Getting Married...
  • But in all seriousness it is like an arrival table full of sweets and each guest gets a sweet bag to fill up. Its kind of like a wedding favour/nice arrival event. Very popular in America.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Nevermind you answered my question as I was typing it.
  • i'd say the best advice is be careful of the cost of "little things". There are lots of nice things you can add to your wedding, which most people will recommend but they fucking add up, and quickly. Not just in terms of cost but also in organising and decision making.

Very few people will remember the "favours" on a wedding table a month after the day.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Frosty wrote:
    Nevermind you answered my question as I was typing it.

Yeah, I apologise though, I couldn't resist the obvious/terrible joke in front of me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    i'd say the best advice is be careful of the cost of "little things". There are lots of nice things you can add to your wedding, which most people will recommend but they fucking add up, and quickly. Not just in terms of cost but also in organising and decision making. Very few people will remember the "favours" on a wedding table a month after the day.

I was going to just do bags of fudge or sommat and make em myself.
  • I've finished editing my epic post now.
    It's safe to say that we had an amazing day but I don't think we could have put on that wedding for much less, as we were pretty efficient and organised about the whole process.
    Anyhow, hope that's helpful, reg, but feel free to fire any questions at me if you think I can be of further assistance.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Very few people will remember the "favours" on a wedding table a month after the day.
    We didn't have favours on our tables, but we had edible centrepieces, which went down a treat.  Basically, a tree of white and dark chocolate coated strawberries on each table.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's what's in the hotel deal for £4995

[ul][li]Red carpet arrival[/li][li]A dedicated and experienced Wedding Planner who will discuss and help with your wedding day decisions[/li][li]The services of a Wedding Host to guide you through your special day[/li][li]Champagne for Bride & Groom on arrival[/li][li]Sparkling wine reception for your guests[/li][li]A selection of canapés for during your drinks reception *[/li][li]Three course Wedding Breakfast with tea and coffee[/li][li]Half bottle of house wine with Wedding Breakfast (per guest)[/li][li]Sparkling wine for toast[/li][li]A choice of evening buffet menus[/li][li]Use of our wedding cake base and cake knife[/li][li]Top table floral arrangement[/li][li]Personalised place cards, menus and table plans[/li][li]Fully dressed tables (white cloths, napkins and candle centrepieces)[/li][li]Complimentary overnight accommodation in a deluxe room on your wedding night[/li][li]Special accommodation rates for your guests to enjoy[/li][li]Piper[/li][li]Disco and DJ for evening reception[/li][li]A complimentary taster meal for two before the wedding, to ensure your menu is perfect[/li][li]Six month pre-wedding Yu Spa Membership for two[/li][li]A complimentary overnight stay for two, with breakfast, on your first anniversary (subject to availability)[/li][/ul]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FFS. I still can't do copy and pasting.
  • Click on the 'remove formatting' button (A with minus sign).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did do...
  • Oh, well you've just experienced the limits of my expertise on that subject then.
  • Aw all this romantic talk about wedding planning on the forum....and I have a mahoosive barney with the fiance! Partly about me not listening because I was on the laptop...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Here's what's in the hotel deal for £4995

That sounds pretty good to be honest, so long as you're going with the venue because you like it, and not just for the deal.  (Stating the obvious I know, but I've seen it happen.)

My wedding was great, but the lead up was a bit of a fiasco, thanks to my mother in law sending all of the invites to her mates, rather than anyone we knew or wanted.  (We had 80 of her friends, and 50 of our friends and family).  The upshot of this was her dad felt so bad he bankrolled the whole thing, and gave us carte blanche on whatever we wanted.  So we had an amazing wedding, which just happened to have 80 complete strangers hanging around in the background.  (The caterers had provided booze for 130, but most of the Mystery 80 were Muslim, meaning there was something of an excess, so those friends we were able to invite got very, very drunk indeed.)

I'ver had friends get married on varying budgets from the extremely rich to the not at all.  One of my favourites was one of the latter.  They had the wedding itself in the registry office, but for the reception they were able to hire out a Youth Hostel off season for very little.    All guests were asked to bring food and entertainment.  The reception lasted 3 days and was absolutely amazing.

