The Paleo thread of keeping fit and looking healthy - or the other way around
  • Yes, a lot of people are horribly undereducated about how basic nutrition works and what constitutes a healthy diet.  The path to enlightenment and better health for most though is a pretty short and simple one.  (Eat more fresh fruit and veg, avoid unhealthy snacks, go easy on the beers etc.)  Laziness is a pretty major factor also I think, as a very effective way of ensuring a healthier diet is to cook your own meals, because then not only do you avoid processed foods and unhealthy fast foods more easily but you also know exactly what ingredients are going into everything that you eat.
  • Goddamn it, I said anyone ever done a green poo?
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Having said that - grains and legumes are cheap. They provide legitimate nutrition (in terms of calories) to stop people starving. If the message is propagated (without true evidence) that they are bad for us, how do we replace them?

Put another way: we cannot feed the world, even close, without grains.
  • I wasn't having a go at Dr Wahls by the way, simply drawing an important distinction between effective treatment and cure.  Her findings may well be worth further investigation.
  • @turts - I couldn't suppress a lol upon discovering the existence of greenpoop.org.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    FACT: we should eat better to prevent this. MADE-UP: eating better means not eating gluten.

I see your point.

So, there is a lot of evidence that a few chemicals that make up gluten are really bad for our bodies. Gluten actually causes 80% of the population to have gut inflammation. You know when you eat a bunch of bread and you feel a bit gassy/windy, that's gut inflammation. This is not a nice feeling. 

30% of the population develop antibodies against gluten (and 99% of the population have the potential to develop antibodies over time). Because gluten proteins are very similar in structure to proteins found in organs like the thyroid and pancreas - antibodies caused by gluten can actually start attacking these organs and end up causing autoimmune diseases like hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes. 

Glutens inflammation affect on the gut causes intestinal cells to die early. This affect creates a leaky gut means bacterial proteins and toxic compounds can get into the blood stream. This again can lead to autoimmune attacks on the body. A leaky gut also means food does not get digested properly and the nutrients are not absorbed fully.

Gluten is not going to kill us overnight, but lets not pretend it's good for us.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Resistance training today was lovely. As in I felt lovely afterwards straining to put my gear on and my arms ache raising them over my head to put my coat on.
  • Oh, and the biggest issue with eating bread is not necessarily the gluten but the wheat germ. Lectin often ends up circling the body and brain where it can cause lectin resistance and cause effects similar to insulin. Because they're so similar the body cannot keep the right insulin balance which affects our bodies understanding of when it needs food and when it's going to need energy. 

This is one of the biggest factors with obesity because typically, those who are obese have no understanding of when they should stop eating Mars bars and cakes because they rarely feel full.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Having said that - grains and legumes are cheap. They provide legitimate nutrition (in terms of calories) to stop people starving. If the message is propagated (without true evidence) that they are bad for us, how do we replace them? Put another way: we cannot feed the world, even close, without grains.
    Yeah this isn't a millions leagues from what I've found troubling about low-stodge eating and its evangelisers on occasion.

That stated, before I completely go down the path of "only wealthy motherfuckers can afford to eat right", I'd like to see some hardcore price studies.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This book better make me a don regarding nutrition questions on the pub quiz machines.
  • google wrote:
    Gluten is not going to kill us overnight, but lets not pretend it's good for us.

Well this is the point at which I think we diverge - not necessarily that your statement is untrue, just that I can't believe it until I see the evidence. Our bodies create antibodies for all sorts of stuff - doesn't harm us all the time. Anyway - I'm genuinely glad it works so well for you, because there is nothing better than feeling healthy and happy.

If I could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, it would have to be clean and press. Full body workout from one movement!
  • Brooks wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Having said that - grains and legumes are cheap. They provide legitimate nutrition (in terms of calories) to stop people starving. If the message is propagated (without true evidence) that they are bad for us, how do we replace them? Put another way: we cannot feed the world, even close, without grains.
    Yeah this isn't a millions leagues from what I've found troubling about low-stodge eating and its evangelisers on occasion. That stated, before I completely go down the path of "only wealthy motherfuckers can afford to eat right", I'd like to see some hardcore price studies.

The pricing is propogated by the massive tax incentives that the western governments give to the farmers growing wheat. 

It's cheap, it's easy and it can be turned into all manner of tasty treats. The amount of money involved in high fructose corn syrup is fucking crazy. 

