Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Roujin wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Oh they also asked me why, if I like writing so much, I am not already doing a job involving writing. I think that one I fucked.
    Did you offer them to swap lives IF ITS SO FUCKING EASY YOU STUPID CUNT GIVE ME THE FUCKING JOB? What a fucking stupid, offensive question. You were right to hit him in the nutsack or whatever you did that made you think you fucked it.

I didn't think much at the time because I was kicking myself for answering it badly but it is an off question in retrospect
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    And I know blah blah standardised employment blah blah fucking cunting blah

See this is the problem with the information age. In the past it would have been far to much time and effort for an employer to go into such detail with each and every applicant for a relatively minor staffing position, but now it requires no effort for them to expect a 2 hour dissertation.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    A: Say I am sorry, but I am helping a customer and cannot take over the promotion.

Fuck you, Jon!
  • Ha.

The amount of time it takes to do a job application is something that really gets on my tits. Maybe there are industries where 'firing off a few CVs' is still an option, but mostly it's a case of filling in lengthy, custom application forms, which often even ask you to transfer your CV data into them.

Clearly it happens because it can. It's probably very efficient for employers and allows them to minimise risk (same with these stupidly complex interviews for stupid jobs). But it's all at the cost of passing on the inefficiency and effort to the applicant.

And fuck, it's at another level with academic jobs. The amount of time I've had to take for each of my rejections over the last year is ridiculous. It weeds out the time wasters in advance of course - you don't apply for anything that doesn't really fit your area - but it becomes a job in itself.
  • poprock wrote:
    Our place (current job, where I’m working my notice) blew up today in a different way. Remember the server fire? Turns out the access permissions weren’t set back up properly after new kit was installed. Everyone was able to access everything on the RAID. Some bright spark read all the salary details for everyone at the company. Then shared them around. Today, two senior designers asked for pay rises and resigned when they were told “no way”.

Update: Instead of tackling the root problem of unequal pay, my bosses are currently engaged for around 75% of each working day in a witch hunt to uncover exactly who opened up and shared the pay details, so that they can begin disciplinary procedures against them. Because laying blame anywhere but at their own feet is the number one priority.

Meanwhile, the hurried resetting of server permissions by our IT contractors has left me unable to move or copy/paste any files at all.

I am so glad to be leaving.
  • On your last day, tell them it was you.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Say it was you and hello garden leave :D
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Fuck, that’s twice today.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • On your last day, tell them it was you.
    Say it was you and hello garden leave :D

I could if they were still talking to me …
  • Do you have that Facebook Workplace shite? Post it on there.
  • Never heard of Facebook Workplace. Sounds shite though, right enough.
  • So it’s an Intranet-based Facebook Messenger without the sticker gifs. Got it.
  • Five minutes ago …

Creative Director to Managing Director, handing over a presentation which I designed: “Can you take a look at this?”
    Managing Director: “Did you design this?”
    Creative Director “Yes.”
  • Go up to them and say "Hi poprock, I'm the creative director."
  • Did he do that trick or forgetting the difference between "wrote the half page brief" and "did all the work"?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Did he do that trick or forgetting the difference between "wrote the half page brief" and "did all the work"?

Very close. More accurately, she forgot the difference between ‘wrote the copy’ and ‘did everything else’.

I hope you guys don’t think I’ve put up with all this shit for 15 years. Things used to be a lot better. It’s been a gradual slide and it’s gone right over the cliff in the last 18 months or so.
  • Wait to see if he likes it first.
  • Last couple of pages have been a fun and depressing read. I remember the regional manager of HMV popping down. Weasel of a man who never actually introduced himself to anyone and so I addressed him once as 'alright m8?' not knowing who he was.

Then we had the national managers down once who, although they did take the time to talk to us all individually, were patronising as fuck. Asked what I wanted to do. Film industry. 'Ah, pipe dreams, they're nice to have'. Couldn't fault her really, you're working in a dead end retail job. You don't exactly look like you're going anywhere. Still though, what a prick.

Remembering other annoyances - I was told off for not dressing up for Halloween. Told off by the manager who hadn't dressed up herself. Prick.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our server room move kicks off tomorrow afternoon - we start switching off our redundant firewalls for deracking and moving around 3pm. That kicks off a sequence of events that hopefully concludes satisfactorily mid afternoon of Saturday.

Last weekend we swung our primary internet connection to the new site and are temporarily routing it through the old site this week - so that's one less thing we have to do.

The guys are tense and pretty sick of all the planning and fending off auditors.

Have planned and de-risked this as much as possible. There are still a couple of technical niggles we are working on though.

Will be glad when this is over.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I worked as a chef in the Blackpool Pleasure Beach branch of Pizza Hut for one summer, in my student days. I remember the branch manager freaking out when I dyed my hair green. Breach of uniform policy, he said. The regional manager is due to visit tomorrow, you’re going to get us both fired, he said. 

Utter nonsense, of course. I’d been on the brand awareness training course. And the staff uniform included a fucking hat, so who gives a damn what colour your hair is? On top of which, I was kitchen staff – the public never saw me. 

Anyway, the regional manager arrived and complimented me because his daughter’s hair was dyed the same shade of green.
  • I trust you replied "I know," then winked at him.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Latest dramarama at our place: We now have three people under investigation and threat of instant dismissal. All because one person opened and read a list of staff salaries which should have been locked and wasn’t.

What the management don’t know is that two of those people have already accepted jobs elsewhere.

This ship is sinking.
  • g.man wrote:
    I trust you replied "I know," then winked at him.

I wish I had been that witty at that age.
  • Maybe they should have paid people correctly they and they could have avoided this all. It's a stretch, I know.
  • I said almost exactly that to one of the directors this morning, because I don’t give a flying fuck what they think of me now that I’m outta here real soon.

Actually that’s not strictly true. I figure I’m keeping my integrity by telling it like it is. I’ve no interest in pandering to their egos any more, is the thing.
  • Latest development. This is golden.

Mrs Poprock’s company has just received a CV and job application from one of our Design Directors. One of the two who aren’t company owners and aren’t currently being dicks.
  • Few months back, i went for an interview with a car park company, operations manager for their Glasgow cluster, with occasional support through in Edinburgh. Went well, was told I was going through to the next round with one other person. Then they went quiet, eventually found out they'd went through a restructure, similar to the way cineworld did, and were no longer recruiting. Fair enough.

Week ago, was contacted by the agency that was arranging it all. Turned out, what happened was they removed a layer of management and expanded the responsibilities of the job i had been applying for. Told the then area manager that he had to do it, he viewed it as a demotion, so decided to leave. So I now have another interview with them on Monday. Exact same job as the last time I saw them, just that the role now includes p&l responsibility, and a 2k salary increase (which overall would be about 6k up on what I'm earning now).

The guy who'll be interviewing me apparently wanted to punt me straight through to stage 2, as my first interview was strong enough. But the bird from the agency reckoned it would be better to start again at stage 1, which is what Monday is. Thoughts on that?
  • Sounds like you've got a pretty strong chance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!