Getting Married...
  • No day getting married to any woman on the planet would compare to a year or more of travelling together. At least for me.
  • .... But on the other hand, with a then-fiancée who was a manager in a hotel with only so many days of holiday, and being a pilot with even more limited time off, if you can't spend all the money on ditching your job and travelling for a year, why. It spend it on an awesome party?

Likewise, as per tradition, my father in law paid for a huge proportion of it. He's unlikely to write me a £30k cheque for a holiday, so again, may as well take the £30k party.
  • Just don't lose sight of what's most important to you about your wedding day - it's easy to get obsessed with details and costs and all sorts of things.  We tried to keep sight of the fact that everybody that we cared about was able to come and share a day of celebration with us - nothing else really mattered all that much to us.  We made sure that they were well fed and watered and we put on a lively evening of music for them, so a good time was had by all.  It's likely the only time in your life when everybody that you know and love will be there with you all at the same time - except for your funeral perhaps.

Dresses, venues, the colours of the sashes on the chairs, all of these things may matter to some extent but that's likely not what you'll care about in 20 years time when you look back on it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah. I agree Igor - we want a nice location and nice food but not anything too fancy. Just don't see the need.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We're a multi-talented bunch, I reckon we could assist.  For example, I'll do your wedding invites for nuffin if you've no other option.  Buy nothing you or someone else could make yourself is my 'tude.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The last thing you want is for your wedding day to be the best day of your life. That means it's all downhill afterwards. My cheapo wedding weekend was great, but there's been countless days since that have topped it.

Of course, if someone else is forking out for it and wouldn't give you the money for anything else, fine. I'd just never want anyone to go into major debt for it.
  • Concentrate on the people, the favours take care of themselves. The saying the devil is in the detail? Most of the stuff you spend ages on and even disagreeing on will be forgotten in a matter of months after. Make sure your woman is happy. Make sure you are happy. That's what makes a great day. The second cousin complaining about the soup? Fuvk em.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Not sure if the wedding car has been mentioned yet but here you go...

VW Camper

...no need to thank me, it's a pleasure to help!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I was going to hire a matching Karmann Cabriolet for the bride and a split screen van for the bridesmaids, but the closest company I found was north yorkshire and they wouldn't come as far as Newcastle because of the wear on the cars. My suspicion was they didn't trust them not to break down.

In the end I went for this bad boy.

PaulBeth_266.jpg
  • My brother got married in June. It was literally all the family talked about for about a year and a half. But it was a great day in the end. Good luck to all those getting married!
  • I hope krs can fix that, Mod.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I know. If it was mine it'd drive me mental. Good old brummie coachwork.
  • Ill sing at your wedding reg.
    for free. During the ceremony.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Didn't get much change from £40k, I found that whilst individual items seemed reasonable their cumulative effect was devastating on my wallet.

Also overspent on a cake.
    Flowers were pricey but lovely, we reused some of the pedestals in the Marquee for the wedding breakfast.
    Photographer, videographer was c£2.5k from memory but did a great job.
    Quartet, harpist, choir and DJ were all reasonable.
    Champagne everywhere added up.
    Bar tab for everyone didn't come to much, maybe £700.
    Venue hire and all the rooms added up to a reasonable chunk.
    Meal c£50 per head excluding wine. Made sure everyone had a bottle of wine each for dinner - can't remember how much that cost.
    My suit was £800, in retrospect there was no need to buy one but it fitted well. Dress was c£2k. Hired all the groomsmen's stuff. Bought some Mont Blancs as gifts for my best men.
    Honeymoon was c£5k, but well worth it.
    Had DarthJim's help with the invites. Laser cut perfection but cost a stupid amount.

Any way, it all adds up. Keep a spready and trying and cut costs on everything as the margin on all that shit is ludicrous as it is for a wedding people really try and take the piss.
  • Ask for discount. Never accept the first price. It works.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm aimin for something like £6000- have had a quote of £4995 for hotel day and night reception, leaving £1000 for dress (mrs reg doesn't want a white dress etc) and car hire. About doable?

That's easily doable. You sound like you're planning something similar to what I did last year. Ours came in at about £5k.

Its all the little things that you don't realise you'll need that add up.

Gamertag: gremill
  • You can't do a wedding for £6k if you're spending £5k on the hotel/catering alone.
  • the photographer is an interesting one. Before hand I was a bit unsure about spending too much but the photo's are the easiest way for me to remember as the years go by as i've got a pretty shoddy memory (and a photographic one) so it helps me to remember no end. We spent about 1500 and the guy had a great time. It got to 12 and everyone was slaughtered doing New York New York and even though we told him he could stop and get drunk he continued very professionally.

Alot of people do photography quite well.. might be worth hitting them up but in retrospect i'd not skimp on this too much..
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Reg has someone doing it for free.  I spent a very modest £300 on mine but she was excellent.  Ceremony and drinks only though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mine was £650 but that was only really because I'd met her on a Business Link course and like me was starting out so did it as a bit of a favour to get some work in. The one quote I got just to make sure I wasn't being ripped off was £800 for half a day.
  • For our wedding I designed and printed all of the invites, we hand made the centre pieces for the tables, these were branches that looked like mini trees which were sprayed white and stuck into mini pots with plaster of paris, they had lots of ribbons and little tags for people to write messages attached. Was ace reading them after the wedding.

For the cars we used my dads MK 1 Cortina for me and the boys, the bride arrived in her dads Triumph Vitesse and we borrowed a Ford Consul off a friend for our getaway from the church.

There's lots of little things like that you can do to help keep costs down.
  • i'llneed some major convincing to get married i daresay but it'll be nice if it happens (someone in our families is feeling extremely generous)
  • I was always anti-marriage but I bloody love being married, it was an awesome day and looking round and seeing Mrs Danger walk down the aisle was a feeling I'll never forget. 

Regarding speeches, I'd also advise doing them after the meal it'll be quite a long time from the ceremony to sitting down to eat so people will be hungry and looking forward to eating waiting through 3 sets of speeches wont be top of their wish list. Plus they will have drunk a lot more wine during the meal so will be much more receptive to the jokes ;)
  • "Mrs Danger" ahaha!
  • I was always anti-marriage but I bloody love being married, it was an awesome day and looking round and seeing Mrs Danger walk down the aisle was a feeling I'll never forget.

haha, i cant say im antimarriage so much as i cant really condone us getting married unless its absolutely convenient with everyone and we'll be sure to have an amazing day. people say 'why not have a little service' and i wonder why bother, we'rre fine without. so i suppose its just a mattter of it being amazing really.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I suppose it depends on how you've got the day set up.

By the time everyone had got from the church to the venue it was cracking on for 7 o'clock. I wanted people to get food in them asap so told the caterers to serve it as soon as it was ready. Then we had speeches after (not during).

If you've got everyone in one place for most of the day you might do the speeches before food to fill in a lull a bit.

This is just personal preference but I hate that bit when all the tables are sitting there looking across hungrily at the top table as their food comes out first and you sit in line. I was determined wherever we had it it would be a hot buffet with no table plans.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Think we are on a roll. Have been offered a 20% discount from a place doing a complete deal for having a winter wedding. News after the weekend...
  • Go team deeesecount!
  • It's mine and Mrs Prime's sixth anniversary today.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!