But yeah - our society has been cultivated to such a degree that this is so much cheaper. 

Anecdotally, in western society, is buying Uncle Ben's rice really that much cheaper than buying a romaine lettuce head?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    google wrote:
    Well this is the point at which I think we diverge.

So you're suggesting it's good for us?
  • google wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    google wrote:

No, I'm telling you I don't know, and also that I haven't been presented with any evidence that shows that (for those without coeliac disease) it is bad for us. Our diet staples, around the world, for thousands of years, have been rice, potatoes, wheat and beans - if these were as bad as you seem to be saying, surely we'd be able to find significant correlation and conclusions in PubMed? But I can't!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    No, I'm telling you I don't know, and also that I haven't been presented with any evidence that shows that (for those without coeliac disease) it is bad for us. Our diet staples, around the world, for thousands of years, have been rice, potatoes, wheat and beans - if these were as bad as you seem to be saying, surely we'd be able to find significant correlation and conclusions in PubMed? But I can't!

Thats all fair enough and I'm not looking to convince you of anything. 

But outside of the PubMed, surely you can feel the positive and negative effects of eating specific foods?

EDIT: To clarify. Feeling tired after a big, carbo loaded meal? Feeling particularly satiated after a big chicken breast and steamed veggies. etc.
  • See, I'm not sure actually. I mean obviously I feel sick if I eat too much sugar, drink too much booze. But generally, my diet is quite balanced and I eat quite "healthily" (as per earlier definition of not too much sugar / alcohol; plenty of fresh fruit+veg but also including lots of "bad" carbs) and I feel fine.

I don't feel unhealthy in any way: not particularly susceptible to illness, no chronic syndromes, no mental issues.

The variable that has the most effect on my mental state is exercise, with a notable spike in energy and positivity when I do something. Diet seems not to have a noticeable effect.

But clearly your mileage has varied - which I repeat is awesome.
  • The tired feeling after a dinner high in starchy or simple carbs is due to increase the blood sugar levels, causing your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin then triggers tryptophan, which gets converted into serotonin in your brain, making you feel sleepy.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • The tired feeling after a dinner high in starchy or simple carbs is due to increase the blood sugar levels, causing your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin then triggers tryptophan, which gets converted into serotonin in your brain, making you feel sleepy.

As I explained earlier (for which no one posted any sort of rebuttal, comment, argument - so I'm not sure if anyone even read it) if you're eating a deccent amount of foods containing Wheat Germ you're  very possibly full of Lectin which your body has a really tough distinguishing from insulin. As a result, combining both high doses of Lectin and Insulin in a single meal can be catastrophic to the way your body fuels itself.

I think you guys are all well and good because you're more than aware of how many calories you need per day, where you're going to get them from and how much exercise you're doing.

But imagine someone who is not aware. Imagine how fucking terrible this would be for them?
  • I've been too busy to read up on this gluten thang, but I definitely will soon. Always looking for somehting that'll give me the EDGE aha ohwow.
  • "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I saw an obese family on some documentary a while back who had to have it explained to them that eating a healthy pudding didn't counteract the ill-effects of eating a KFC bargain bucket as their main course.  Also, the fact that a trifle may contain some fruit does not mean that it is a healthy pudding.
  • I once ate 12 bags of monster munch in one sitting. Anyone else got any eating feats?
  • I once ate some KFC without being sick... wasn't so lucky the other time.  That learned me.
  • Who was it that put Wotsits on a kebab once?
  • Years ago I would buy Chocolate Minstrels, malteasers, chocolate balls - some sort of round chocolatey type confectionery.

I would then buy a pint of chilled chocolate custard from Marks and Sparks.

I would then empty the confectionery into the custard and eat the whole thing.

FUCK ME IT WAS GLORIOUS!
  • I used to eat whole tins of ambrosia custard warmed in a bowel. Not very impressive, but hey, I had restraint, even in childhood.
  • I also once ate a entire pack of Chewits with all the paper wrappers on for a dare. Fucking horrible experience.
  • Warmed in whose bowel?  That sounds a little creepy.
  • ahaha, spel spack. NOT ALL OF US WENT TO OXFORD.
  • I went to a physics lecture at Oxford Uni once - didn't understand a word of it.  Fortunately I was a student at York Uni at the time, doing music, which I was slightly better at.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!