Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Worst case scenario that I could envisage is that they may ask you to make up any teaching practice lost from placement 1 at the end of the course. I've been asked to mentor placement students who have had issues in Placement 1 & 2 when their course has ended (June/July in England). 

I know you're probably getting increasingly pissed off with things but it does get better. Unis just seem monumentally useless of providing any semblance of organisation.
  • It's not so much that I am pissed off, more that I feel like I am going headlong into failure and my support network is really hard to figure out. I don't know who to speak to about anything, the course documents don't seem particularly helpful. I don't feel at all ready to be in the classroom really.
  • Just kick in the door and start screaming chapter hymns to the god emporer of mankind. Job done.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Tempy, if all else fails, I'll put you up for a few weeks down here and get you some extra teaching experience. In the meantime, if you want to send me the course booklet, I'm happy to have a look through it if that's of any help.
  • It appears as if I've been paid too much this month. It looks like what should have been my gross pay has been paid into my bank account.

I wish I got paid this amount every month. My life would be so much better.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Applied for a new role at work, Analytics, aka keeping an eye on the call queues, trends, and working out when colleagues can go on email/other codes etc. Its why I've been relatively quiet for a week prepping for all that.

Did the first test Tuesday, 18 questions based on percentages, such as finding 35.47% of a number like 91542. Simple shit, just breaking it down into 10%, 1%, 0.1% and doing math etc.

Got the reply today, no interview. I got all the questions correct but my method in doing so was incorrect, despite it bringing the correct answer. Aka they already knew who was getting it before the test. I know it happens everywhere but its the action thats tipped me over the edge, 18 months of hitting every target, covering certain queues, floor walking, doing manager escalations. Applied for three roles (experience not necessary) - no interviews.

My theory is because my stats are top notch in the current role its easier to keep me there to bump their stats. So looking elsewhere now, fuck 'em.
  • My theory is because my stats are top notch in the current role its easier to keep me there to bump their stats. So looking elsewhere now, fuck 'em.

It could easily be incompetent management on their part, rather than maliciousness. 

Sucks anyway. Take your skills elsewhere, now that you have them honed and ready.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tbf on their part the manager asking for applications for this role, and who'd be doing the interviews, is the one competent manager in there. Genuinely good at his job. Fuck knows, I get more feedback next week which, in that place, seemingly doesn't actually happen going off what colleagues have said.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really dislike metric interviews, but I'll need to come at that from my own job experience because I started as an English teacher. However, I have in my current role interviewed people for full time teaching gigs, and on the panel I can't describe it more than a "feeling" despite how they answer. Once we gave a job to a person who literally had no clue how to answer a specific person because of their proper enthusiasm. They have turned out to be one of the best teachers in their department. So fuck them metrics.
  • Tbf on their part the manager asking for applications for this role, and who'd be doing the interviews, is the one competent manager in there. Genuinely good at his job. Fuck knows, I get more feedback next week which, in that place, seemingly doesn't actually happen going off what colleagues have said.
    You've probably laid waste to all of your managers siblings and loved ones' earthy furrows in the past and it's coming back to haunt you.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Just looking for a quick bit of honest feedback as to whether or not im being a bit of a dick regarding a situation at work.

I definitely have the best fixed rota of all employees at my place of work. The working days are quite long, but to compensate for this we usually only work 4 days per week. Everyone has Sunday off, and two other days. Further, almost everyone has two consecutive days off during any given week. That is- everyone except me and one other person. I am the only person who has three consecutive days off (Saturday, Sunday and Monday), and the new guy, who has Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

I have been asked to give up my Saturday so that the new guy can also have two consecutive days off. I initially said maybe, but actually i really dont want to do this, and i dont think i should have to. My reasoning:

- shop policy has always been that the longest serving employees get first choice of days off. I have worked at this place over 2 years and am the longest serving employee. This other guy has been here a month
    - for the first year of me having this job i didnt have any consecutive days off either. In fact i often worked 6 days a week. It was shit. I feel ive earnt this.
    - the best thing about this job is my days off. It might even be the best thing about my life. I have only had 3 consecutive days off in my rota for around 2 months, but now that i have them id like to keep them.
    - other employees have been asked to swap shifts with each other in the past and have declined, preferring to keep what they have already.

