Ask the Bear & Badger
  • I suppose it might even be worth a shot at rebuilding the database, or reinitialising the PS4.
  • Gurt, serial no. is 03 27452246 8680485.

I've done all that Dante, sometimes it's the only way to get it up and running again. Also reinstalled firmware from a usb. At one point I thought it was fully dead, but a factory reset in safe mode brought it back from the brink.
  • I had a similar issue with my base PS4 and ended up trading it in at Game for a PS4 slim for £50 or £100 about 2 years ago. My issue was intermittent so I managed to get away with it.

I remember game offering a similar deal to upgrade to a pro at Christmas not sure if it's still on.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Looks like deal isn't on at the moment but was something like this:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/game-trade-in-offer-get-a-ps4-pro-cowmw-for-13999-3313362
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gurt, serial no. is 03 27452246 8680485. I've done all that Dante, sometimes it's the only way to get it up and running again. Also reinstalled firmware from a usb. At one point I thought it was fully dead, but a factory reset it safe mode brought it back from the brink.

Oh sorry I meant a model number, probably begins in "CUH" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_models

Yeah that definitely sounds like a dicky hard drive to me. An SSD such as this one would be a worthwhile purchase, far more reliable and should be much faster, and you can reuse it in a PC or other machine, or use as external storage with a dock once the PS4 has no more use. If you don't need all that much storage you could go for 256GB for cheaper, though that's a little worse GB/£.
  • Yeah, I upgraded my HDD, piece of piss.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any scientists on here, please review my following theoretical vehicle and tell me why it wouldn't work.

Hydrogen can be genorated by passing an electrical current through water, correct?

Hydrogen can be used as a fuel source for an engine.

Solar panels generate electricity.

Why isn't there a hydrogen powered super tanker, that is covered with solar panels, with its own hydrogen generator? It could theoretically keep going without ever needing to refuel couldn't it?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Shit efficiency, no perpetual motion machines

Best panels in the world not yet 25% efficient, even at that you might as well power a motor instead of an engine, as every power conversion in the chain is going to introduce more energy wastage
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cheers for the PS4 advice. The cheaper HD would do me, I wouldn't bother installing half the stuff again. Forgot to check the model number last night. Will take a look at the how-to-fix guide shortly.
  • Hydrogen is pretty explosive so I'm guessing potential for harvesting it from water in an uncontrolled manner to directly power something is risky business.
  • You’d presumably need onboard desalination as well, unless you can crack hydrogen straight from saltwater?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Shit efficiency, no perpetual motion machines Best panels in the world not yet 25% efficient, even at that you might as well power a motor instead of an engine, as every power conversion in the chain is going to introduce more energy wastage

It takes about 150MJ to produce 1kg of Hydrogen, which contains itself about 142MJ of energy. Yes that's in "ideal" conditions, but even at 75+% efficiency it's probably worth doing, if solar panels at ~20% efficiency in enough quantity can produce enough hydrogen to power an engine at ~90% energy. Even if you start to take into account loss of efficiency from local liquefaction or compression and local transport to motor / engine, I reckon you'd still achieve something like 50% efficiency from 20% efficient solar panels which would be enough to power a large engine if you have enough panels and solar energy.

To be clear I doubt you could generate anything like enough power from solar panels to drive a huge tanker engine. but smaller boats sure
  • Eric wrote:
    Hydrogen is pretty explosive so I'm guessing potential for harvesting it from water in an uncontrolled manner to directly power something is risky business.
    poprock wrote:
    You’d presumably need onboard desalination as well, unless you can crack hydrogen straight from saltwater?

Thought these were directed at me for a few seconds. Waiting for the next gen suddenly seemed like the only choice.
  • Let's try it:

The biggest tanker engine requires something like 70MW to drive it.

That means you need roughly 0.5kg of Hydrogen fuel every second to drive the engine.

To produce 0.5kg of H fuel every second, taking into account the efficiency above of about 50% to include liquefaction/compression and local transport on the ship, means you need 1kg of Hydrogen to be generated by whatever process you're using. To achieve that, you need as I said about 150MJ of input, per second (150MW).

To generate 150MW of power from solar, at ~25% efficiency, you need 600MW of solar energy. Typical irradiance energy from the sun on the earth's surface is about 1KW/m2. So you'd need an array of approx. 0.6km2, or an area covering 775m by 775m. Which is quite a lot larger than a 300m x 50m Panamax tanker.

