Let's make a gaming PC
  • PCPartpicker is indeed an excellent website, and there is a Aussie version, you select the country at the top right -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.88 @ Amazon Australia)
    Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($188.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($108.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 8 GB PULSE ITX Video Card  ($215.00 @ Umart)
    Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($58.00 @ Umart)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($133.10 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $1039.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 09:45 AEDT+1100

That is a rough idea, I don't know how painful that price is for you. You can cut down the SSD a little, though that 1TB is a decent deal I think. I've not included the usual Windows retail version, either an OEM key or Linux might be a good idea for a budget. I hear Linux has excellent Steam support for most games now, with OS's like Manjaro... Let me know if you want me to dig up some deets on that.

There is a lot of choices for the case, so you'll have to research that, look at images of the case in situ for an idea if it suits. Silverstone do a lot of decent small cases, there's one with a handle that I've liked the look of for a while. There's been some very fancy and very compact (but difficult to build in) cases released recently I think, can't remember the names off the top of my head though. You will need check that specific cases will accommodate specific hardware like graphics cards and PSUs, worth looking at build videos of them too.

If you want a particularly silent machine let me know and I can look into things like PSU noise in more detail.

Another cool option that won't be as fast as that laptop but is incredibly tiny is the Asrock Deskmini A300 -

Can fit to the back of a screen with a VESA mount, small enough to palm. Uses a Ryzen APU, pretty neat. Only really good for low end stuff though.

Oof just remembered another option, the Hades Canyon NUC, an unholy union between an Intel CPU and AMD GPU. Was actually a really cool product and presumably still works pretty well. Certainly nothing as tiny with that power. https://computers.mwave.com.au/electronics/Hades-Canyon Absolutely no idea if those prices are any good.

Err hope that helps.
  • That does help indeed. It tells me that self build is cheaper, which I knew, but also gave me an idea of by how much.

It also shows I can't really get within console prices ballpark, which I figured, but good to know.

Looking at the little asrock then, I start to think about pure streaming hub, so I can use vpn easily.

My noob understanding would be videocard would wanna still be good, ram far less important, although not nothing, because multi chrome tabs can = chug.

And other stuff could be far less hardcore.

No need for 4k for me, new TV is a loooooong way off.

Basically, instead of matching my laptop, I'd just have a telly watch option, plus current laptop, and continue to save cash for replacement laptop in a year or so.

(with a much better idea of what I want. And with a focus on being able to upgrade.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Anyone got a corsair 1?
  • I think most of us built our own.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Facewon wrote:
    That does help indeed. It tells me that self build is cheaper, which I knew, but also gave me an idea of by how much. It also shows I can't really get within console prices ballpark, which I figured, but good to know. Looking at the little asrock then, I start to think about pure streaming hub, so I can use vpn easily. My noob understanding would be videocard would wanna still be good, ram far less important, although not nothing, because multi chrome tabs can = chug. And other stuff could be far less hardcore. No need for 4k for me, new TV is a loooooong way off. Basically, instead of matching my laptop, I'd just have a telly watch option, plus current laptop, and continue to save cash for replacement laptop in a year or so. (with a much better idea of what I want. And with a focus on being able to upgrade.)

Not sure if I made it clear above, but keep in mind that the little Asrock box won't accept a GPU, and just uses the onboard graphics of a Ryzen APU, which can be perfectly good for a lot of things but it's worth looking into for your use cases. I think it should work just fine for a streaming hub though as well as light gaming, but do check it out.
  • I think most of us built our own.

Not sure i want to build. There's nice ones on chillblast again, but corsair popped up in my research.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I do enjoy building my own, but if I see a Corsair One with a decent discount I'll be all over it. I have dreams about them.
  • It's very easy and you're more likely to upgrade stuff once you've built your own rather than just buying a new one every few years. Also, your going to need to know where everything is when things like The Index wireless adapter becomes availing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is a monitor instead of a new TV a daft idea for the next gen consoles? Seems you can get more bang for your buck. Not interested in watching TV or films on it, it's purely for games.
  • Wait index isn't wireless?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    PCPartpicker is indeed an excellent website, and there is a Aussie version, you select the country at the top right -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.88 @ Amazon Australia)
    Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($188.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($108.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 8 GB PULSE ITX Video Card  ($215.00 @ Umart)
    Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($58.00 @ Umart)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($133.10 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $1039.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 09:45 AEDT+1100

That is a rough idea, I don't know how painful that price is for you. You can cut down the SSD a little, though that 1TB is a decent deal I think. I've not included the usual Windows retail version, either an OEM key or Linux might be a good idea for a budget. I hear Linux has excellent Steam support for most games now, with OS's like Manjaro... Let me know if you want me to dig up some deets on that.

