The Paleo thread of keeping fit and looking healthy - or the other way around
  • Cheers for the advice, that's my project for the next few weeks then. Are you still able to drink alcohol? Everything in moderation of course, but that seems to be one of those things people recommend dropping entirely for weight loss/muscle gain, and I'm not sure how it works with the paleo diet.
  • Kaz + Alcohol Moderation / Tweets about Hangovers = Hurr
  • You silly man. Your body won't allow you to just pile protein into your body. Protein satiates the body more than anything else. So if you eat half a chicken you should be both full and well nourished. As opposed to eating half a plate of fries.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    hit them hard on the nose.

Isn't that sharks? STREET FIGHTING SHARKS.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Cheers for the advice, that's my project for the next few weeks then. Are you still able to drink alcohol? Everything in moderation of course, but that seems to be one of those things people recommend dropping entirely for weight loss/muscle gain, and I'm not sure how it works with the paleo diet.

Yep. If I have a drink i keep it pretty mellow. Robb Wolff coinedenraged drink called the nor-cal margarita.

2 shots of the clearest tequilla you can find
    Half a lemon squezzed in
    Top up with soda

A couple of these will be enough to get you buzzed without having up injest your body weight in gluten.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    hit them hard on the nose.

Isn't that sharks? STREET FIGHTING SHARKS.

Streetsharks.jpg

• Tempy wrote:
    Kaz + Alcohol Moderation / Tweets about Hangovers = Hurr

That was 6 days ago!
  • google wrote:
    What would you like?

Well, what do you mean by independent research? If you mean long-term trials tracking the effects of different nutrition on humans, with peer-reviewed conclusions published in an accredited publication, then yes please, that would be perfect.

I realise this may come across as snide on a forum like this. But I'm genuinely interested - if there is a chance that a change of diet could prevent diabetes, IBS, and a range of other preventable diseases, then I'd like to know about it.
  • I have a question for anyone who actually knows about this sort of stuff:

I am 35 years old, I am around 15 stone (it fluctuates between 15 and 15.5). I'm 6ft tall and people would class me as a big bloke, not fat but big.

I do want to lose 2 stone or so. I managed to hit 14 stone a couple of years ago with a mix of playing football twice a week and cycling. But then the winter came and I did what most people do, and thats hibernate for six months.

I also live alone so I have no significant other to nag me into a routine, such as eating the right thing etc.

As far as I know, im doing the right thing by playing football at least once a week, although the cycling has been cut down significantly, mostly because I have no one to go with/motivate me. I'm not sedate, but I do have a particularly sedatry job as a software developer, which means being sat at a desk for most of my time during the day.

My goal over the summer is to reach 14 stone or less. I'm a complete salad dodger, I love meat, not particularly keen on fish but I'll give it ago. I'll eat pasta by the bucket load (because of cycling). But my question is this, I like to eat and I like to eat things I like the taste of, so what sort of routine should I get into? What sort of calorie intake should I be aiming at to reach my goal?

I'm a complete dietry noob and theres so much confusing/conflicting information out there I dont know whats what...

Halp!
  • "I like to eat and I like to eat things I like the taste of"
    There's your problem! 

I'd say initially, reduce your portions sizes, eat slower and don't have second helpings until 20 mins after finishing your plate. Leptin tells your brain your are "full" and those signals can take a while to reach the old brainbox. You'd be surprised how full you actuallly are if you just hang on for those 20 mins and dont just re-load your plate. 

Drink more water, ingest less salt.

That's a good start I'd say.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Funkstain wrote:
    If you mean long-term trials tracking the effects of different nutrition on humans, with peer-reviewed conclusions published in an accredited publication, then yes please, that would be perfect.

This doesn't exist. It doesn't exist for any 'diet'.

It's basically a lot of pseudo-science, anecdotes, trials, tests and biology all wrapped up into an idea that has worked for a lot of people.

We know our bodies react to certain food groups well or badly.

We know that gluten is inherently a difficult thing for our body to digest.

