed by women to be attractive to women. That might end up being a topless man still, I don't know what women's tastes are.

My point makes sense, right?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm looking at my collection:

Alan Wake - male hero (not really stereotype) female that needs saving
    Bayonetta - female hero - female baddie - male that needs saving
    BioShock - Male hero - male baddie
    Bioshock 2 - male hero - female baddie(s)
    Bloodstone - male hero - female baddie
    Dead rising - male "hero" - male baddies
    Dead rising 2 - male hero - male baddies
    Deus Ex - male hero - male baddie
    GoW2/2 - male hero - female hero - female baddie
    GTAIV - male hero - male baddie
    Halos - male hero - female hero - mostly male baddies
    Kane and Lynch - male "heroes" - fuck knows
    LA Noire - male "hero" - male baddies - simpering females/victims
    Left 4 Deads - 3 male heroes - one female hero
    Mass Effects - either
    Mercenaries 2 - either hero - male baddie
    Metro 2033 - male "hero"
    Mirror's Edge - female hero - fuck knows
    The Saboteur - male hero - terrible females
    Splinter Cells - male hero
    Skyrim - either
    Tales of Vesperia - various
    Blue Dragon - various
    Borderlands - 3 male - 1 female
    Fables - either
    Prince of Persia - male hero - female hero companion
    Star Ocean - male hero
    Quantum of Solace - male hero - female companion - male baddie
    Prototype - male hero
    Crackdown 1 - male heroes
    Crackdown 2 - either
    Resident Evil 5 - male hero - female in co-op, male baddie
    Red Alert 3 - ahem
    Ninja Gaiden 2 - male hero
    The Orange Box - various
    Prey - male hero
    Perfect Dark - female hero
    Portal 2 - female hero - female baddie
    Singularity - male hero

I'm leaving out the COD, BFs and MoHs here as I'm not sure it's realistic to have female soldiers on the front lines. I know they exist, but in numbers?

I think the biggest offender out of all of them is either Red Alert which was deliberately open in its campyness or LA Noire which would like to claim it's the most serious.
  • In other news, this is what it says on the packet of the pill I just bought.  "A single dose treatment for vaginal thrush.  It can also be used to treat your partner if he has thrush on his penis."  In other words, you dirty stinking whore, only women get yeast infections on their genitals, and while we could just say 'a single dose treatment for non-gender-specific thrush', we'd like to point out that when you infect a man, it is also your womanly duty to do the shopping, buying this pill while you're at it, and nurse him back to health.

This may or may not have much to do with the thread, but an itchy bell-end makes you irritable.

I may or may not have reached DS levels of disclosure with this post.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Need a no-tail to tell us what a sexy male fighting game character would be. Where's @handsofblue ?
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    In other news, this is what it says on the packet of the pill I just bought.  "A single dose treatment for vaginal thrush.  It can also be used to treat your partner if he has thrush on his penis."  In other words, you dirty stinking whore, only women get yeast infections on their genitals, and while we could just say 'a single dose treatment for non-gender-specific thrush', we'd like to point out that when you infect a man, it is also your womanly duty to do the shopping, buying this pill while you're at it, and nurse him back to health. This may or may not have much to do with the thread, but an itchy bell-end makes you irritable. I may or may not have reached DS levels of disclosure with this post.

Quite relevant considering that men's health issues seem to have less prominence than female ones.
    That a man being unhealthy is seen as a sign of weakness?
    Only been in recent time that things like prostrate cancer and testicular cancer have had a wave of awareness publicity. 
    Again, a weak male would not be seen as the ideal mate for procreation?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:

I've never had vaginal thrush.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm leaving out the COD, BFs and MoHs here as I'm not sure it's realistic to have female soldiers on the front lines. I know they exist, but in numbers?
    Seems the games on the list that paint themselves as coming from a more realistic world mostly feature male leads (often soldiers), and the more fantastical games have a more even mix. Makes sense to me.

Seems like GTA ought to have had a female lead at some point.
  • Need a no-tail to tell us what a sexy male fighting game character would be. Where's @handsofblue ?

Women video games characters are sexy, and the men are strong. Because the games cater to men, you either ogle the women or wish you were a strong man.

A "bad" male video game character, in the same vain as the women ones, would be one who was wearing far too few clothes for the task at hand, had a visible bulge in their pants that has a separate physics engine to power it, and whose intro shots lingered on the crotch/buttocks area.

This would cue a massive internet implosion causing irreversible semantic satiation of the slur "faggot."
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I've never had vaginal thrush.
    Ha ha!  If you'd like some, call me...
  • Ahaha, excellent.

Comics are fucking rife with this. DC's latest Catwoman cover is ridiculous.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!