There is a lot of choices for the case, so you'll have to research that, look at images of the case in situ for an idea if it suits. Silverstone do a lot of decent small cases, there's one with a handle that I've liked the look of for a while. There's been some very fancy and very compact (but difficult to build in) cases released recently I think, can't remember the names off the top of my head though. You will need check that specific cases will accommodate specific hardware like graphics cards and PSUs, worth looking at build videos of them too.

If you want a particularly silent machine let me know and I can look into things like PSU noise in more detail.

Another cool option that won't be as fast as that laptop but is incredibly tiny is the Asrock Deskmini A300 -

Can fit to the back of a screen with a VESA mount, small enough to palm. Uses a Ryzen APU, pretty neat. Only really good for low end stuff though.

Oof just remembered another option, the Hades Canyon NUC, an unholy union between an Intel CPU and AMD GPU. Was actually a really cool product and presumably still works pretty well. Certainly nothing as tiny with that power. https://computers.mwave.com.au/electronics/Hades-Canyon Absolutely no idea if those prices are any good.

Err hope that helps.

Can someone in the know let me know how future proof that is?

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Wait index isn't wireless?

Probably be around £300 for the adapter.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • @regmcfly given I asked gurt to match my laptop, I'd say the answer is moderately.

Given you could upgrade bits, obviously a bit more future proof than my laptop.

But for reference:

-destiny 2, runs like a boss with settings on mid/high. 60fps. Since adding an external fan even heavy crazy bits run pretty smooth.

- metro exodus. A real mixed bag. Nowhere near high settings. The lighting and stuff sends things a bit Cray Cray. I've ended up going low in some spots to get framerate solid.

- ashen. Smaller dev so flakey again. Ended up around low/mid. Given where it ended up and where it started some of this was down to dev doing updates, so it started funky on pc generally.

- dirt rally, dark souls 3, the surge all mint. Ds3 is particularly impressive. Rock solid high fps and detail.

- hellblade, mid/high settings. Some flakey moments, but mostly solid.

After that, I'm all 2d and slay the spire etc. Or older stuff like talos principle (high settings and smooth as).

I know that doesn't talk numbers, just broad idea around games that are on console too.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    I do enjoy building my own, but if I see a Corsair One with a decent discount I'll be all over it. I have dreams about them.
    Keep in mind upgradability and how easy or not it is to get in and about these kinds of systems, it's worth looking into to make sure you'll be able to switch out graphics cards and things in the future. Another factor can be the noise, with prebuilts you don't get to handpick stuff that might have better fans. When I put builds together I always try to choose PSUs that have a silent fan mode at idle for example..

regmcfly wrote:
    Can someone in the know let me know how future proof that is?

What are you referring to? The DeskMini? That isn't as future proof as something like a full custom ITX system, as you are limited to just lowish TDP Ryzen APUs, all you can really do is swap out RAM and the CPU. They do support the 3000 series chips apparently, like the 3400G, and I guess they could support future chips potentially depending on what AMD does for socket support.

Look into reviews and tests of the Ryzen 2200G, 2400G, 3400G to get an idea of what to expect in terms of gameplay. The graphics side of it is a bit less powerful than the current consoles, but will run older or non-demanding stuff pretty well, and you get the benefit of low cost and small form factor when you don't need a GPU.

There are many options for fabulously small cases, though you need to be aware of the compromises when trying to cram stuff into them.

This was an indiegogo thing apparently, and can't be ordered atm. Might come up for preorder again though.

