Super Street Fighter 4: Cross-up Tatsu Wake-up Ultra edition.
  • I found SF4 easier to get into.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Bear in mind that SFxT is riddled with bugs.

Oh really? 

Patch incoming?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yeah.

JRPC, when I'm work tomorrow I will write some thoughts about patience vs progression.
  • Nick wrote:
    Yeah. JRPC, when I'm work tomorrow I will write some thoughts about patience vs progression.

Cheers buddy :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Bear in mind that SFxT is riddled with bugs.
    Oh really?  Patch incoming?

They've already patched it once and introduced more bugs. In fact, they introduced a new bug in the patch that causes your 360 to lock up. (I presume the same thing happens on PS3.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    They've already patched it once and introduced more bugs. In fact, they introduced a new bug in the patch that causes your 360 to lock up. (I presume the same thing happens on PS3.)

Yeah, it's both versions. Each time Rolento's knife hits a projectile it happens. I was a bit offended that they had the gall to release new DLC gems and costumes when this shit wasn't fixed yet.

• The patch for that was released yesterday, I can confirm its fixed the issue. While glitch was a colossal fuck up, DLC is in the pipeline on Live long before it is released, my guess is that Capcom couldn't (either for cost, or because of MS restrictions) stop the interim dlc from going through as it was already lined up in the system.

That said in regards to beginner friendliness, SFxTek is, in theory accomodating. It was designed to be, if you believe the marketing hyperbole. However thanks to Cappo ballsing everything they possibly could and alienating the fanbase, it is almost dead online. There are a few of us from here or mordor mashup that still play though.

Tekken Tag 2 is out in September though, and has your brginner/trsining mode covered in its fight lab.

Also SC5 is quite easy to pick up as there is little requirement for players to hit insane links in order to pull off a combo. Its netcode is also the best of any fighter to date.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Right you lot, sort me out.

I got SF4 and then SSF4 way back and as much as I loved it at the beginning, I hit a serious wall quite early on and just wasn't getting any better. Couldn't even manage to do most of the combos in the training stages (tried to do Ryu's for literally hours). Eventually got frustrated and turned it off.

I love the idea of these games and I reckon if I could just find a way into it, I'd be hooked proper, but I struggled.

@JRPC

I’ll just talk a bit about learning to get to a competitive level at SFIV. It’s the one I recommend of the games you’re up for trying. I’m not sure of your knowledge and skill level, so I apologise if I’m over explaining things. I’ll briefly explain some terminology as there are inconspicuous words in the SF lexicon that have a very specific meaning.

Normals – any attack button or attack that isn’t a special move, super, ultra, throw or command normal.

Command Normal - a direction and attack button that creates a new move. An example is > + medium punch with Ryu which hits overhead.

Overhead – an attack that must be blocked standing up.

Combo – a string of attacks that the opponent is unable to block if the first hit connected.

Link – a strict timing combo. One that you can’t dial in like a tekken chain (punch punch kick you can press as quickly as you like, for an example in that game, and it will all connect).Links exist because when some moves connect, your opponent is a reeling animation of ‘recovery’, during which time your move ends and there is a very strict window of opportunity to input the next one.

Cancel – interrupting the animation of one move to combo a second. Normals cancel into special moves, special moves cancel into supers. It’s not a quirk of the game system like links, it’s a deliberate mechanic that allows you to pile on damage, and for new player it’s one of the first things to master. An example is cancelling Ryu’s standing fierce (hp) into a shoryuken. Whilst the fierce connects, input the shoryuken.

Lp/mp/hp lk/mk/hk – low punch, medium punch, hard punch, light kick, medium kick, hard kick

QCF - quarter circle forward motion used for hadouken, and inputted twice before many ultras

Crossup – jumping deliberately over someone’s head, and inputting a normal in the air that designed to hit them in the back. They face one way, and get hit from the other. It’s hard to block the right way, can even be as bad as 50% likely that they can block it, with no risk for you. This is called gambling in your favour, and it’s my whole playstyle.

- That’s as much terminology as you need to start deliberately practicing stuff that will help you win.

There are two ways you can get better at SFIV. One player things (1p) and two player things. The former requires more patience, but both lead to progression of skill.

1p

It’s about execution. Let’s take an easy example with Ryu, then something a bit harder.

