The IT'S NOT DANTE thread of DmC: Devil may Cry
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Unskippable intro movs are something introduced this gen that can fuck off.
  • That you can just bypass them is why PCs are so great.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just a shame half the people playing it on PC probably haven't paid for it.

Not on here, obv.
  • Just noticed that the Vergil's Downfall dlc achievements are on Steam already. That seems a bit dodgy, it doesn't even have a release date yet as far as I know.

I did complete this earlier though and quite enjoyed it. The night club was one of the best designed levels I've played, so many really nice ideas in it.
  • I'm just heading to the tower right now, looking forward to the nightclub. The combat is... interesting. It doesn't have the flow or the immense versatility of Bayonetta, instead it opts to make it a bit like a puzzle at times, which I like. It chucks enemies in the mix that require radically different approaches, which means you're darting around like an utter madman to get things to work. The moves have such great feedback though that it never bothers you... I lamented the look of 'stinger' in an old trailer, but coupled with 'a trillion stabs' it's one of the most fun moves in a game, and the pausing between strikes on the combos of Rebellion, Arbiter and Onyx is chuffing brilliant, the glint that the weapons get just as they're ready to switch moves is brilliant. The only thing really missing is Kick13, which is a DMC staple, and is kinda replaced by the angel grab but fuck that, I want to do a dive kick instead. Also like the fact there are 3 dodges, DevilDodge being my favourite at the moment.

I'm also loving how gorgeous it looks

oPjThwc.jpg
  • Frosty wrote:
    Top tip for PC version to get rid of the unskippable intro movies every time you start the game.  Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Config Open DefaultEngine.ini and look for a section called [FullScreenMovie] Change the following lines: +StartupMovies=Capcom +StartupMovies=Ninjatheory +StartupMovies=UE3_logo +StartupMovies=AMDLogo +StartupMovies=Save_360 +StartupMovies=blac to ;+StartupMovies=Capcom ;+StartupMovies=Ninjatheory ;+StartupMovies=UE3_logo ;+StartupMovies=AMDLogo ;+StartupMovies=Save_360 ;+StartupMovies=black Game will now start at the menu.

Wish there was a way to do this with Dark Souls PC.  Those intro logos stay on there forever!
  • You can in DS fix, read the FAQ for it, it involves editing the DSfix value for intro movie from 1 to 0, first thing I did.
  • I tend to do it for all my pc games. Reason I posted that was because they seemed excessively long in this and were irritating the hell out of me.
  • Holy Shit just fought the Raptor News boss in this. One of the best executed ideas for a boss fight I have ever seen.

Just in case you want to see how fucking awesome it is, but don't intend to play it. i'll stick some pictures in spoilers:
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    You can in DS fix, read the FAQ for it, it involves editing the DSfix value for intro movie from 1 to 0, first thing I did.
     Cheers tempy
  • It turns out you can parry in this too, it just keeps getting better!
  • I stopped watching him ages ago. He is dumb. I was playing this on Harder difficulty last night, ho shit. Very tough game. 5 deaths in a level comapred to 5 in the whole game.
  • I don't make a habit of watching him, I mainly watched it to see if he said anything about the reboot.

I sometimes agree with him, but his vids go further for me when i watch them as entertainment and not critical reviews.
  • What did he have to say about it out of interest? Usual overly critical stuff?
  • I started this on Dante must die mode the other night and it was about a thousand times harder than the easy mode that was devil hunter. Going to have to totally relearn how to play it if I'm going to get through it again.

Wish I'd done my first run on nephilm.

Also hoping the harder enemy combinations take the good ideas they had further. Stuff like the moving angel and demon floor in the night club level was great but they didn't really go anywhere with it.
  • He mostly liked it, even though he thought it was a bit easy and the boss battles uninspired gameplay wise. Suprisingly positive for a souless monster who doesnt even like Mario Galaxy.
  • That's refreshing then, I think he's better when he's positive personally.
    Frosty wrote:
    I started this on Dante must die mode the other night and it was about a thousand times harder than the easy mode that was devil hunter. Going to have to totally relearn how to play it if I'm going to get through it again.

Wish I'd done my first run on nephilm.

Also hoping the harder enemy combinations take the good ideas they had further. Stuff like the moving angel and demon floor in the night club level was great but they didn't really go anywhere with it.

I was playing it on Son of Sparda last night (I don't think i've unlocked DMD yet) and as I said, 5 deaths on the second level. I don't think I died 5 times in the entire game of Nephilim. Enemies hit HARD.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's refreshing then, I think he's better when he's positive personally.
    Frosty wrote:
    I started this on Dante must die mode the other night and it was about a thousand times harder than the easy mode that was devil hunter. Going to have to totally relearn how to play it if I'm going to get through it again. Wish I'd done my first run on nephilm. Also hoping the harder enemy combinations take the good ideas they had further. Stuff like the moving angel and demon floor in the night club level was great but they didn't really go anywhere with it.
    I was playing it on Son of Sparda last night (I don't think i've unlocked DMD yet) and as I said, 5 deaths on the second level. I don't think I died 5 times in the entire game of Nephilim. Enemies hit HARD.

Son of Sparda is probably the difficulty I meant. Will definitely need some practice.
  • Chucks a Butcher at you on the first level!
  • Yeah I got to the boss and died about 4 times so gave up and had a nap.
  • Funnily enough I did the boss without getting hit, though he had a new charging attack which nearly caught me out. He didn't even get up on the wheel, I just obliterated him.
  • Completed son of sparda mode today. I definitely enjoy the harder difficulty, as enemy AI picks up a few notches, and fighting a series of 3 tyrants, then a witch and 2 dreamrunners, then a red and blue rage with another witch, just has me in a state of non-blinking hypnosis.

To be honest, id say im pretty confident in how I play these types of games, but i swear I died more in the original devil may cry on default then i did in this mode. I died about 7 times all in all, which isnt even that bad as checkpoints exist here. Not a complaint, as such, just an observation (i also found bayonettas infinite climax mode pretty easy to run through). Was this because the first DMC was sort of the first of it's genre, and over the years weve just practised it all in similar games? Or has the slower pace and the fact most enemies have a 5 second flashing pause before they attack made me think I'm better at this than I actually am?

Might try dante must die mode soon, and heaven and hell sounds like fun (hell and hell mode, however, does not).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Started playing this yesterday after the disaster of Aliens. Wipe the bad taste away Dante.
  • Lovefilm failed to get this to me even though it was the only item on high priority. First time they've ever failed me in almost 2 years of membership. I guess a lot of people had it on their list before me and all their copies had gone? Not that I'm desperate to play it. Got plenty more to be getting on with.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I was the last person to post on this thread all the way back in February? Seriously?!

Anyway. Having finished the utterky useless Heaven and Hell difficulty (it was a joke, should call it a 'easy-ity'), I started it yet again on Dante Must Die. Managed first level without too much trouble. But I think I'll take a break here. (Or not. If I leave it now, may never come back, as with other games.)

Anyone tried Vergil's Downfall? Any good?
  • If I buy the costumes, can I play as DMC 3 Dante from the off?
  • Should be able to. I thought I saw the text under the customisation option say "buy or unlock through play" on Dante, and "buy" under the weapons. I bought the weapons pack as it gave extra stuff: 3 upgrade points, collectibles locator, and 20% extra orbs.
  • Ordered my copy from Blockbuster. Hope to play before next weekend.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I seem to be flying through on Dante Must Die (sod taking a break). On mission 8 at the monent and I only had trouble with Succubus and the train bit on mission 8. Probably wont have time to finish it tonight. Gonna jump straight into Hell and Hell afterwards too and be done with the whole game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!