If you look about there will be no end of neat little cases like this, I'm really keep on getting something a bit like one of those Silverstone Milo cases, the one with the handle. I could use it for lugging around to gigs for handling audio and video, one day...
  • In terms of the future-proofness of the PCPartpicker list of that ITX build, as long as the case is not too restrictive then it will be very future proof, will be a doddle to add new CPUs and GPUs down the line.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    @facewon - thanks. I'm looking for something relatively next gen proof as my current pc was. It will still run current games on 1080 but the res is starting to go.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Wait index isn't wireless?

Probably be around £300 for the adapter.

It'll be cost price when it does come out, probably the end of next year after the new wireless standard is introduced (March). There's not enough bandwidth to do wireless Index with current tech.

• The RX 5500 and 5500 XT are reckoned to launch mid December, with the 5500 XT being my pick if the price is right, due to having 8GB of VRAM. Should be a decent mid budget option, competing with Nvidia's 1650 line.
  • Massive list of PC hardware deals, including monitors, keyboards, mice - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/26/best-black-friday-pc-gaming-deals-2019/

I wouldn't generally recommend the big-brand mechanical keyboards though, usually poor value considering the build quality and materials. There's better out there if you know where to look.
  • I am looking for a new keyboard, the Ducky looks good. My Refurbed K70 broke, and when I sent it back for repair it came back worse than before - womp womp.
  • Oof, what broke on it?

Yeah Ducky are generally good, the best brand listed there. There are some other good choices out there, but many of the smaller brands are a bit transient. The thing about the Ducky there that trounces all other typical 'gaming' boards is the proper keycaps, thick doubleshot PBT compared to Corsair's and all other brands thin laser ablated ABS. The doubleshot PBT's legends will never wear away, and the feel of them as well as the sound and feel from the keys is much much better than most cheap caps, the thin lasered ABS just feel and sound crap in comparison, and the legends will start to wear off before too long. It's shocking that all these really expensive gamer brand boards use the shittest cheapest caps available.

I absolutely recommend a smaller board, like a tenkeyless, or 75% / 65%. Much more comfortable for using the computer for long periods as you don't have the stretch between your left hand and right on the mouse, better wrist angle. If have specific need for a numberpad then go fullsize or 1800 layout or something, otherwise the numberpad is just sitting there taking up space on your desk and reducing comfort. 75% is my favourite for a general gaming keyboard, you get all the keys that you need for 98% of games, in a super compact layout. The Vortex Race 3 with Kailh Silvers I have has been great. As expensive as some of the higher end gamer brand boards but actually well made out of aluminum and such.
  • That Ducky One2 TKL in the RPS list uses Cherry Blue switches, which are clicky and loud, many don't prefer these for gaming with linear switches being the most common choice. This is a light linear version though not on sale annoyingly.

Leopold is another brand that do superbly solid and high quality boards, one of the best options before you get into just building your own (which is a lot of fun).
  • I’ve got my finger over the order button for the ryzen 3600 and the b450 tomahawk. It’s an upgrade from an intel 6500, which isn’t so much showing its age as never having been amazing. I’m just really not sure I need it, but it would be nice not being cpu bottlenecked on certain random things (example - foliage density in talos principle vr, FPS dipping below 60 in towns in assassins creed).

Should I?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Would you not need a new motherboard if you're switching from Intel to amd?
  • Yeah, hence the b450 I listed. The new intels use a new socket too, so I don’t think there’s much scope to upgrade without a new mobo.
  • Ye I would, quad cores have had it IMO, performance will drop below 60 in many games.

You may as well get the Tomahawk Max as it's a tenner cheaper right now and will work out of the box with the newer 3000 series CPUs, no difference apart from that though I think. £90 is a good price.

You could save £70 and get the 2600 if you are only running a 60Hz monitor, but if you think you might want to get into high refresh rates in the near future then the 3600 will be better.
  • Yeah - the max is the one I've got on my wishlist. It's been £90 for a little while I think, as it's only 0.01 cheaper than when I initially put it on. 

Delivery time is 1-2 months, so I guess I'll hold on for a bit and see if I really want it.
  • I saw that, there are other shops that seem to have it in stock right now though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Yeah, hence the b450 I listed. The new intels use a new socket too, so I don’t think there’s much scope to upgrade without a new mobo.
    Oh yeah. I need to read more carefully.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!