Work - The pros and the cons...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just back in from "a week later" night out after our server room move.

I and the "management team" chipped in for pizza and beers and we had a wee session in the office for a couple of hours before heading out for a few more beers.

Having such a great working environment., It requires a great bunch of people - you really can't put a price on it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • IT people, lend me your erm, eyes I guess.

How difficult would you say this job would be? There have been no applicants, so it's now been reposted  slightly differently here. Wondering if I can wing it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Doesn't look very wingable to me, TBH.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    it covers a fair old bit - there's no sense of how many servers are to be managed. You also seem to be on your own too. 1000 users ? On your own? I can why they didn't get a bite.

It sounds like  general dogsbody job - and you would be run ragged.

There's a perception that working in a vocational environment such as a charity would drive an IT person mad as well.
  • davyK wrote:
    it covers a fair old bit - there's no sense of how many servers are to be managed. You also seem to be on your own too. 1000 users ? On your own? I can why they didn't get a bite. It sounds like  general dogsbody job - and you would be run ragged. There's a perception that working in a vocational environment such as a charity would drive an IT person mad as well.

It's you and the IT manager.
  • They're looking for someone who can design, implement and support an entire IT estate including desktop/server/routing/switching/firewall/circuits etc. for fuck all money.  That's nonsense.
  • Exactly my thoughts. What a joke our economy is.
  • Aye. That’s similar to our industry where a young graphic designer is now expected to be a designer, art worker, illustrator, photographer, project manager, animator, video editor, website developer, UX designer, client contact, account manager, and probably more besides. I am eternally grateful for being old enough to pitch myself as creative director and just tell these multitaskers what to do.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    They're looking for someone who can design, implement and support an entire IT estate including desktop/server/routing/switching/firewall/circuits etc. for fuck all money.  That's nonsense.

Aye....sounds like the people hiring haven't the first idea what is involved. Or they are just taking the piss.

The IT estate may not be all they say either - have seen so called "servers" turn out to be a wheezing PC with an end-of-life OS shoved under someone's desk with no data backup in place or anything else relating to business continuity; with ancient software and installation CDs "in a drawer somewhere" and there being no upgrade or support arrangements in place. 

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a so-called network being a daisy chain of routers and port splitters either....
  • OK, job I can definitely do has come up at work.

Annoyingly my manager isn't in today for me to get some advice from.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you know the subject a great deal more attractive.
  • Got my finger's crossed I hear back from one of these jobs this week or next... it's been a month!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There's a perception that working in a vocational environment such as a charity would drive an IT person mad as well.

I can vouch for this. IT is often seen as a hindrance at my place because we're one of the few departments that try to follow actual procedures. Doesn't help that we're underfunded and understaffed so it's difficult to support and deliver new requirements for the whole business.

On a brighter note, I've finally convinced my boss to pay for a diploma course for me so I can work on improving skills and foundational knowledge. It will also give me some leverage when it comes to the next salary review so a double win for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our most problematic depts tend to be the more idealistic ones.

We have had people buy information kiosks for example (I know - old example) and when we asked about what the content was going to be and - you know- connectivity - they stared at us blankly.
  • OK, job I can definitely do has come up at work.

Annoyingly my manager isn't in today for me to get some advice from.

Would you leave your current role for a 6 month contract?
  • Had a great professional disagreement with my boss today. He wanted to know why I hadn't updated my English subject leader log all year. I told him it was because I had decided it was a waste of time and I should use my time to directly impact on learning rather than just writing it down to prove I was doing it, when the evidence of what I was doing readily apparent around the school to be referred to both on display and in books. He then proceeded to question why I hadn't included certain sets of data in the file (I showed him where I had it all saved on our shared drive for easy access) and why certain data wasn't there (it was and he didn't understand that 16-17 was last academic year).

His main complaint was that it wasn't organised in a way that he could easily find what he wanted. I queried why this mattered given that if we were inspected and OFSTED wanted to pick apart what we were doing in English - which they certainly would - that they wouldn't want to take a paper file away in isolation, or even read through it with him, but they would speak to me and I knew where everything was (the only things not in there were 5 button clicks away on my laptop) and to fill it up with medium term planning from across the school was a box ticking waste of time. 

I was going to be applying for a promotion at the school shortly but the man is a full on fucking idiot who is encouraging the absolute shit that is driving people out of the profession.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All of that shite is why I knew that I couldn’t pursue teaching.

That and hating young people, obvs.
  • Hate stuff like that. Luckily I’ve always got away with just not bothering doing it properly. The new management seem a bit more keen on that sort of bollocks though so we’ll see what happens. Are good English teachers as scarce as good maths ones? If so then just ignore it, or do the minimum box-ticking to keep it out of the picture so you can get on with your actual job in peace. It’s no wonder people are leaving the profession in droves.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Our most problematic depts tend to be the more idealistic ones. We have had people buy information kiosks for example (I know - old example) and when we asked about what the content was going to be and - you know- connectivity - they stared at us blankly.

Heh. The technology changes but otherwise I've had that conversation many times.
  • Is anyone available to look at my CV, sort of nowish?
  • I am on my leaving night from my job of 15 years. Everyone fucked of home, only five of us are left.

New job on Monday!
  • Enjoy your night dude.
  • With everything else going on, i forgot to say: got through to the next round of interview with q park. Need to do a PowerPoint presentation on "How to deliver operational excellence and brilliant customer service across a multi-site operation with a lean staffing profile" that lasts ten minutes. Then a regular hour long interview. It's on Wednesday and I've done hee haw to prepare.
  • poprock wrote:
    I am on my leaving night from my job of 15 years. Everyone fucked of home, only five of us are left. New job on Monday!

Woo!
  • Bit pissed now. Not sure how tonight is gonna my. DON’T CARE GETTING FUCKED UP
  • Enjoy Poprock. Remember, poker face on the whole fire thing yeah m8?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!