The pit(figher)s - the worst games ever.
  • I think Altered Beast was the worst reviewed game I had, but as it was the first ever game I played in 16bit on the Megadrive I liked it.

The only game I've ever taken back to the shop was Far Cry 2. Loved the first on the PC, my first real taste of MP. But those fucking respawning check points in 2, grrrr.
  • Oh, maybe Chase Hq on the C64, but mostly because I could never get it to load on the tape deck. Mind you, the one time it ever loaded it was great.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Lazy, what? FF13 was great.
    looking at your top 10, i'm inclined to not trust your taste in games whatsoever. its not that they arent brilliant games, it's just you are, as those annoying folks on dA call, a 'weeaboo'

Lol! You're almost right. I love Japanese stuff, but having looked at an urban dictionary for the definition, it doesn't quite describe me. Japsnophilr would be a better term I imagine. Still, not my fault the Japs have historically made far superior games to the west, even if they are now trying to imitate western crappiness.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Oblivion is crap. Ok bring it.

You're late to the party, dude. I've already mentioned it.
  • I think I must be a Japsnor Weeble or wtf they're called as well, at least for games. Not that obsessed with the land of the rising sun outside of this hobby, but I can count the number of non-Japanese games that I truly love on the fingers of one hand. Somewhat ironically my current favourite (Dark Souls) is the only Japanese game I've ever played that doesn't feel at all Japanese in any way shape or form.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • The only game I've ever taken back to the shop was Far Cry 2. Loved the first on the PC, my first real taste of MP. But those fucking respawning check points in 2, grrrr.

... what?

Because, when you're manning check points in a civil war, if people don't check in and are presumed dead, you do what?  You leave the checkpoint unmanned so "gamers" don't go "omg what is that I completed that checkpoint it's not fair that things are there again?"  Or do you dispatch a new team to take over the checkpoint?  Or when a jeep goes past and reports in that everyone's dead, you maybe ask them to stay?

Reactivating checkpoints was entirely realistic and in keeping with the game's world.
  • I'm getting deja vu here.
  • No offence at all to carbon, the poor misguided soul, and apologies for the angry tone.  But FC2 was one of my favourite games (see the top 10 thread!), and with FC3 on the horizon, I'm genuinely terrified that it'll have been ruined by feedback from "gamers" who wanted it to be GTA: Africa rather than the incredible game it was.
  • The fire was good, I'll give you that.
  • The fire was good, I'll give you that.

IT WAS ALL GOOD
  • While there are games I try but dont get (Oblivion, Skyrim), I think the below list is the worst that I have come across over the past few years...

Devil May Cry 2 (ps2) - It's one thing to be shit (which this is) but it's even worse to be a follow up to one of my favourite ps2 games. I think I finished it in one play through. Says it all really.

Call of Duty 3 (wii) - I may have the number wrong but this was a headache inducing game. Put me off the wii for months. The controls are horrible and the game looks like its running on a psone.

Street Fighter 2 (Amiga) - Saw this mentioned already. It made me cry and my snes owning friend at the time laugh like a bastard. If ever a game showed that consoles where the way forward, this was it. Truly unplayable crap.

South Park Racing (psone) - Not certain I have the name right but certain its a steamer of a game. Truly rubbish from graphics to gameplay.

PES 6 (360) - Really terrible and disheartening. The ps2 is its superior in every way bar resolution. 

Every Raw v Smackdown Game - I know few here like wrestling games but since hitting the current gen, this games have shown that just because you start a single player game doesnt mean that the AI has been engaged. The all stars game felt pretty rubbish too (only played the demo on that)

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (ps2) - In much the same way that DMC2 is horrible, so is this. Took everything that made Sands of time so wonderful and then shit on it. And then set the shit on fire. 

That lot above would be the worst  but I also would back claims for The Darkness and Fable 2. Probably not as bad as the above but still not really enjoyable.
    Thankfully, I dont play much that I dont enjoy. Demos, reviews and a reluctance to spend money has kept disappointment down.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Are these the ten worst games I've played?  Probably not.  They're the first that spring to mind, though, and a few of them would definitely be up (down?) there.

Predator (ZX Spectrum)
    I don't know if this game was ever anything more than being lost in a weird jungle maze.

The Hunt for Red October (GB)
    Oh, Lordy.

Roy of the Rovers (ZX Spectrum)
    Even if you knew exactly where Roy's team-mates were, I don't think there was enough game time to find them all before the match.  I generally had two outfield players and the keeper against the other team.

GTA2 (PS1)
    Took a great game and broke it with shit physics.

Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad (360)
    Looks like a PS2 title, plays like a bad PS1 title.

Dead Island (360)
    From what I've seen, a [3] was generous.

The following will no doubt ruffle a few feathers, but please believe me when I say that I genuinely believe these games stink.  I think they're really, really bad.

LA Noir (360)
    Even if they hadn't fucked up the whole naming of the Truth/Lie/Doubt buttons, the design of the interviews was really, really bad.  It's impossible to successfully complete most interviews first time through, because Phelps actions after you select a course of action are so unpredictable.  The collection of evidence is poorly designed.  The handling of the cars is nightmarish.  It really is a total pig of a game, successful because of some expensive animation.  A turd with so much sprinkles on it, you just see an inviting pile of sprinkles, until you try to eat it.

Goldeneye (N64)
    I cannot fathom the love for this game.  At all.

