The Paleo thread of keeping fit and looking healthy - or the other way around
  • "Hi I take steroids and an ECA stack and am going to make you feel like a pathetic worm cause you can't get close to DIS MASSS naturally, although I'll swear it's your shitty diet and routine that's responsible. Gimmie £300 a month to train you and you too can look like me! HURP HURP""
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Tempy, one of the major issues that comes from a bad diet in our younger years is diabetes and CVD once we reach our 30's and 40's.

I'll be honest with you and the idea of diabetes scares the absolute fuck out of me.
  • Why does anyone need that kind of muscle-tone/strength other than it being an utterly pointless exercise in vanity?  Or do I just live in a low gravity area or something where everything isn't so heavy?
  • Why does anyone need that kind of muscle-tone/strength other than it being an utterly pointless exercise in vanity?  Or do I just live in a low gravity area or something where everything isn't so heavy?

At worst, you are protecting yourself from untold diseases and medical problems.

At best, you are able to procreate with beautiful people instead of Fizz from corrie.
  • No one needs it, it is vanity. 

Strength and aesthetics do not go hand in hand. There are some strong-ass fugly-looking hunchback freaks in my gym that can move huge poundages. Anyone who says they lift soley for strength but are also lean and sporting a well proportioned physique are either lying about not caring about how they look, or genetically incredibly fucking lucky. Most people lift weights and eat right cause they wanna look good naked. Noting wrong with that. How far you take that is a personal thing.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • google wrote:
    Tempy, one of the major issues that comes from a bad diet in our younger years is diabetes and CVD once we reach our 30's and 40's.

I'll be honest with you and the idea of diabetes scares the absolute fuck out of me.

Eep.

• I personally care very little about how much I can lift. I used to, then I realised it was irrelevant and chasing numbers meant a serious injury was gonna be inevitable. I lift now to look good naked and be strong and healthy and to get out the house and de-stress. It really makes a huge difference to my overall well-being, all this healthy eating and lifting things up and down, I'm in it fo' life.
  • My reason for doing anything is because every time I see an old chap struggling to get down 3 stairs, or a bloated woman in her 50s only barely able to shuffle alone with a frame, I think fuck that noise.

My friend is a personal trainer, and through him I've had experience of 3 over the years. All 3 had vastly different styles, but there was one constant: when weight-lifting, form is everything. Even the high-intensity, low-recovery-time dude was all about taking my time on the lifts (especially anything with core / back muscles involved, which means all of them).

Anyway the reason I'm not ripped, full of energy and basically look like a greek god is because I eat too much, and not well. But at least I'll be able to walk around properly when I'm older.
  • Yep, seeing people gasp as they climb a small staircase at 50 is very alarming. Not for me, ta.
  • People at work take the lift for 2 stories, fuck them.
  • Enjoyable read, this thread. Googs my GF was interested in getting us to try the paleo thing earlier in the year, and it does appeal to me (I've suffered from the things you mentioned: lack of sleep, bit of weight gain, general lack of energy) so I'd like to give it a shot. One of the problems that occurred to me though was cost. Gluten-heavy carbs like pasta and rice are cheap, and as a student one thing I don't have in abundance is money, so they make up a large part of my diet. Do you find yourself spending a lot more on food shopping than you used to? As you say, some standard paleo stuff like coconut oil is hella pricey, which makes me wonder whether a paleo diet is something I can afford at the moment.
  • Is there any "proper" literature to support this paleo-stuff? Heard much about supposed ill-effects of gluten et al, linked often to the "we didn't evolve to eat this stuff" line; but would appreciate peer-reviewed epidemiological studies if poss.

Most conclusive-looking stuff I've found in the area of human nutrition and dietetics is:

1) anything / everything in moderation
    2) eat your fresh fruit and veg
    3) not too much alcohol or sugar

edit: Beyond that it seems to be suck it and see.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Is there any "proper" literature to support this paleo-stuff? Heard much about supposed ill-effects of gluten et al, linked often to the "we didn't evolve to eat this stuff" line; but would appreciate peer-reviewed epidemiological studies if poss. Most conclusive-looking stuff I've found in the area of human nutrition and dietetics is: 1) anything / everything in moderation 2) eat your fresh fruit and veg 3) not too much alcohol or sugar edit: Beyond that it seems to be suck it and see.

