Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's shite. I quite enjoyed it up to the mid series break but it's got real shark jumpy since.
  • Dunno about spoilers but this is a general comment about the series:
    Spoiler:
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It’s just gone too far. Become too silly. Too many ideas at once does not make for accessible or dramatic sci-fi, it makes for a mess of exposition and rushed set pieces.
    Spoiler:
  • It's possible that
    Spoiler:
  • I think my problem with the recent episodes is a simple one – they’ve introduced so many ideas/threads that they’ve had to oversimplify and rush every one of them. It makes for bad dialogue and no emotional resonance. Feels like a shitty Channel 5 reboot instead of a quality HBO drama.
  • Spoiler:
  • I’m invested enough now to want to see it through and know how it ends, but with the drop in quality I’m embarrassed about making the Mrs sit through the rest.
  • I'm still enjoying it, but it definitely isn't prestige drama. I think they've done themselves no favours there because the first couple of episodes at least hinted at that style, at least by slower pacing, despite not actually being great.

The rattling pace and the twists within twists are what I'm enjoying, but they pretty much kill any chance of the themes or relationships working as drama. Birnam and Tyler adds colour to his story, but it's done far too fast to have any emotional heft. There might have been something in there about the Klingons being rightly worried that their civilisation is away to be dramatically altered by the Federation, but it's blink and you miss it.

Basically, it is a CW drama, and not a bad one.
  • I don't feel like the mirror universe and what it contains is adding to much for me, it's the same as it's always been in Trek, but it's not even as interesting here because the characters have had no time to bed in. They're not constructed well enough to make these kind of philosophy 101 ideas work, unlike Sisqo or Kira. Instead we've got "make the goofy one appear scary" instead of "force Sisqo to lean into the worst parts of himself that we've spend 20+ episodes constructing".
  • I don't think the leads are interesting at all. <OOOhhh how hashtag totally edgy> "Michael" just grates a little too much for me. She is just waay oveacting. I thought she was great in TWD but here meh...and yeah her overacting is amplfied by Clem Fandango's vacancy.
    For me Lorca,Albino Engineer and Sarru are by far the most interesting. Totally agree the whole thing is too rushed and trying to cram  too many ideas in there.

There have been hints of what the show could be though,they do a decent job of making space look epic, especially in the early episodes and some of the planetary environments look great.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you want something more Trek than this you could do worse than watch The Orville. I’m not a massive McFarlane fan but I’m enjoying it and it definitely has more of a Trek/Galaxy Quest feel to it.
  • For me it doesn't know what it wants to be. On the one hand it wants to be a typical McFarlane knockabout comedy, on the other it actually tries to be Star Trek. It doesn't work but I've kind of enjoyed them.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek:

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Latest episode. Well hello interesting. Plodding along half watching then...
    Spoiler:
  • Yeh, enjoyed it too.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm saving the rest for a binge run.
  • It was a bit much for me this week. That ship interior was even more dreary than the Klingon designs and they rushed towards another couple of big bits of plot.

The plot is fun, but they've gone through it far too fast, scattering all this stuff through twice as many episodes would have worked far better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You know what? After JJ changed TV with Lost and made everything

Slow

D o w n

It’s kind of nice to have a show that just rattles along. Willing to throw out some stuff to keep us entertained.

I think of all the filler shite in Westworld and GoT and this is just refreshing. Pure Trek it may not be but as some entertainment I think it’s doing well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JJ slowed it down with Lost? I didn't see all of it, but what I did see of Lost it threw out loads of shite every episode. Complete nonsense of a show, polar bears in the jungle, black smoke etc.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think they've made a mistake this half-season of having everything be serialised, compared to the first half where there were recognisable episodic stories. Carrying on the Klingon war arc in the mirror universe feels a bit weird and unsatisfactory, like it's acting to the detriment of both arcs. Might have been better to have the Discovery crew have some standalone C-plot japes instead of ramming a pretty major storyline into that time.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I was surprised how quickly they realised they were in a parallel universe and how accepting everyone was of the concept. It was like how Buffy the vampire slayer treated robots only not actually played for laughs.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Tell you what, this is probably the best sci fi show since, I dunno, Farscape. Lacks humour is all, but who knows. We might even get a skit about
    Spoiler:
    soon.
  • I mean, this show tonally shits all over the new Disney star wars stuff. How shameful
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JJ slowed it down with Lost? I didn't see all of it, but what I did see of Lost it threw out loads of shite every episode. Complete nonsense of a show, polar bears in the jungle, black smoke etc.

Are you kidding me? He dragged shit out so much. Series after series the odd little bit of info here and there. I’m not saying I didn’t like it but it certainly sparked the longer slower tv arc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I only watched the first series and half of the second, once I realised he didn't have the first clue where it was going and seemed to be winging it I bailed. He managed to throw so much crap at it in that time though.

I'm amazed that you give that rubbish credit for sparking long slow arcs in TV when it was clear he was treading water with it and stuff like The Sopranos had already happened.
  • I'd say Lost and Heroes brought plate spinning to the table rather than long slow arcs. It's all early in the days of actual story arcs rather than a reset after every episode. It's almost more of a business decision from network executives than a creative leap anyway. Writers knew how to do that stuff, soaps did it all the time, they just weren't allowed to do it because it would mess up ratings and syndication.
  • Really like this. Any the plot twist on latest episode O.M.G
    Interesting to see where it goes from here.

Btw, anyone notice the subtle difference in the opening credits sequence? Numbers in backgrounds for jump points and spores possibly outside the ship?!?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    A lot of the twists so far have been quite predictable, but they’ve delivered them very well. Hoping they can pull some real surprises in the last few episodes.

As others have said, so glad they’ve moved away from old Trek tv series format and tried something new.
    Things can only get better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought...
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!