Super Street Fighter 4: Cross-up Tatsu Wake-up Ultra edition.
  • Yes, please get that. Then we can play together : )

Happy to jump in a lobby on the mic if you want some guidance.
  • Despite only giving SFxT a brief run, the idea that it's more "beginner friendly" than SSF4 is utterly fucking ludicrous IMO. Edge were talking some next level nonsense when they said that, I'm sure.

I took the Edge review to mean that SFxT has more options and training stuff to ease a beginner into the game, something SF4 didn't do, as opposed to the game mechanically being easier to get into.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's a bit lame anyway.
  • SFxTek has far less that's difficult to do than AE. You guys are confusing more mechanics with higher execution barrier.

The inputs and general execution is piss in SFxTekken compared to AE. Tagging, cross arts and cross assault mechanics are not hard to learn to use for new people. Unlike say FADC in SF.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tutorial wise, maybe. Particularly if you're not tainted by too much experience of SF4. Mechanically though? There's an awful lot going on compared to the simplicity of base Street Fighter.

It's about more than just the mechanics, though. I could never get my head around SFIV, could never get into the flow of it. The computer would rock me every time I bumped the difficulty up to Easy. (I usually played Very Easy.)

Conversely, I loved MvC3. It's got a lot more going on: assists, cross overs, hyper combos, etc. Even though the base mechanics were more complex, I found it easier to learn*.

I mean, Go is simpler (rules-wise) than Chess, but no one has made a computer program that can beat the best Go players yet.

*Though this might be due to spending a lot of time playing TvC.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Well that was awesome, cheers to dubs and nick.

It was like having my very own Mr Miagi and that bearded dude from Kill Bill in all in one.

Gonna take my two moves online now and FUCK SOME SHIT UP!!!

Gotta sort my mic out for the stick though. dunno what the hell's happening there.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • So I took my two moves online. 

Turns out everyone knew them already.

:(
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My Street Fighter IV days were preceded by a Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection full of friendly beginners. It was one of the few online-enabled PS3 games in 2007, and it was cheap. The problem with fighting games now is that they've tanked up on skilled players over those five years.

I wasn't particularly good at Tekken 5 for a long time, it just crept under my skin as I began to really enjoy improving my tactics. I thought it was casual fun until I found myself thinking about stuff when I wasn't playing.

All I'd say in terms of recommendation is that SF IV is deceptively complex. Being easier to pick up than many is often the eventual undoing of a happy friendship when you can't understand why visual Bill Oddities repeatedly occur. It's all there in the frames and hitboxes, but that calls for an investment not explicitly requested by in-game events.

When I learnt a bit about frames (execution time of move elements) in Tekken it was very 'Ah, well that makes sense'. I didn't need to know most of it because Tekken's pretty face-value; fast moves are fast... Some have good priority against other moves, while some don't. All comes out in the wash.

For every online game, the most important thing is its community. Sprite-based fighters have less backroom frame-diddling than the so-called 2.5D Street Fighter IV and Marvel 3. Not that I'm down on IV, and it is fairly straightforward to learn up until its final furlong. All fighting games are much less aggro with live help from local types. If only to confirm that X beats Y as you go along.

[edit]

To be clearer about frames, they're not especially important. All I was driving at is that frames can explain why certain moves are good or bad contrary to their visual appearance. I do think 3D games are more transparent in this regard owing to their slower gameplay giving your eyes more time to 'see'.
  • Jprc. I'm a Ryun player and have taken considerable life bar from loads of players (including mm'ers) using a tastey mix up game. My combos are no longer than 6 hits and even then I'm probably chaining more than linking. So much to sf is about knowing your opponent in both mind and character. with why I mix up the forward medium punch overhead (which is Sooo fuckingslow compared to HDR or ssf2) on someone's wake up with standing into crouching hard sweep or throw. Keep your opponent second guessing if you are playing as one of the classic characters because they know what's coming. When I play nick (sick ken) I don't play like traditional competition players because he knows what's coming. Yes their combos are effective but I mix them with Random shit. A great example is walk up throw in any sf game. It is cheeky as fuck and reeks of stupidness (sf2) but as throwing is so effecting and you can kara throw, walk up through is a staple part of the main game.

I'm fucked and rambling but jorc you are welcome at mine whenever.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'm not confusing anything, Roujin. I also disagree, but I'm not going to bother arguing the point.

Swirl, that's because nobody gives a fuck about Go. ;-)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message

My Go playing friends will fuck you up (at Go).
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    SFxTek has far less that's difficult to do than AE. You guys are confusing more mechanics with higher execution barrier. The inputs and general execution is piss in SFxTekken compared to AE. Tagging, cross arts and cross assault mechanics are not hard to learn to use for new people. Unlike say FADC in SF.

I agree with that.

You've got to respect Capcom for attempting to create a throwback to the Alpha games... You know... jump in and give the opponent a fucking good kicking before one can get their shit together. 

It's nothing like the whole SF4 "know thy opponent" craftwork stuff, which might not be for everyone. Or Marvel vs Capcom, which looks all childlike and enticing until you realise that the object of the game is to NEVER fuck up. 

Ever.