That's what I keep saying.
  • Nothing wrong with a touch of vanity.

I've been hitting the gym a lot recently and it's 95% down to wanting to look better. Also doing Taekwondo 4-5 times a week, which is helping a lot with my agility and endurance. 

Feels great.
  • I'd love to try and beat fuck out of you.
  • I'm pissing about, sorry, ahaha, i had to say that.
  • Yeah, I guess if it makes you feel good about yourself, it can't do any harm (if you're careful) but it's not imperative to have a muscular physique in order to be optimally fit and healthy.
    I don't really understand the need for 'paleo' and other such strict regimens, unless you're addressing a specific medical condition.  People are demonstrably living long, healthy lives simply by eating a sensibly proportioned, balanced diet. 

The 'everything in moderation' (including exercise) regimen works perfectly well for most people.
  • correct.
  • I weigh under 70kg.

Don't hurt me.
  • how tall?
  • 6ft.

I've always been really, really skinny, despite being pretty athletic (played sport to a decent level at uni). I got sick of being quite so wraithlike though, so I'm trying to bulk up a bit  by a) eating lots more and b) hitting the weights. I do Taekwondo because I love kicking things.
  • You'd fucking destroy me I'm sure. I'm tempted to get into a random street fight just to see what would happen but I'd probably end up in hospital and look like a right twat, rolling around in the gutter, all flailing arms and tears.
  • Oh Christ don't get Lester talking about Taekwondo. He'll start banging on and on about Muay Thai or whatever crazy shenanigans he's got himself mixed up in and how a 7 year old girl can beat him up or something.

Street fight = kick them in the balls, gouge their eyes, hit them hard on the nose. You win. If they have a weapon, run like fuck or give them all your money.
  • I think I'd dish out some quality body shots, but lack the accuracy required to land a hook to the chin. I could also pick someone up and throw them over a table I reckon cause I've got a great deadlift, ahahah wtf am I talking about.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Is there any "proper" literature to support this paleo-stuff? Heard much about supposed ill-effects of gluten et al, linked often to the "we didn't evolve to eat this stuff" line; but would appreciate peer-reviewed epidemiological studies if poss.

Most conclusive-looking stuff I've found in the area of human nutrition and dietetics is:

1) anything / everything in moderation
    2) eat your fresh fruit and veg
    3) not too much alcohol or sugar

edit: Beyond that it seems to be suck it and see.

What would you classify as proper? Because there is a tremendous amount of both independent research as well as anecdotal and historical data to consume.

What would you like?

@kazuo I find my typical shopping bill is a bit higher as I'm buying a lot more fresh meat and fish. However, I'm not buying anything like crisps, chocolate, cereal, cheese, milk, etc so it kind of evens itself out over a month. Plus I'm rarely eating out or snacking on a sandwich.

My meals are comprised of eggs, sausage, chicken breast, steak, salmon, shrimp and copious amounts of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, peppers and avocado. For sweet things I buy the occasional bar of 70% dark chocolate along with a box of strawberries/blackberries.
  • Dark chocolate is one of my fav things eva. Eat a juicy orange and some quality dark chocolate at the same time, wooo-eeeee.
  • When you take out all the processed shit in your diet (regardless of whether it's good/bad for you) food tastes soooo different.
  • Well I'm about to go start on my roast chicken with lemon and thyme for dinner, a tasty step in the right direction.
  • Indeed. The biggest tip I've learned is eat as much of the good stuff as you want. Eat until your full. Your body will deal with the rest as long as you're not pumping it full of sugar.
  • I wouldn't agree with that at all. Eat too much, you get fat, doesn't matter how nutritious it is. I've experienced this fact first hand many times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!