Work - The pros and the cons...
  • You're definitely wrong on this one fella. The legal ramifications of HAVING to advertise all posts externally would be immense and would pretty much grind any reasonably-sized company to a complete halt. They'd spend all their time interviewing and fielding applications.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Jaco wrote:
    It's only discrimination if you don't offer something to someone who has an equal right to receive it. If you're outside a company, you have no equal right to receive internal job offers from them, therefore it cannot be discrimination. It's like saying I'm discriminating against everyone in my street because I only offer my wife a cup of tea. EDIT: Of course, if a job was posted internally but only open to applications from a certain department, that could be discrimination. Like if I had two mates round to visit and I only offered one of them a cuppa. Being a part of something (i.e. a workplace) gives you a reasonable expectation of fair and equitable treatment. You can't expect fair and equitable treatment from something you're not a part of or have no stake in.

Exactly
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I didn't see the edit, and am likely wrong, but logically if you accept that restricting to one department is inequitable then surely it follows that restricting to one company is qlso inequitable
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You're missing the point. The departments are PART of that company. Therefore invested in it, and with a right to move about internally. If you work for, say, LIDL as a Store Manager and ASDA decide to promote one of their Asst. Managers to full Store Manager, you have not been discriminated against because you have no stake in ASDA, you are not invested in it in any way and therefore have no right to know anything of their internal movements. Basically, you never had a dog in that particular fight.
  • Cockbeard's confusion is confusing.
  • Yes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What if they only accept applicants with a degree? Discrimination.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What if they only accept applicants with a degree? Discrimination.

To be honest almost everything I apply for says they want a degree, I have none, still get work. So yes discrimination as time served and proven industry knowledge expertise is equivalent
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • What if they only accept applicants with a degree? Discrimination.

Not necessarily. Perhaps the job requires a degree (or some other technical qualification) to be able to carry it out. (For example, a trademan cannot work on-site without a CSCS card).

On the other hand, if they asking for a degreee when the job doesn't require it, then yes it's discrimination because they're using a meaningless and arbitrary qualification as a filtering mechanism in the recruitment process. Big problem in my industry that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    You're missing the point. The departments are PART of that company. Therefore invested in it, and with a right to move about internally. If you work for, say, LIDL as a Store Manager and ASDA decide to promote one of their Asst. Managers to full Store Manager, you have not been discriminated against because you have no stake in ASDA, you are not invested in it in any way and therefore have no right to know anything of their internal movements. Basically, you never had a dog in that particular fight.

So let me reverse my point, if you work in Ops you have no dog in the 'IT Vacancy' fight (I like the turn of phrase as well it's one I've found myself using a lot this year) therefore why should ASDA advertise it outside that department

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In other news, media sucks, and I'm pretty certain I'm back in the education sector after about 4 years out. Just waiting on confirmation but you know when an interview has been good and this one was fantastic
  • cockbeard wrote:
    You're missing the point. The departments are PART of that company. Therefore invested in it, and with a right to move about internally. If you work for, say, LIDL as a Store Manager and ASDA decide to promote one of their Asst. Managers to full Store Manager, you have not been discriminated against because you have no stake in ASDA, you are not invested in it in any way and therefore have no right to know anything of their internal movements. Basically, you never had a dog in that particular fight.
    So let me reverse my point, if you work in Ops you have no dog in the 'IT Vacancy' fight (I like the turn of phrase as well it's one I've found myself using a lot this year) therefore why should ASDA advertise it outside that department

Because people in an organisation have the right to move sideways / up / down / whatever if they want. And it's in any company's interests (and the individual's) to progree people internally, up-skilling and utilising resource as much as possible.

Trust me on this – I've been the lead designer for an employee engagement consultancy for the last 4 years. This stuff gets rammed into us in briefings.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I do trust you, like I said I'm probably wrong I just can't see any logical fallacy in what I've said. I would much rather promote from within if the shower exists or I have the time to train someone up, but I'd worry that by not advertising externally I've not done enough to be seen to be not discriminating against non employees. I mean internal only vacancies or only a short step from straight up nepotism
  • Not really. Sometimes it’s a cultural/practical thing. Let’s say an organisation needs a new team leader. What makes more sense, to hire an outsider and spend months getting them up to speed with process etc., and risk alienating the team; or promote someone who is already a cultural fit and knows the internal processes from within the team? It’s kind of a no-brainer. Unless you’re looking to clean house or change direction of course.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I do trust you, like I said I'm probably wrong I just can't see any logical fallacy in what I've said. I would much rather promote from within if the shower exists or I have the time to train someone up, but I'd worry that by not advertising externally I've not done enough to be seen to be not discriminating against non employees. I mean internal only vacancies or only a short step from straight up nepotism

Surely it makes no sense to waste time advertising a job if you already have a solid candidate in mind from within? That would seem a little cruel to someone looking for a job?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Had a fun time today in my Placement Learning class.