But yeah, if that's your budget, and the place is nice, sounds good to me.  To be honest, it all becomes fairly irrelevant on the day so long as you both turn up.  The hard bit is not getting caught up in all the ridiculous politics before hand...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Right, thought I'd start this, as we're just starting off on the way towards it, and any help / experience would be welcome. As far as I see it, there are the following things to sort out -  - Wedding itself (for us, it will not be a religious one - what's the best way around this? Where etc?) - Venue - We're having about 80 for the meal, then around 50 others afterwards.  - Music - Flowers - Outfits - Transport  Now, I know that hotels etc can put a lot of this into a package deal (ie venue, food, decorations, dj etc) but I'm wondering what experience people have had with all this - what's the likely cost of this going to be? We really don't want a fancy glitzy thing, but at the same time, don't want to seem cheap or anyfin.

I got married in 2010.  My father in law paid for the whole thing.  We had it in a swanky old fashioned hall type place looking over the sea that caters specially for weddings and the like (we didn't use a church, whole thing was in one place). 

Do it that way if you can - it's far easier than church/registry office - somewhere for dinner - somewhere to party.

I got very drunk the NIGHT BEFORE though.  My best man took me out (it was unplanned).  Felt like shite for most of my wedding day.  DON'T GO ON THE LASH THE NIGHT BEFORE.

But you seem a sensible chap.  Unlike me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I'm not having a stag or anything anywhere near my wedding.
  • Similar to the above, and also applies to the bride: DON'T have a load of bubbly in the morning before the wedding to "calm the nerves" or any of that bullshit. It's a long day and you don't want to start it being tipsy on an empty, nervous stomach.

Also, definitely get some food into you before the wedding. You won't taste anything much due to nerves, but you will need it, even if you don't feel hungry.
  • Do speeches before the food, is advice I've heard. Those speaking can often be ver nervous and therefore won't touch the food.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I had a full English breakfast on the morning of my wedding and it set me up very nicely for the day ahead.  (I generally have about one FE a year, so that's me set until 2013 now).

Speeches-wise, I still think it's a better idea to have them at the end of the meal.  By then everybody's had a good feed and are relaxed and enjoying their coffee etc. and are generally in a pretty receptive frame of mind, rather than sitting impatiently waiting to be fed.  I was a little nervous about mine (especially as I hadn't finished it until about 2am that day), but you have to remember that you're playing to the most friendly crowd you're ever likely to encounter.

Of course it means that the speech-givers have to be a little sensible about alcohol consumption during the meal, so as not to make a tit of themselves.
  • We did them throughout the dinner. Slight Russian touch where guests do mini inpromptu speeches throughout. A bit pass the mic.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They'll be pre dinner - have learned from experience this is best time to do em
  • It's not just a stag do near the wedding, I found I sat down after dinner for a quiet drink with a good mate who was staying in the same hotel, and by the time I'd blinked it was 1am. Lots of other friends kept pitching up and saying hello and good luck, and then there'd be another quick drink, etc. 

With nerves etc, it wasn't the best night's sleep. Also, on the night, don't bank on much time to sit and have a beer with a friend or anything, you'll be constantly dragged away as host to meet and greet all sorts of people. I can't remember what time it was by the time I finally finished a drink. 

One of my biggest wedding regrets is that some of the lovely people I've met through here weren't at it.
  • If I ever get married I hope it's not to one of these girls who's expecting it to be the best day of their life, because it won't be. The apparently modest sums people are throwing about are insane. £7,000 is cheap?
  • Comparatively, yes.  Unless you plan to do registry office then pub, you'll most likely spend several thousand.
    The biggest expense is catering for the guests.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If I ever get married I hope it's not to one of these girls who's expecting it to be the best day of their life, because it won't be. The apparently modest sums people are throwing about are insane. £7,000 is cheap?

Relatively cheap. I'm fuxking terrified about the cost
  • You'll be fine - you earn a decent wage.  It's not like you have to write a cheque tomorrow for £10k.  You can spread the cost over the entire time that you're planning the wedding.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Jesus, I'm not spending that much on the wedding!

I'm flying to another country so half the mentals in my family can't come and it'll be cheaper. Also that way I'm 99% sure the weather will be baking.

I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with favours. Why the shit would I need to give people sweets when I'm giving them a meal? I'm tempted to change favours to bottles of wine with our name on.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • You'll be fine - you earn a decent wage.  It's not like you have to write a cheque tomorrow for £10k.  You can spread the cost over the entire time that you're planning the wedding.

We have found that once the deposits for things have been paid it is then just a case of saving up for the rest. As you have given yourself so much time, it shouldn't be a problem!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    For 5k you could get married in South Africa and be led to each other across a beach on elephant back. Also it'd cut the guest list down without you trying whilst inviting everyone.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • On the other hand, I have absolutely no regrets about the cost of ours because it was fairly spectacular, and very much the best day of our lives.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!