General VR and AR chinwag
  • Htc won't guarantee new cable, so it's a lottery wether you'll get one at the moment. It does look a lot better.
  • n0face wrote:
    Htc won't guarantee new cable, so it's a lottery wether you'll get one at the moment. It does look a lot better.

Well that's annoying.
  • djchump wrote:

Last time I played Tilt Brush it was already improving on an already great experience. I liked the scaling update, that would allow you to make something and blow it up to the size of a house.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Woah... Fruit Ninja VR on Vive is quite trippy...

Still not sure about this VR shit though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So yeah... Those VR controllers are legit. 

It was a full room setup with the infrared boxes. The Vive was hooked up to what can only be described as a 'beast' of a laptop... A weird, cumbersome MSI branded device on which the keyboard was almost squeezed off the machine by a unit housing what I'm guessing is a GPU for a desktop machine.

This be dat bitch.

It all hit home when the fruit started flying, with me flailing about like an arse...

Then, at some point, I accidentally hit a banana with the flat side of the katana, only for the nana' to realistically bounce off the side of the blade without slicing it.

Epic.

The fidelity of control is remarkable.

Still not sure about the optics though. 
    It is, for all intent, just a bucket with two screens over your head.
    Tbf, the refresh rate was high... At least 60fps, and unlike the Gear VR, I certainly was not able to count individual pixels. But overall, it didn't feel that much more impressive than the beta version of Omega Agent on the Mk2 Rift dev kit...

But those controllers... Especially in Fruit Ninja VR, are quite remarkable, and will provoke thought, even if you're a VR skeptic.

So where did I try it?

Interestingly Fnatic, the eSports team (apparently) famous for their Counter Strike and LoL exploits, have a popup store in Shorditch... They have a Vive rig and a reasonable collection of games there. Worth a visit if you can find it (the details are on Facebook). And not necessarily for the VR either. 

The staff there know a lot about eSports. Quite an eye opener.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Oculus Touch order is being processed! Hype v2!
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Good stuff!

No movement on my order :(
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I have also got the processing email and have downloaded my copy of The Unspoken... all very exciting!
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yeah I need to make sure I download everything.  I'm sooooo looking forward to this, haven't used my Rift in ages.  Superhot VR and Robo Recall aren't release date games are they?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Superhot supposedly on day of release indeed.. that's a buy. Robo Recall is free but early 2017 currently.

I was playing some Subnautica recently on ma Rift. It's a great fit but it'll be nice if it ever gets out of alpha and thy make it work ok. I have a handily iron stomach it seems but I  could see how some folks would find the chunky framerates, general sluggishness and pop in too much.
    Having ATW and ASW now running seems to breath a good bit more life into the ol' 970 thankfully. The 1080, new mobo, new RAM hit can get punted a bit further down the road.

Some of the hints of the free stuff (Medium, the Unspoken, Toybox, First Contact, Dead and Buried..the rest..) is going to make for a nice launch it seems. 
    I hope they can sort out the Rift haptics in SteamVR soon. I'd like to try some of that stuff too.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ah well horseshit.. December just got a good deal more expensive.. 

The 53 strong launch lineup is up... And it is a bit of a doozy. Superhot, Dead and Buried, I Expect You To Die, Medium, Ripcoil, SportsBar VR, Unspoken, Toybox, Space Pirate Trainer, Rec Room, First Contact, trusty Job Sim, Fantastic Contraption.. bit of Holoball.. 

Well shit. 
    At least a few of those are free..
  • Superhot!

Looks like a decent "launch" lineup.  I hope they sort out the haptic stuff in steam too because I really want to play Onward.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    For anyone with PSVR , Bound is on sale for £6.49 and is supposed to be stunning in VR. I've bought in preparation for Xmas .

I picked this up. The game is... OK. However, the VR really is superb - they've nailed it.

The way the camera is implemented is a bit weird at first (it's static, but you can move it with the right stick in jumps) but you quickly get used to it, and it completely eradicates any motion sickness. (Yes, this remains my number one criterion when assessing VR games.) Meanwhile the visuals are incredible.