Journey (PS3)
    Push up to complete.  Devoid of any fun or emotion.

GTA: San Andreas (PS2)
    I never get people who bitched about GTAIV being a list of chores, but think this game is ace.  It was mind-numbing as all fuck, and handled like shit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sanny had the right-analogue camwork of IV with the handling response of Vice. It was Rockstar's prima engine until Red Dead Red.

A couple of Mega Drivers for me in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Alien 3, along with the PC's ToCA: Race Driver and Motorcross Championship on 32X. If anyone's receptive to a bit of Sonic-bashing, I'll happily oblige.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    (Just Sonic 2; the original's in my good books.)
  • GTA2 is better than GTA1

Also speaking of awesome fire in bad games (not FC2 though that's all gravy) Alone in the Dark was terrible. Worst driving ever
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Sonic 2 is good.

WHAT THE FUCK, ESCAPE?
  • I preferred GTA 2 because of the gang stuff.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    A thing intertrons call other intertrons to make them feel better about themselves as they are intertrons.

or a word used to describe a certain type of person, like they call someone who bums japanese culture, a weeaboo

which is quite normal

It's called a joke, love x
  • Elmlea wrote:
    The only game I've ever taken back to the shop was Far Cry 2. Loved the first on the PC, my first real taste of MP. But those fucking respawning check points in 2, grrrr.
    ... what? Because, when you're manning check points in a civil war, if people don't check in and are presumed dead, you do what?  You leave the checkpoint unmanned so "gamers" don't go "omg what is that I completed that checkpoint it's not fair that things are there again?"  Or do you dispatch a new team to take over the checkpoint?  Or when a jeep goes past and reports in that everyone's dead, you maybe ask them to stay? Reactivating checkpoints was entirely realistic and in keeping with the game's world.

It just, as a mechanic, really annoyed me and harmed my enjoyment of the game. Some games just don't connect with certain players, this was a case of that. I probably shouldn't have brought it up in this thread as there is no way it is the worst game ever, but it does just happen to be the only one I felt annoyed enough at the time to take back.
  • R* tried their best to ruin San Andreas with its RPG lite trappings. The setting was great, the world vast, but trying to maintain my Tiny Lister vision of ghetto perfection was a right pain in the shizzle.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I thought the remanning of checkpoints was pushing it in FC2. Fair enough they would repopulate, but when you could level one with the grenade jeep, hightail it half a mile down the road, turn round and come back to what was essentially a reset rather than remanned checkpoint, it became tiresome. Once the novelty wore off, I just dealt with them by tearing through them without stopping.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh. Really enjoyed the game, but they re-spawned way to quickly to be anything but tiresome.
  • @adkm1979 where red dead redemption on that list?
  • Wow, amazing how one person's favourite game can be another's worst. Most interesting.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    My choices mostly come down to basic gameplay/control issues:

Daxter (PSP) Movement was sluggish and frustrating compared to the Jaks.

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP) Trying to emulate FPS controls on PSP is a bad idea.

Halo 1 (PC) I think the game was really designed for a pad, playing it with a mouse was tedious and awkward.

Yoshi's Island DS The weird floaty jump jump thing he does had me constantly almost destroying the jump button.

Also for general disappointment:

Devil May Cry 4 Many things but mostly the absence of the Trickster moves from 3 made it hard for me to enjoy.

God of War II I really enjoyed playing the first one on hard, but for this they nerfed the counter-attack and it just got frustrating.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Also Ninja Gaiden. Kept hearing how it was the great action game ever, then spent the whole game spamming the same move and wondering if I could even be bothered to finish it, and guy's with machine guns should not be allowed in hack'n'slash games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron (GC).
    Was that the one that came out at the GC launch? I rented it and it was utter dogshit - the Hoth section was going quite well until it decided you had to repeat the circling At-Ats thing fuck knows how many times - because remember in the films how that really exciting thing happened and then they repeated it 6 times just to make it really dull? That was followed by a level in space where I got confused, flew about aimlessly and still completed it. Lylat Wars felt more like Star Wars.

Think so yes. Though I ditched it quick enough that I'm not completely sure!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    ... what? Because, when you're manning check points in a civil war, if people don't check in and are presumed dead, you do what?  You leave the checkpoint unmanned so "gamers" don't go "omg what is that I completed that checkpoint it's not fair that things are there again?"  Or do you dispatch a new team to take over the checkpoint?  Or when a jeep goes past and reports in that everyone's dead, you maybe ask them to stay? Reactivating checkpoints was entirely realistic and in keeping with the game's world.

But it's a game, not a simulation, isn't it?! Surely fun is the key, even if it isn't realistic?
  • n0face wrote:
    @adkm1979 where red dead redemption on that list?
    Holy shit.  That's what I get for posting in the wee small hours.  Fuck that game.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    adkm wrote:
    LA Noir (360)
    Even if they hadn't fucked up the whole naming of the Truth/Lie/Doubt buttons, the design of the interviews was really, really bad.  It's impossible to successfully complete most interviews first time through, because Phelps actions after you select a course of action are so unpredictable.  The collection of evidence is poorly designed.  The handling of the cars is nightmarish.  It really is a total pig of a game, successful because of some expensive animation.  A turd with so much sprinkles on it, you just see an inviting pile of sprinkles, until you try to eat it.

Spot on with that. Exactly how I feel about the game. Puts a plaster on the Journey hate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!