Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t think of a single reason why redoing stage 1 would be a good idea.
  • Sounds reasonable to me actually. Sometimes having a perceived head start and being punted into the interview process after other applicants have just been seen can work against you, so I don't think it's a bad situation to be in.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • We've just seen Johnny and Jim and Tom, We like Johnny and Tom. Let's put them through to the 2nd round of interviews. Wait, who's this guy Scott? He was here months ago? I barely remember him. That Tom though, he's a good fella.
  • But I liked Freddy.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Part of me thinks it's pointless, but i also see the argument g's just made. It's a different guy, interviewing me for what's technically a different job, so i may as well do it. There's only 2 other people going for it, so hopefully they're shite. Or at least, more shite than me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, fair play.
  • Also don't forget it's a two-way process, and Round One is your chance to ask what the job is etc. Round Two is too late because either you'll look stupid for now asking in R1 or it'll be with someone too removed from it who won't actually know.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I figure I’m keeping my integrity by telling it like it is.

hFG3NiT.gif
  • Just turn up Monday and start the job.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • So, weirdly, i am really shit at career stuff. I tend to be the dork who gets the work done. More recently I've had my head out of my arse and decided I cared more about how things are done, mainly because things have been done very badly of late. I have worried about things and mentioned them that turned out in the end to be things it was right to be worried about. So when my boss moved, and he urged me to apply, I did. I did it on the basis that no one else internal is applying (it's that bad) and someone at least someob internal should apply, in case external applicants are dunces. Turned out lots of external people applied, so I was not hopeful. Also, I wasn't a shoe in because I've been a bit of a cunt to the top top boss, who is an utter dickflap.

Anyway, today I was offered the job, after someone law turned it down. I was told that I would get an extra 5% since it is a promotion, and that is that. It is a lot more work and a lot more responsibility am I wrong to think, no way, I should ask for more? I've not really had a bump in pay since I started, ten years ago. I'm thinking of asking for 10%.

I am mainly reasoning that, if they are asking me, they really can't be thinking much of the next candidate on the list. I have them over a barrel. Next, if they turn around and say no, I can always cave. Finally, I'm not that desperate for this job. It's a big job. My team is a cluaterfuck.

On the other hand, just moving up a grade /title might be enough in terms of career. Help, o career guru badgers, you who aren't afraid to ask for more. What should zonzo do?
  • I don't know your industry but 5% seems low to me. Can you look up average salaries for your role?

Also congrats on the offer.
  • My industry is the civil service, and it is seriously fucked up. People who know people and are "operators" do great, somehow get great wage progression. For most people, progression is slow af or nonexistent, but the trade off used to be job security, pensions, and in some cases not very long hours. All of these are gone.
  • Congrats. 5% is shit though, after tax it’ll basically be fuck all.

“Interesting” etymological fact, the term”shoo in” is from horse racing, where a horse is so certain to win (presumably from the race being fixed) it just needs to be “shoo”ed in.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure how flexible the Civil Service can be with pay grades and job descriptions. I'm sure there is a certain level of flexibility but I would imagine it is limited.

I'm a public servant too (not CS though) and it is pretty limited though we too see certain people get promoted because of things not necessarily connected to ability to performance.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I got the call while in Paris. In in the Eurostar now getting smashed. I feel like my ego has been vindicated. But the job itself should be worth a lot more.
  • Ask for 20%. Or more holidays.
  • Congrats Gonz. I'd definitely be asking for more than 5% though.
  • Was the job not advertised with a salary figure Gonz?
  • It's advertised at a band, and an extra 5% would put me in at the lowish end of the band. It's weird. Welcum to the CS.
  • If you've been there for ten years like you say, then I'd negotiate for more, but still within the band. You're an asset to the company, not some new boy that doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It strikes me that you don't seem to have come to a final conclusion about whether you would accept the job at 5%, which doesn't seem like a great state in which to enter negotiation. I think it would be very beneficial to have it clear in your mind what your response to the possible scenarios would be.

Also, you say that you are 'shit at career stuff'. You seem reasonably content or comfortable in your current role, yet it seems that if you accept this significantly more stressful role at a 5% pay increase then this might no longer be the case. Wouldn't having to find alternative work after 10 years at your current workplace ultimately be peak career stuff?

It's your decision what to do now but make sure you're actively making a decision and not semi-sleepwalking into a scenario you don't want.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Catholics?

Not quite.....used to be quite the opposite actually.

I'm not sure what the qualities seem to be - the ability to not have your opinion on anything whilst impersonating a nodding dog at meetings seems to be a winning mix in certain parts.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ask for 10%. Don't budge below 7.5%. If they won't pay call their bluff.
  • I would definitely ask for 10%.

Two questions to ask yourself though...
    Will you be content with the salary offered?
    Do you want to take on the role or do you feel you should?
  • Yeh, erm, from the way you've painted this picture you don't sound too enthusiastic about this role and the added hours/responsibilities, especially for a paltry 5% bump.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Shouldn’t you go to the mid point of the next band?

Would you like me to ask someone who works in CS HE who would know (not giving any specific details obv)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!