The modern diet is composed primarily of gluten/carbohydrates. We know the modern diet has caused the western world massive health issues. We know that the 1950's reasoning of a high carb/low fat diet is flat-out incorrect.

But we have no real science to back up that peleo is the right way to eat. We simply know it works.

As Turtle has quite rightly argued, there are many, many ways to achieve your goals. Paleo is one of these ways and for some people is the easiest and most effective.

It can cure diabetes. It can cure IBS. It can in some cases cure MS. But we dont need a paleo book to tell us that cutting out specific carbs (and thus sugar) will help us with diabetes. 

Here is the best cut and dry explanation of why paleo works - http://strong-athlete.com/the-science-of-paleo-dieting.html
  • Does Paleo totally cut out Carbs because, like, pasta man. PASTA. Nom.
  • rossi wrote:
    I'll eat pasta by the bucket load (because of cycling).

I have no real understanding for this.

Why would you feel that because you're cycling you would need to eat a lot of pasta? Do you think if you ate a steak and vegetables instead of that spaghetti bolognese (sic) you would feel less energised?

You're actually a very similar size to where I was when I first started. To lose weight it really is a simple case of reducing calories taken in. The easiest solution way to do this is to eat foods that are nutritionally dense but low in calories. Eating lots of chicken, turkey and beef along with copious amounts of salad will fill you up, give you an energy boost, satiate you for a long time and hopefully help you get to a point where you wont feel the need to eat a 1200+ calorie dinner of pasta because you're not so hungry.

The biggest thing with changing your eating habits is changing your eating habits. Having cereal every single morning is not a good way to charge your body. It's high in calroies, low in nutrients and does not satiate you. But what else do you eat if you've been eating cereal for 30 years? 

That's the toughest hurdle.

Get the book I recommended - http://robbwolf.com/shop/products/the-paleo-solution-the-original-human-diet/

It has a full explanation of how food affects us. How our body deals with different foods. Why gluten, dairy and legumes can cause us a number of pretty horrible issues. A meal plan. A shopping list. 

It's also very well written - so it's easy to digest. The guy who wrote it is a scientist and former pro-athlete who has gone from being a carbo-holic, to a vegetarian, to a vegan to a full on paleo champ. He's seen it all so has some really good anecdotes about the way to move forward.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Does Paleo totally cut out Carbs because, like, pasta man. PASTA. Nom.

Yup. No pasta. You get your carbs from fruit, nuts, and meat instead.
  • Carbs from meat?
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Carbs from meat?

Yeah, OK - that was a silly statement.
  • google wrote:
    It can cure diabetes. It can cure IBS. It can in some cases cure MS. But we dont need a paleo book to tell us that cutting out specific carbs (and thus sugar) will help us with diabetes.
    By 'cure' you mean 'help to manage' presumably? (In the cases of diabetes and MS at least).
  • google wrote:
    Yup. No pasta. You get your carbs from fruit, nuts, and meat instead.

Fuck Paleo, hello Mac n Cheese + Diabetes/Cancer/Death
  • Anyone ever done a green turd?
  • google wrote:
    By 'cure' you mean 'help to manage' presumably? (In the cases of diabetes and MS at least).

Again, there's no real science to back this up, but there is a huge amount of anecdotal feedback about diabetes (for all intents) going away. Not having to deal with insulin. Blood work being registered at normal levels, etc.

MS is a different story. Again, no science but I'll post a video in two secs that could totally change your life.
  • Everyone in this thread should watch this video:
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Dr. Terry Wahls learned how to properly fuel her body. Using the lessons she learned at the subcellular level, she used diet to cure her MS and get out of her wheelchair.[/font]

• google wrote:
    This doesn't exist. It doesn't exist for any 'diet'.

See, that astonishes me. There has to be academic and commercial interest, with significant implications for humanity, concerning nutrition.

Why do we instead have to rely on, as you put it, pseudo-science to tell us what we should or shouldn't eat?

