Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    At what point does a sauce become a gravy??
    When it incorporates juices from the meat.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Is there a difference between a gravy and a jus?
  • Jus is reduced, gravy is thickened with flour or corn starch.

So if starting with the same base I guess a jus would be stronger and you would end up with less of it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @reg Bone Daddies, as well as being a description of half is lot, did me a mighty fine ramen tonight, just off Wardour Street. Good music to boot. Get in there if you can.
  • Is there a good site for business news that is free without having to do cookie shenanigans to reset trials?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Is there a difference between a gravy and a jus?

Intriguing
    LivDiv wrote:
    Jus is reduced, gravy is thickened with flour or corn starch. So if starting with the same base I guess a jus would be stronger and you would end up with less of it.

Hmm so this was basically meat juice, thickened with pasta water, then a few flavours added. Flavour priority still meat though, so probably a gravy by that starch logic
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd argue the critical element in your case is the reduction/thickening question, considering its unorthodox nature. Did it reach its consistency mainly through reduction, in which case it is a jus/sauce, or via thickening, in which case it is a gravy. Only you know the truth Cocko.
  • Gravy is the nectar of right-thinking people, the true patriots, the forgotten people of the north, Rangers fans and one-nation conservatives.

A Jus is the snobby drool of the metropolitan liberal elite.
  • Anybody can make a sauce. Even the French can manage a jus. But gravy is an art form.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    @reg Bone Daddies, as well as being a description of half is lot, did me a mighty fine ramen tonight, just off Wardour Street. Good music to boot. Get in there if you can.

That authentic Australian ramen :)

(It is nice, tbf)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Starch in the pasta water helps fats emulsify (can't go deeper sorry, it's witchcraft) frying the veg in some lard and setting the that aside, then adding the rendered meat juices, and swazzing the lot with pasta water. Meat juice thickened with a starch, so gravy I reckon
  • Aibu for complaining to someone for saying / joking about spitting on Tories if you see them? I'm not a Tory voter at all but found a) that to be offensive to people who do vote Tory and b) an example of the kind of divisive rhetoric that's not helping current politics at all.

Apparently me saying aggressive rhetoric re. Tories is unhelpful is me saying we should compromise with the Tories, which isn't what I'm saying.

Aibu?
  • It's not compromising with them, but it is an incredible display of willpower.
  • I agree with you Nick.
    Entrenchment is a real issue in the UK currently, spitting on or suggesting spitting on voters of other parties or viewpoints isnt going to bring anyone round.
  • For full context, someone saw a Tory mp on public transport, someone else asked did you spit on them. Probably wasn't worth me kicking off over, but it was the final straw in a general undercurrent of aggressive tone towards opposition that I felt needed calling out. Apparently that was me saying we should compromise with Tories, which wasn't what I was saying at all. We've kissed and made up now though.

Moot, you can also have AITA?
  • Actual lol, another good one.
  • It's better to ask them if they care about how many people austerity killed anyway.
  • I didn't let an older woman sit down on the tram yesterday as she was reading the Spectator AITA?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • nick_md wrote:
    For full context, someone saw a Tory mp on public transport, someone else asked did you spit on them. Probably wasn't worth me kicking off over, but it was the final straw in a general undercurrent of aggressive tone towards opposition that I felt needed calling out. Apparently that was me saying we should compromise with Tories, which wasn't what I was saying at all. We've kissed and made up now though.
    As a joke, it seems harmless enough. Besides, Tory policies have ruined many many people's lives over the last decade so you might understand that some might find the politicians behind them intolerable. Nor would I care much about offending people who voted Tory, given that they've enabled these policies that will cause people to die, go hungry, become homeless etc. So yeah, I think you might've picked the wrong battle there.
  • What is the line then?
    Spitting?
    Punching?
    Murder?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    teabagging the corpse
  • I mean, if you really want a Tory government forever a good way of going about it is assaulting their MPs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I genuinely fear that I may have inadvertently started this whole problem
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What is the line then? Spitting? Punching? Murder?

My take is that it really depends on the individuals. The reality seems to be that most people are not engaged with politics, and may vote one way or another simply out of tradition, or because they've some beliefs (ie: crazy communists, benefits frauds, uncontrolled immigration stressing out schools / hospitals etc) which are "instinctively" correct to them without really examining them (there's a huge amount of "common sense" advocates amongst us). They're not bad people, they're at best not bothered about the whole thing or have lost faith in the ability of politicians to actively benefit their lives or anyone else's; or at worst they are a bit naive and ignorant and can't be bothered to challenge their views.

This doesn't warrant spitting or violence or anything else. I acknowledge that trying to persuade them of different causes for misery is a tough ask but better convert one of them, than commit a thousand of them to the view that lefties are all crazy children.

On the other hand, if we're talking about actual tory MPs, who have supported Johnson, or have dreadful voting records - milkshake away. they're cunts and they know they are.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What is the line then?
    Spitting?
    Punching?
    Murder?

There’s a difference between joking about doing a thing and doing a thing, though. It depends on the audience. If there’s no risk that anyone participating in the conversation is going to think that it’s an endorsement of that sort of behaviour, then it’s fine.

Your colleague’s reaction to your objection is part of the problem with all discourse, where people can’t see nuance in emotive topics, but I don’t necessarily agree with your initial objection, either.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What is the line then? Spitting? Punching? Murder?
    We're not talking about actually spitting, we're talking about someone asking about it, presumably half-jokingly.

So I'm not sure where the line is there. Asking 'did you murder him' could work just as well (as long as it's clearly a joke).
  • I can certainly understand the desire to spit on a Tory MP but it achieves nothing, less than nothing actually.
    It shuts down conversation which is exactly what they want because conversation reveals their inane and cruel policies.

Plus if the press find out they will turn it on all left wing voters.

It is a stupid thing to do as it is counter productive but I am also wary of who is being encouraged by it. These fucking nutters who kill people thrive on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!