So that's my logic. But im not sure if it's being too clouded by self-interest. Perhaps my judgement is off. Would it be a dick move if i refused to do this?

Of course, there is always the chance they force me to do it. But hopefully it wouldnt come to that.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You’re not being a dick. Guessing the new starter was aware of the days he’d be working so don’t feel too bad.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Given that you could give someone 2 consecutive days off and are choosing not to, when you already have 3, I suppose you're being a dick.  But tbh, I'd probably do the same.  3 days off together is something that not many folk get in a full time job so I'd look to hang on to it.

I suppose it comes down to how it would affect the workplace.  Are you going to get guilt-tripped or will everyone turn against you?  Do you give a shit? 

Besides, can't someone else swap one of their single days off for one of his?  Seems hard to believe that you're the only one who could help.  Might even allow someone else to get 3 consecutive days as well.
  • I wouldn't give it up.
  • Matt 82 has a point about not wanting to be a dick but it seems like management was using the 3 day weekend as a reward for long serving staff so it really falls on them for allowing it (I never Grant that kind of roster to anyone who works for me or whom I am hiring, a better scenario is everyone working equally and rotating the 3 day weekend around but that's not the case here)

Also having those particular 3 days off is obviously a perk so if they want you to give it up there should be some incentive to do so.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Pretty sure there must be a way of starting again with the arrangement so that everyone ends up with at least 2 in a row. 3 should be able to get 3 in a row.
  • This is just the information ive been given by the guy who does the rotas. I know there are some additional limitations of what days people can work based on their other commitments (some people have German lessons, others have childcare responsibilities, and a couple are also in education), so i think that complicates it a bit. 

I would be annoyed if i were in his position. I can relate. I just dont care enough to give up the perks ive accrued. 

I think i have a bit of a reputation for not being cooperative with the other people doing my job. Sometimes this is a fair criticism (i wont cancel my plans without notice when others need cover), but in other ways it's not (im the only one doing my job who wont work 50 hours per week more than once per month). 

Perhaps a compromise would be to give him every other Saturday off. Though I will probably only volunteer this suggestion if it looks like the Saturday will be taken away from me anywya.
  • Maybe say you’ll change in the new year, then if the new guy’s a twat say you’ve changed your mind. If they’re not you might not mind. They also might have left by then.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Can you swap your Saturday for his Tuesday, and still have 3 consecutive days?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Friday night, plus Saturday is likely busier
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • What do you do there 'code?
  • Funny old business this learning to teach. Been out of the house now for about 13 hours. I am surprised i’m still standing. 6 week block next. The school seems outstanding.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That job I got rejected from, all people who applied got the same email. It's going to someone who didn't even apply lol
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Funny old business this learning to teach. Been out of the house now for about 13 hours. I am surprised i’m still standing. 6 week block next. The school seems outstanding.
    My life.

That job I got rejected from, all people who applied got the same email. It's going to someone who didn't even apply lol

Fuck that shite.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So this weekend I have to go on a "leadership seminar" which strikes me as incredibly David Brent, but I'm off to Stirling to make myself a better manager of people, even though my job is the one job that is a promoted post that does not sit in the chain of command - we don't have bosses above us, and we don't have people below us. That's the nature of the job. I can't wait to see what I get from it but I'll be in seminars until 8pm on Friday and then 9-2 on Saturday. Go me.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Funny old business this learning to teach. Been out of the house now for about 13 hours. I am surprised i’m still standing. 6 week block next. The school seems outstanding.

I’ve never been the napping type but my short placement absolutely destroyed me. Naps most evenings. Worth it though cos now they pay me to have holidays.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Reminds me of when I worked at a Capita call centre for DSGi. Went for an Internal Communications roll and got rejected. In the end it turned out they just had to advertise it by law, and had no intention of ever hiring anyone other than a specific person who was part of the clique management spent time with.
  • I'm captain of the Olympic Napping Team. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!