Cancel combo

Let’s put a crossup in here so you practice two techniques at once. In training, jump over the dummy, and at the last possible moment in the air hit mk. You should hit their back shoulder and land next to them, automatically forcing them to switch direction. When it connects, hit hp, and immediately do a mp shoryuken for a 4 hit combo. If your struggling with the shoryuken, try activating it with down forward tapped twice rather than the traditional towards, down, down forward and punch. This is an input shortcut, SFIV is full of them.

When you can do this combo consistently, try it after you get a throw in a match. They can’t stand quickly, so it’s hard to block the air mk, therefore the rest will connect.

Another fun cancel combo. > +hp command normal, cancel into shoryuken.

Link Combo

Ryu has a silly little combo, where you can link his low medium punch into itself, and then link a low roundhouse for a knockdown (one which you can’t rise quickly from, giving you more advantage to plan your next move). To do this combo you hold down and press mp, mp, hk. Sounds easy? Well links like have a window of one or two sixtieths of a second in which you can input the next move. So how to practice this. Go into training mode, and when you press the mp, press lp at the same time both times. This doubles that window but letting the computer read it as two inputs. Then when you can get a two hit combo from low mp, low mp consistently try adding the hk. But press hk and mk at the same time to increase the chance of that one too. Whole combo:

Lp + mp > lp +mp > mk +hk

Cheap ass combo.

Set the dummy to jump. Do a lp shoryuken whilst he’s in the air. When he’s falling input two qcfs and all three punches. You’ll do an ultra fireball that he can’t avoid. Do this in every match where the opponent jumps a lot.

2p things.

Blocking. It’s underrated. Some games, just see how much pressure you can soak up before you’re hit. A bad to intermediate player can’t get free hits off you if you’re careful.

Everything above requires some patience, and doing that stuff alone is not fun in my opinion. So this is where it counts. Your progression here will live and die by how much you enjoy the game, so if there’s any way you can find someone of similar skill level for regular matches, that’s the best way possible to improve. But something I have been taought recently has really helped me, it’s about how you lose.

It’s fine- for your sanity as well as progression - to play and lose over and over on one condition. That you learned something. If the guy keeps jumping on you, and you had ultra lit, you could have some the cheap ass combo. If you got a throw and didn’t try a crossup combo, remember to next time. Just watch what the opponent does. Much of my play now is about seeing how much rope I need to hand the opponent for them to hang themselves. If they throw two fireballs in a row, move back and forward so you know you’re in jump in range to land a jumping hk into combo. If they jump all the time and you’re struggling to get the shoryuken out, just do down + hp over and over – half the life will disappear and you’re doing almost nothing.

Lastly, just cos I have to give a presentation in a minute, ask ask ask! If you’re really getting into it you’ll find the community is one of the best in gaming for sharing info. Shoryuken.com and mordor-mashup.com are you friends.

Happy fightans
  • Ok I forgot something pretty important.

For the link combo training. Instead of lp + mp, it’s a little trickier. You need to press the harder strength button SLIGHTLY before to extend the window. Imagine you were pressing two piano keys with two fingers, and they fell like 1 then immediately 2.
  • There are many things in 3S I still can't execute with consistency after several years of practice (well, not in total) with a single character. It's a constant source of irritation and I definitely blame my tools.

So many combo things come down to sheer input rhythm, but you can count on a single hand the number of fightman games that have ever bothered to factor that into their training modes.
  • Nick wrote:
    I saw it, nice article.
    I now really like SFxT. Flat mate almost always pumps me at it though.
    Fancy a game sometime? Most of the MM lot have dropped it, but I still love my Hwoarnaganagrang.

Just saw this. Yeah I'll give you a game some time. I'm not very good but it'll be good to have a few games against someone that uses characters other than Kazuya and Jin.

I'm off to Belfast for 2 weeks this weekend but we can get something sorted when I come back.
  • sf vs tekken is a more complex game imo. Mainly because the tagging element brings in X amount more options mid round/match. Its also a faster clusterfuck of a game (ahem marvel).

SFIV though is where you will learn better strategy (which can ultimately be applied to a wider selection of fighting games) like positioning, links and so forth.

iirc you work in south london near me so if you fancy some two player local then pop to wimbledon and we can go through some basic-intermediate stuff. If we ask nicely nick/james/ricky/Elf and pez might come too :)

main thing is.. stick or pad?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Brooks wrote:
    you can count on a single hand the number of fightman games that have ever bothered to factor that into their training modes.