There are students worried they'll have to joint teach next week, and some students are worried that the one week of observation they were able to do (cos of school holidays) hasn't prepared them enough for joint teaching, or solo teaching by the end of the week. Others are struggling to plan lessons based on the Module resources they have been given for the texts the schools have decided to teach their students.

In comparison, I have had 2 days of observation this week, have had to pick a text to teach, and plan what I want to do for the entire 6 week 30 period semester with a high perofrming S3 class which I am going to start teaching on Monday afternoon (lets not talk about the S1 class I am teaching on Tuesday afternoon... or the joint teaching classes)

Our first PGDE lesson on Medium Term planning/Module Planning is tomorrow.

giphy.gif
  • Hierarchy plays into this too. You'll rarely see an entry level job advertised internally only - what's the point in doing that, unless you're convinced you'll attract enough interest in a sideways move?

I promoted from within for one of my manager roles (my choice), but when my job went up this week, it was only put up externally. The main reason for this is that I didn't believe that there was a natural successor internally and opening the opportunity out should give me a better pool of candidates.
  • Entry level jobs in my work require a degree but promotion from there only requires a leaving cert (A levels? Exam at the end of secondary school).
    And when I say requires a degree,I mean in the sense of having completed one, whatever the subject!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    14 hour day at work today back ending onto a "leadership retreat that will take place Saturday and Sunday.. I need my own life.
  • Take it literally and retreat from leadership. When someone asks why you didn't attend, explain the misunderstanding.
  • Haha, nice idea Syph.

Yeah Reg, you're an English teacher so you can definitely make that argument. The syntax of the sentence certainly lends itself to that. "Well it said that leadership was to retreat on Saturday and Sunday – so I tactically retreated to the pub."
  • I've done a few of those things over the last couple of years reg.  Usually worth it despite all the faff, even though they tend to take 4 hours to give you 30mins worth of content.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I did some well good leadership today. Well good. And then the CEO turned up and was all like -'Tigro u am so best at teaching poemtry how you get 9 year olds to write so classily ?'

I didn't tell her. Trade secrets.
  • You got them to plagiarise something so you'd look all boss, right? I know I would.

This could be why I'm not a teacher.
  • Plagiarism is half of teaching!
  • So you're saying I'd make an amazing teacher.

*internet high-five*
  • Had a shit day at work. I said a few pages back i was thinking of going for my managers job as hes job up the chain into his bosses job.
    Well for my application form i need some words from my manager on my suitably for promotion.

What came back from him was tantamount to a character assassination on my character and professionalism. I was fuming. it read like i was barely capable if doing my own job nevermind his. I showed it to a colleague who couldn't believe what he read.

Luckily it was towards the end of the day and i didnt see him before i left the office, otherwise i might of been fired for saying what was on my mind.

Anyhow, no one internal will apply for it, they'll have to go to market. I'm tempted to continue tge application and just do the interview. its a 3 person panel and he's on it, so zero chance of getting the job, but what the hell.

I'm still weighing up whether to raise a HR complaint as hes purposely trying to torpedo ny application. Luckily for me a few other internal teams have said they'd take me onboard in a heartbeat if im interested.

• Sorry Dino, that sounds so shitty. What a bellend. Nothing worse than working hard being proud of it, and getting that kind of treatment in return.

If nothing else, I’m guessing no one takes the arsehole seriously anyway. I used to get annoyed by some of the higher ups at work for comments made etc, but whenever I would finally vent to someone it would be the usual “oh yeah that persons a well-known dickhead, nobody likes them and they’re comments are ignored by the rest of senior management anyway”.
  • Jeez Dino. Sorry to hear that. What a muppet that guy is! If you love the job, I’d transfer to another department if you can. A HR complaint can get nasty quickly, unless you really want to go for his job.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!