So yeah, SFxT is refreshing, because (whisper it quietly) it is a genuine pleasure to play... It feels satisfying, and it's not a badger to learn. And much like Tekken 6, when you get beaten (even by scrub/poor players), you don't feel the frustration as much...

But there are so many fundamental design/technical flaws in SFxT that it presents a completely different barrier to entry...

One that actually has very little to do with the game itself, and more to do with how (and perhaps even, why...) the game was produced... 

That's why I don't have a copy*. 

*That said, I've been playing games a lot less recently. : |
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    It's actually really popular here, though they call it Baduk. There's a match on TV right now and both players appear to be sponsored. One by a big telecom company.

I don't know how to play.
  • GO GET 'EM MURPHY!

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's actually really popular here, though they call it Baduk. There's a match on TV right now and both players appear to be sponsored. One by a big telecom company. I don't know how to play.

It's really simple, I've played a couple of times. You just have to place your stones so they surround your opponent's. It sounds stupid but it gets crazy hard. I never had the patience for it, but I can see why people get really into it.

But, um, VIDEO GAMES. Yes. BEAT EM UPS. How about them combos?
  • Who wants some? My Rolento will fuck you up.
  • Went around to Nicks yesterday for some beer/munch/SF etc yesterday. Had a wicked one. Slightly more drink than i'd planned but it just made getting home feel quicker!

Saw a bit of demon souls which looked bigger than my mind could cope with! Then played some of the guys on Nicks friendslist. Managed to hold my own ok here and there despite the lack of FADC'ing -> ultra which is ryus staple game. Will try to put some practice in.

Also, james and jason going to evo wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? Kept that fucking quiet boys :D
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah good stuff man, nice to see ya.

That beer was just disappearing, definitely affected our game but we did ok. I like your SF2 style of play, as you say just a couple of SF4 tweaks to the repertoire and you'll hold your own in any scenario.

Cheery Pez is up for another meet soon - check in with us at MM.com.
  • @tigerswiftly  Could you put my psn up on the front page for some ae2012.I'm not great but looking to get better.

PSN:theLurch666
    You rang.....
  • Hey man, feel free to add me on xbox I'm MM nickfullspec

Maybe you could get some games with JRPC, as he's levelling up too at the moment.

On an unrelated tip. Sometimes, the stuff that happens online in this really pisses me off. I'm not talking about the actual game - last night I was playing player matches with someone, winning maybe 80% of the matches, and I could tell he was getting a bit frustrated - you know when someone blames x/y/z instead of acknowleging that you're paying well? I didn't really mind that, whatever, but then a 'known' player joins the lobby. Straight away there was no chat coming my way - to be fair these two people know each other - but being a fifth wheel isn't fun, so I turn off my mic. Anyway I beat this guy and I can hear the salt coming through the t.v "fucking ken wahh wahh mashing wahh wahh". I get a text from the guy I'm playing with "where's your mic". Me - "on the table", I play a couple more and leave.

This kind of thing is the exception rather than the rule, but fuck online serioulsy.
  • if someone called out my main like that i'd get on the mic and rip em to shreds.
  • Not worth it. Dragon Punch speaks louder than words.
  • nice
  • Especially when you're mashing it out during their combos amiright! *jokes*

Seriously though, I pulled out my fight stick to have a bash on SF4 Super as a rest from Trials Evo. Managed to get Goukens last trial, which I was very pleased with myself for, but ideally I'd like to start playing some friendly matches against people of a similar skill level (poor) instead of bashing my head against the later challenges. Is anyone still playing?
  • Nick wrote:
    Hey man, feel free to add me on xbox I'm MM nickfullspec

Thanks but I'm too cheap to pay for xbox live.
    You rang.....
  • MK, sorry I didn't reply to yer text, read it before going back to sleep Sunday afternoon and then totally forgot about it. Would defo be up for some games at Nick's in the future.

I think the whole SFxT thing comes down to there being so much more to do in it to win, but to do it is relatively easy to execute. Where as SFIV on the whoel is a much simpler beast but those simple things take a fuck load of work to get down reliably (See Rose's only bread and butter: cr.lp, cr.lk, cr.mpxx lk Spiral. Partly my fat hands and trainign room boredom means that well over  ayear later i still have difficulty landing it very reliably offline and hardly ever on. The one frame link right in the middle is a total ass).

That and how much you can get off a jab. SFxT and Marvel chains mean one single hit confirm can mean a big lead, linking anything reliable and damaging off a single jab in AE takes a lot more effort because sooner rather than later a one framer or two will come along and fuck up your day.

Myeh, SFxT could have been a load of fun, just really hoping they got all the bullshit out of their system for Darksatlkers 4. I shall not be holding my icy Sasquatch breath though...
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Predicting Capcom to skullfuck that as well. Left to their own devices Capcom's in house team have managed to produce MvC3 (borked beyond reason at launch) and SFxTek (borked again).

Conversely the team who laid the groundwork in SF4 went on to do KoF13 which, were it not for its horrible netcode could have become the current go-to fighter.
  • its weird how dev teams must know that the out and out most important thing about any fighting game is a sense of balance. Yet they end up anything but. Longer beta tests wouldn't go amiss.
  • Location tests are a must. This is why aracde fighters ususally have such superior balance.
  • Darkstalkers 4, you say?? Give us CvSNK 3 you fucking cunts!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!