Ask the Bear & Badger
  • JonB wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    What is the line then? Spitting? Punching? Murder?
    We're not talking about actually spitting, we're talking about someone asking about it, presumably half-jokingly. So I'm not sure where the line is there. Asking 'did you murder him' could work just as well (as long as it's clearly a joke).

Bit of a shit joke isn't it?
    The left really need to grow the fuck up if we are to have a different gov in the future.
  • Like I said, this was the straw that broke the back, there's been quite an aggressive and confrontational strain of language used and this one pushed me over the edge. I don't think it's helpful.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Bit of a shit joke isn't it?
    The quality of the joke is irrelevant.

LivDiv wrote:
    The left really need to grow the fuck up if we are to have a different gov in the future.
    Now you’re taking one person’s joke as a barometer for the maturity of the whole of the left.

You’re being unreasonable.
  • I disagree.
    I'll spit in your face.
    Spoiler:
  • I like how I'm unreasonable because I think joking about spitting on people is counter-productive.

Fucking hell.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    teabagging the corpse

Setting him on fire then not spitting on him.
  • Obviously, I don't know this specific situation. But generally people are pissed off, rightly so, and it's not surprising if that turns into a bit of venting. Plenty of us say mean things about the Tories round here. Should we stop to avoid offending any Tory voting badgers that might be around? The party in power right now is very right-wing, full of racists, disaster capitalists and just general cunts. I'm not going to extend that to everyone who voted for them, because people did so for different reasons. But I'm not going to be polite about Tory MPs in case of upsetting them either.
    LivDiv wrote:
    What is the line then? Spitting? Punching? Murder?
    We're not talking about actually spitting, we're talking about someone asking about it, presumably half-jokingly. So I'm not sure where the line is there. Asking 'did you murder him' could work just as well (as long as it's clearly a joke).
    Bit of a shit joke isn't it? The left really need to grow the fuck up if we are to have a different gov in the future.
    People make shit jokes all the time. Probably more often after a big defeat when they feel they don't have anything else. It doesn't mean 'the left' is going to try and win back power with shit jokes.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I like how I'm unreasonable because I think joking about spitting on people is counter-productive.

Fucking hell.

You’re being unreasonable for framing it as the only input the left have in the discourse.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Here's a thought: if Boris and Tories were serious about post-Brexit UK investment and trade potential, there'd be £B investments in renewable and alternative sources of energy, including nuclear.

There'd be £B investments in training, education, proper apprenticeships (ie: actually paying apprentices), technical centres of excellence, engineering centres of excellence.

We're getting some infrastructure, but it looks horribly over priced and is (imo) massively underdelivering - a slightly faster line between Brum and London doesn't seem like a great deal?

Instead of all this, instead of joined-up thinking and a roadmap for post-Brexit Britain and what we can do to compete and excel in a global marketplace, we get a consultancy on a literally impossible bridge between soon-to-be-independent Scotland and soon-to-be-unified Ireland and deportation of workforce.

Sorry this was a couple of pages back but just on the HS2 thing, it’s actually a pretty good idea on paper. If it ends up completed and running the whole length of the country, it’ll take a huge amount of the long-haul routes. The fast intercity trains need a huge amount of space ahead of them if you’re planning on running slower, regional services. Take them off existing lines and you free up capacity to run way more local services. The thing HS2 has needed is someone very senior, like a PM, making the case for it. Cameron was a spineless piece of shit so he never did it. May probably had bigger fish to fry to waste political capital on it. So on this one thing I think Johnson is doing the right thing.

Whether the private companies think it’s worth their time running more local routes is another matter.
  • Anyway I came in here on the off chance that anyone wants to sell a decent-sized PS Vita memory card, or knows where they can be picked up cheap. Those things are exorbitant. It’s like £1 per GB which is insane. My 8GB one isn’t big enough.
  • How does a self charging hybrid work? Petrol?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think the electricity is generated via a kinect energy recovery system rather than petrol generation directly.
  • Something is telling me that self charging hybrids are a bit of a con. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere...it's not really an actual thing that can be achieved or something
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • They are a real thing. They use energy recovered from braking. You won't get far on them with no petrol though, because the batteries are small in comparison to one charged externally.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If they are "mild hybrids" then I think the electric motor is simply there to provide a boost during hard acceleration. It means the cars can have a smaller engine but similar performance to non hybrids, but with slightly increased mpg.
  • So is it more that the focus needs to be on external charging tech rather than this type of thing?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    These are an interim measure by manufacturers to avoid falling foul of clean air legislation. They are absolutely not the future, just the right now.
  • They're actually quite useful in city driving where you are stopping and starting constantly, and never get particuarly high speeds.

But for things like motorway travel, yeah if you're cutting down petrol use, a battery that can be charged quickly and run for a long time is needed, because it doesnt get the chance to charge itself up.
  • A plug-in hybrid will usually give you around 20-30 miles on electric alone. So it's for short commutes, which make up the majority of most driving activity. For that alone, they're a great idea, but they get poo-pooed a lot cos 30 miles of range sounds shit.

Then for the motorway / long drives you have the fuel.
  • The good thing is on those short journeys they aren't pumping shite into the air of built up areas.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    There are a few things the original incident could be seen as, but please stop saying it's a joke, a joke is a wonderful thing and deserves a lot more respect than that

a joke in poor taste - well not really as there was no joke, there was no setup, no journey, no payoff
    throwaway comment - this belies a deeper anger that crosses into violence

incitement to hatred - well it was asking whether someone had performed an action, thereby giving legitimacy to that action
    threat of violence - could easily be seen as such

I have to be honest if I walked around Westminster making "jokes" about planting IEDs there I'm not sure that difference between "doing a thing" and "joking about doing a thing" would do me much good. Even if I actually went to the effort of constructing real jokes about that situation as opposed to absent mindedly describing a fantasy, which is what the water cooler person did this morning
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Anyway I came in here on the off chance that anyone wants to sell a decent-sized PS Vita memory card, or knows where they can be picked up cheap. Those things are exorbitant. It’s like £1 per GB which is insane. My 8GB one isn’t big enough.

Aren't there adaptors available yet, I'd have thought the after market would have done that ages ago. But like an adaptor that makes an SD card work in a CF slot, or a nano sim in a big sim phone
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A quick google suggests yes and they’re dirt cheap. Looks like it’s some unit that goes into the disk drive. I’ll do some digging. Nice one cheers.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Exactly

Yeah, seems like an ok idea despite my incredulity. I suppose it depends on how efficient they are to distinguish from gimmick. And the price.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Do we still have an updated Edge review database anywhere? I've missed a stack of reviews in the last few years. I don't even know if they reviewed Outer Wilds but I'd love to read the review...
  • Do we still have an updated Edge review database anywhere? I've missed a stack of reviews in the last few years. I don't even know if they reviewed Outer Wilds but I'd love to read the review...

Dunno about the database but it was their goty so I’m guessing they liked it.

• monkey wrote:
    A quick google suggests yes and they’re dirt cheap. Looks like it’s some unit that goes into the disk drive. I’ll do some digging. Nice one cheers.

They’re cheap, but I think they are only compatible up to a certain firmware level, so if you’ve kept your Vita, I don’t think they work.
  • You can downgrade firmware for the Vita if you hack it. I only picked it up recently as an emulation machine. My old PSP 1000 has finally had it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does anyone have a fix for when uploading an image to imgur keeps seeming to fail?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!