Tekken.

Harada will set us free.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That was the one I was thinking of, indeed. Such a fucking missed trick, still.
  • Totally agree.

Where's JRPC to tell me that he didn't understand a word lol.
  • @Nick: Cheers for that. Will have to read through that a few times. It don't half sound technical tho! That's one of the reasons I think I fancy it I guess, but it's a serious curve alright.

Will check out those sites you mentioned too.
    mk64 wrote:
    sf vs tekken is a more complex game imo. Mainly because the tagging element brings in X amount more options mid round/match. Its also a faster clusterfuck of a game (ahem marvel). SFIV though is where you will learn better strategy (which can ultimately be applied to a wider selection of fighting games) like positioning, links and so forth. iirc you work in south london near me so if you fancy some two player local then pop to wimbledon and we can go through some basic-intermediate stuff. If we ask nicely nick/james/ricky/Elf and pez might come too :) main thing is.. stick or pad?

Is that directed at me? Actually, I don't - but will soon. Moving there in Sept, so yeah sounds good :)

Never one for half measures, when the game first came out I bought the Tournament Stick. Currently sitting on top of my wardrobe looking pretty. 

OK, gonna stick with SSF4 then. General invitation to all: if you see me playing on LIVE, feel free to send me an invite and give me a pasting.

Edit: @Nick - timing!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I found tbird's videos very helpful with SSFIV, along with the patience of the MM lot.  Would be happy to play some casuals as I've barely touched it in a year.
    Beginner's Guide Part 1
  • Cool - JRPC, try having that info open whilst in training mode, it will all begin to make sense.

Hey dubs! Your Sakura is awesomes, I'd love to run out my fledgling DJ against it..
  • Dubs wrote:
    I found tbird's videos very helpful with SSFIV, along with the patience of the MM lot.  Would be happy to play some casuals as I've barely touched it in a year. Beginner's Guide Part 1

Nice one dubs.

You up for some pre-H3 games tonight maybe? I'll be on from around 7:30/8 of you fancy a few HADOOKEN's etc.

edit: Yeah, those vids look good. So much to it!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yeah I'm up for a few games later, will dig the oily man stick out now.  It has both The Rock and Triple-H on it, magnificent.
  • Pics, please, for the love of Ken Masters pics.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Uh, it's just the standard WWE Brawlstick, I read that it has the similar innards to the Street Fighter SE sticks so I figured it was a fair substitute, burly men aside.
  • Ahh that one. Was imagining custom wrestler business.
  • JRPC wrote:
    I'll be on from around 7:30/8 of you fancy a few HADOOKEN's etc.

Football, dude, Football!!

I'll add you to my FL next time I get a chance to play something on my 360. Get into it, get better/good, then come to MM once you're a Londoner. Sorted, bruv!

(Nick, epic beginner's guide write-up!)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Despite only giving SFxT a brief run, the idea that it's more "beginner friendly" than SSF4 is utterly fucking ludicrous IMO. Edge were talking some next level nonsense when they said that, I'm sure.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Despite only giving SFxT a brief run, the idea that it's more "beginner friendly" than SSF4 is utterly fucking ludicrous IMO. Edge were talking some next level nonsense when they said that, I'm sure.

i defo do think its easier to learn from and easier for beginers to get in to just becouse of the tutorials that teach you all the moves and basics.
    as well as some combos and some challenge modes to learn more.
    its also not got and cqfx2 type stuff its all just cqf with 2 buttons and stuff.

i leant my copy out a bit a go and im now starting to miss it after reading this thread.

@brooks. that new vf5 game (on live/psn) has a nice input display.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Tutorial wise, maybe. Particularly if you're not tainted by too much experience of SF4.

Mechanically though? There's an awful lot going on compared to the simplicity of base Street Fighter.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    i wouldn't say it were all that simple really.
    i thought i were getting really good at it online and got quite a few wins under my belt.
    only to learn i hadn't ever used the unblockable 2xpunch/2xkick thing that makes you go yellow for a few seconds. (sf4)
    i then got fucked over regular by these.

there importance was never explained or anything.

everything is taught to you in sfxt from the very begining (although there is the option to skip).

saying all this im really tempted to dl ssf4ae from psn for 15 notes.
    what were added to it from sf4?
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Do i need the 'arcade' thing to play ssf4 with you lot?

Should i get i anyway?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!