regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I was on placement, it was Monday through Friday, and I was working in a bar Saturday and Sunday (see my incredible maroon room mental breakdown)

I became king of napping in the keg room because no one checked it
  • We’ve been on a hiring spree lately but our directors are incapable of making a plan and sticking to it, so after advertising for a senior designer and an experienced account manager, we have internally promoted an account manager to studio manager and hired one junior designer, one ex-newspaper photo editor, and one account manager with an advertising instead of design background. Oh, and seven interns, the first of which turned up today.
  • Similar, the senior management in head office decided they wanted to hire either a junior, or a senior coordinator, or some kind of VR/AR tech. 

None of these roles are similar so what the fuck are they doing looking for one out of the three and the best part is because head office is in the middle of buttfuck nowhere they can't get applicants, particularly the VR tech so they're interviewing them in London, except the two guys they would work for are up near brum and the dumdums decided not to check with me if we have the desk space or spare machines in our office so if they do hire some new person for the office they have nowhere to sit and nothing to work on. 

They truly are the kings of not letting me into their shitty little management clique well fuck them cos we have our own in office dank memes, our own ad-hoc badass employee of the month meaningless joke award with shitty trophy and we all dress better than them and don't talk shit about each other as soon as anyone's back is turned and we also have our own branded mugs, oh and we have a fucking tassimo for some reason, bitchass head office wankers.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I’ve recently persuaded our guys to buy us a proper coffee machine. Probably not gonna go full barista spec this time, but at the very least a bean-to-cup machine that won’t break down every few weeks like the piece of shit domestic Nespresso thing we have now.
  • One of Britain's leading servicing companies is actually based in Govan. Been using them for years.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    During trimester I nap furiously, no choice really
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • WorKid wrote:
    Who's gonna service it?

I know a guy.*

* Who actually runs a coffee machine servicing and installation company.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Poppo is as Poppo does.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That job I got rejected from, all people who applied got the same email. It's going to someone who didn't even apply lol

Well surely that only means it's going to someone that you didn't know had applied. Companies do advertise externally, and they might have had a better external applicant. After all someone who'd done a similar job before elsewhere might be a better fit than someone applying from below with no experience of that role, just worth thinking about is all
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    We’ve been on a hiring spree lately but our directors are incapable of making a plan and sticking to it, so after advertising for a senior designer and an experienced account manager, we have internally promoted an account manager to studio manager and hired one junior designer, one ex-newspaper photo editor, and one account manager with an advertising instead of design background. Oh, and seven interns, the first of which turned up today.

Sounds like cheap, hope it goes well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yaas Rouj, enjoyed that
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But hey, the schools firm said they want to speak to me, already had a decent connection with the hiring bloke, an old friend has worked there for years and invited me to apply for lesser roles in the past. Just intrigued as to how the face to face goes, but I generally do better in person than over media so I'm not disheartened, though the same agency want me apply for other better paying jobs, I'm happy to apply but concentrate on the one I think I want
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    That job I got rejected from, all people who applied got the same email. It's going to someone who didn't even apply lol
    Well surely that only means it's going to someone that you didn't know had applied. Companies do advertise externally, and they might have had a better external applicant. After all someone who'd done a similar job before elsewhere might be a better fit than someone applying from below with no experience of that role, just worth thinking about is all

It wasn't advertised externally.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It must have been, it's a legal requirement. If it wasn't advertised externally then it wasn't a vacancy, which explains why no-one got the job, there was no job, they just decided to disrupt a lot of people's days by interviewing them for something that doesn't exist
  • Is it not the other way around - a job vacancy must be advertised internally if it is being advertised externally? Fairly certain you have to allow current employees the ability to apply for a vacant role even if you would rather they didn't.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As far as I'm aware there's no legal requirement to advertise externally or internally. I don't know where that stems form cocko. Can't find shit online saying its illegal to just advertise internally.

Half the roles in the company are only offered internally as they want experience due to the nature of the roles (inherent knowledge of the system, processes and the company's own internal workings).

They have currently got two roles out of four advertised externally however.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Is it not the other way around - a job vacancy must be advertised internally if it is being advertised externally? Fairly certain you have to allow current employees the ability to apply for a vacant role even if you would rather they didn't.

Was always under the impression that (in the UK at least) it worked both ways. However if a vacancy is advertised externally then there's nothing stopping internal applicants from finding the role and applying, however if it's advertised internally only then no-one outside can find it to apply for it so legislation need only work in the one direction. So if legislation exists it would be in the direction I described not the other

eg if you work for me and didn't see that I advertised a vacancy on google, you obviously didn't want the position enough to have been looking for it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a few questions regarding it online and the general consensus is its up to the company but that advertising externally, and internally benefits them due to wider breadth.
  • We frequently have internal only vacancies.
  • My understanding is that any new vacancy has to be advertised - Whether it is internal or external is at the discretion of the employer.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think public sector maybe has different rules?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I think public sector maybe has different rules?

Nope (from the public sector). There are no rules, only company practice.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    OK, given the amount of folk taking about vacancies it must not illegal to not advertise externally, but the employer opens then up to a world of discrimination based pain by not doing so. By only advertising internally or by not advertising they have at the very first step of the process discriminated against applicants not within the company or against applicants they haven't invited to apply
  • You can't claim discrimination if a company chooses not to advertise a role outside of its 4 walls. That's the company's choice and it's their right. Imagine if a company made a custom product for its employees only (Microsoft did this for the Xbox One) - was it discrimination that they didn't sell it to the wider public?

Some firms have a culture of promoting from within or rewarding/developing existing staff. Conversely, a company may also want to advertise externally (with internal applications welcomed), to bring in new ideas and skills. It tends to be a mix, depending on the role.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Of course you can, it's no different to discriminating based on race, gender, or politics. In fact it's easier to prove as they didn't even accept applications from the group discriminated against. You needn't necessarily hire from that group bit by not having slants you're wife open to a suit, assuming anyone finds out there was a vacancy in the first place
  • Well, it is different, as it’s not discriminatory at all - at least not in the legislative sense.
  • It's only discrimination if you don't offer something to someone who has an equal right to receive it. If you're outside a company, you have no equal right to receive internal job offers from them, therefore it cannot be discrimination. It's like saying I'm discriminating against everyone in my street because I only offer my wife a cup of tea.

EDIT: Of course, if a job was posted internally but only open to applications from a certain department, that could be discrimination. Like if I had two mates round to visit and I only offered one of them a cuppa. Being a part of something (i.e. a workplace) gives you a reasonable expectation of fair and equitable treatment. You can't expect fair and equitable treatment from something you're not a part of or have no stake in.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, I'm unconvinced, and probably wrong

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!