TL;DR? What Cocko said.
  • Nice work Funk!
  • For a pleasure yacht, it could work - the engines aren't on all the time, so if you can store the hydrogen in fuel cells in enough quantity it'd work. There are a few prototypes and concepts hanging around (most recently see the "Bill Gates won't buy a Hydrogen yacht after all" stories).
  • Here's a thought: if Boris and Tories were serious about post-Brexit UK investment and trade potential, there'd be £B investments in renewable and alternative sources of energy, including nuclear.

There'd be £B investments in training, education, proper apprenticeships (ie: actually paying apprentices), technical centres of excellence, engineering centres of excellence.

We're getting some infrastructure, but it looks horribly over priced and is (imo) massively underdelivering - a slightly faster line between Brum and London doesn't seem like a great deal?

Instead of all this, instead of joined-up thinking and a roadmap for post-Brexit Britain and what we can do to compete and excel in a global marketplace, we get a consultancy on a literally impossible bridge between soon-to-be-independent Scotland and soon-to-be-unified Ireland and deportation of workforce.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As an additional point, I was thinking the tanker would have a large hydrogen fule tank that would be topped up in port. The on board generation would be to increase range/reduce refuelling costs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Loved Funk running some numbers, njoyed that

Weirdly I think that ships would be a better candidate for batteries than fuel cells (assuming fuel cells don't render batteries obsolete in next decade). Just being as ports are very specific places so custom power supplies wouldn't be a much marger expense that the existing crane networks used to load/unload. Also ships often spend extended periods in port being maintained, so the charging time is less of an issue than it is for "consumer" vehicles
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I would fancy that for sure.

Hey Reginald @regmcfly - consensus in the office amongst the Asians is this place for dim sum:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Joy+King+Lau/@51.511465,-0.1314639,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487604d273613e39:0xa6de846c868248e1!8m2!3d51.5111113!4d-0.1311111

http://joykinglau.com/

...it is indeed a place I've been to but didn't know the name and/or location precisely. Good quality and reasonably priced.
  • OMD this just in, got a dm from a separate person who said *whisper* they don't rate the above, and recommended these two:

Imperial China - https://www.google.com/search?q=imperial+china+london&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB878GB878&oq=imperial+china+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.2786j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Golden Phoenix - https://www.google.com/search?q=golden+phoenix+london&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB878GB878&oq=golden+ph&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.1926j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They're all in the same location pretty much - I don't know if I'm helping here or muddying the waters.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Loved Funk running some numbers, njoyed that Weirdly I think that ships would be a better candidate for batteries than fuel cells (assuming fuel cells don't render batteries obsolete in next decade). Just being as ports are very specific places so custom power supplies wouldn't be a much marger expense that the existing crane networks used to load/unload. Also ships often spend extended periods in port being maintained, so the charging time is less of an issue than it is for "consumer" vehicles

Was thinking about this earlier. Nuclear, surely? If a sub can do it then so can a tanker
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Would agree, but then I see nuclear as a super dense fuel cell. Personally I think it a great answer to much of our power worries (though it would be nice if we didn't pay the French to build them for us), but left it out of the reasoning above

edit: I think fuel cells will make batteries obsolete at some point in the near future, or at least it will swap usage. Imagining a perfect battery and a perfect fuel cell, the fuel cell is clearly better suited to portable devices and batteries to fixed locations, which is the opposite to how we've worked for the last bloody ages
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Loved Funk running some numbers, njoyed that Weirdly I think that ships would be a better candidate for batteries than fuel cells (assuming fuel cells don't render batteries obsolete in next decade). Just being as ports are very specific places so custom power supplies wouldn't be a much marger expense that the existing crane networks used to load/unload. Also ships often spend extended periods in port being maintained, so the charging time is less of an issue than it is for "consumer" vehicles

Was thinking about this earlier. Nuclear, surely? If a sub can do it then so can a tanker

US aircraft carriers are, so definitely.
  • Are there any non military nuclear powered vehicles?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    [pedant]every vehicle or device or whatever traces it's power back to nuclear fusion within a star[/pedant]

Not since that Delorean, for the same challenges as that Delorean faced
  • Yeah, it's had to be gov backed so far, no-one would insure that shit, even Lloyd's
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    At what point does a sauce become a gravy??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!