Definitely worth a look if you have VR...
  • Nexx wrote:
    I hope they sort out the haptic stuff in steam too because I really want to play Onward.

They fixed this overnight! Hype intensified.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    WAHEY! Time to get the Lab downloaded then.

Edit: Whoop! Touch payment processed just this morning! 

it'shappening.gif

Where's my shipping details Palmer?
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    FFS!!!

Still no email for me - Fuck Palmer right up the Trump!
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    What minute of the original Rift pre order where you when you pre-booked your place for the Touch? *winkysmileyface*

By all accounts they have made a fair few of these Touches so you should still be good. All my confirm emails obviously went straight to the spam folder...

Edit: What does it say on your Touch order on Oculus.com?
  • How long is the Rift headset cable btw? Do you get an extender with the Touch controllers?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I think the cables (sensor/headset) are 4m as a rule. That's long enough for my little current setup but folks have been using passive cables on both the sensor and headset since launch with not too many problems.

There's a list somewhere of cables that definitely work.

Edit: These seem to sound decent? I'll keep em on a shortlist just in case.
    Spoiler:
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I've been using this for the headset:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QV3THB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this for the sensor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P0ES0QM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The HDMI extension is only 50CM - I was getting worried about damaging the HDMI port on my GFX swapping the cables all the time.  No problems to report there.

The USB extension is another matter - never dropped out mid-game, however there have been a number of times it's taken a couple of connects/disconnects before the sensor is correctly detected.  This may be because i'm on a Ivy bridge MB and although it is USB3, the Rift compatibility check states that I may have problems with the USB.

On a different note, got the email i've been waiting for since the Rift arrived!!!
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    WHOOP WHOOP.. My Touch left Eindhoven at 2am this morning. I got me my tracking number. Wahey! Looking good for the 6th delivery at this rate. 

Will think about getting this setup in a room that might be a bit more roomy for some tottering about..
  • For the folks who have PSVR , can they please try out the new Resident Evil demo and tell us about it please.

They've updated it and the first hour of the game is playable in VR
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    At this time of night? With the curtains closed? You trying to kill us or summat? I could have a heart condition... I probably would after that.. 

Maybe...
  • isanbard wrote:
    At this time of night? With the curtains closed? You trying to kill us or summat? I could have a heart condition... I probably would after that..  Maybe...

Do it !!!!!!!!
  • Also , play it with a heart rate monitor on
  • Welcome to room scale lads. it's far better.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    For the folks who have PSVR , can they please try out the new Resident Evil demo and tell us about it please.   They've updated it and the first hour of the game is playable in VR

Right then, took a while to download, but I gave it a go.  Played about half an hour's worth before deciding I ought to be in bed.

Demo starts with a "VR Tutorial" - this is actually fairly good.  Makes sure you've set it up, introduces the controls, and gives advice on how to not end up throwing up.  (Try to not move around too near walls, use the 30 degree turn with right stick rather than just head movement for turning etc.)  As  result, no throwing up and most of the nausea was thanks to wondering around a virtual house full of animal viscera rather than the VR itself.  (Though I think after another half an hour I probably would have been feeling it a bit.)

In my time playing not very much actually happened (I got to the end of the videotape), but it all felt suitably creepy none the less.  It certainly works, and works well for that matter.  Using the controller breaks the immersion a little bit, but you fairly quickly get used to it.  The house itself looks and sounds great, there's a really horrible, goopy filthy feeling you get walking around it which makes it immediately unpleasant.  There's one door I was reluctant to push against just because of how it looked...

Hard to say much more than that after half an hour.  But yes, it's a full VR demo, they seem to have at least partially addressed the nausea issues that were talked about in previews, and it's thoroughly creepy and unpleasant.
  • Thanks , I'm getting mine as a part Xmas present / financed by me for £265 from Tesco but they don't seem to know when I'll get it , despite have an est delivery date of yesterday .

As long as I get for Christmas it doesn't matter but when I've phoned up and they say their website says that release is the 12th Dec ( which is obviously wrong ) and they don't have a clue

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!