Of course, there are many studies on diet, many spanning decades, with control groups, blinded results; looking into all sorts of dietary variables. So far it all seems quite inconclusive, apart from the generalisations I mentioned earlier.
  • There are hundreds of 'cures' for every known illness that are completely unproven by medical science.  Someone posted something about 'light nourishment' earlier - that website claimed that bathing in light could cure cancer iirc.  Paleo may be a cure for some ailments but until there's peer-reviewed medical evidence to back up these claims, they're pretty wild and not a little irresponsible.  You're talking about type-2 diabetes only?  There are many treatments that are apparently very effective at treating it, none of which are a proven cure, but some of which can possibly help it to go into remission (again not proven afaik).   Generally, changing from a fairly poor diet to a healthy, balanced one has been proven to significantly improve the condition of many type-2 diabetes sufferers, but there's never been a medically proven cure for either type.
  • Generally, changing from a fairly poor diet to a healthy, balanced one has been proven to significantly improve the condition of many type-2 diabetes sufferers, but there's never been a medically proven cure for either type.

It's so easy yet there are millions incapable of doing it.

Why?
  • google wrote:
    Generally, changing from a fairly poor diet to a healthy, balanced one has been proven to significantly improve the condition of many type-2 diabetes sufferers, but there's never been a medically proven cure for either type.

It's so easy yet there are millions incapable of doing it.

Why?

LAZY
  • She didn't cure her MS, though she may have treated it quite effectively with a sensible diet.  She still has MS.
  • I doubt it's laziness, it's probably more to do with education, structure and the like.

I've been reading a few business books on how to 'shape the path' for prospects and clients to understand why they need to change and become more efficient and it's the exact same principle for people who are ill, fat, unhealthy, etc.

It's really difficult for someone who has diabetes because they ate shit all their life to suddenly stop eating shit because someone tells them to. 

If they were to understand how their body reacts to the shit. What the outcome is. How they can easily over come it and with a structured plan that is easy to follow, how much better would they be able to handle their illness?
  • People are fucking mongs though, lead 'em to water and they won't drink if they could have Red Bull instead. 

ENJOY YOUR TOXIC DEATH, SPACKFUCK
  • She didn't cure her MS, though she may have treated it quite effectively with a sensible diet.  She still has MS.

Yeah, fuck her, right?

How dare she fight through her debilitating disease that forced her from a life of being a top-tier martial artist into a wheelchair. 

SHE'S NOT CURED, SHE'S JUST FEELING MUCH MUCH BETTER, YOUR HONOUR!!?!!!!!!!!
  • OK I can't quote your video Google but here are my notes:

1) Yes the body needs those nutrients for those things. With a balanced diet you will get more than you need from what you eat. No need for supplements.

2) I agree that diets including processed foods and that are unbalanced (i.e.: do not have enough fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, and fats) are unhealthy. So far so no shit.

3) Hunter-gatherers didn't know anything about how to eat - they just ate whatever didn't kill them. I hate this noble savage shit. Nevertheless I understand the point - humans used to eat a balanced diet, now they do not. Again no shit.

4) So now we get to the point where she explains that grains, legumes etc are bad - everyone's intolerant to gluten. She lists a load of scary things, and just like that a firm link is made between poor old gluten and all of these horrible diseases. Evidence pls.

5) I have seen homeopathy videos which claim the same kind of "miracles". I want evidence not anecdotes. I'm very glad it worked for her, and I'm very glad it works for you - of course I am. But to preach it without evidence (real, empirical, repeatable evidence!) is not good.

6) The final link: FACT: we are getting fat because our diets are shit. FACT: we should eat better to prevent this. MADE-UP: eating better means not eating gluten.

On the whole it's tough to get annoyed by this (unlike homeopathy which my fucking tax money pays for on the NHS). It's advocating a healthy diet (good) and perhaps in this case the end justifies the means (diet "goodness" based on shonky evidence) - and more than anything it's obviously doing you the world of good, without making shady dealers very rich.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!