Getting Married...
  • Rehersal done. Reception venue has been decorated. Family is in the hotel that is very similar to Fawlty Towers. One night to go.
    Good luck mate!

best

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • All the best Aaron!!
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Have a great day. All the best.
  • Good luck.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Best of luck Aaron.
  • Cheers guys, the wedding was incredible. Very chilled out, relaxed and great fun. I genuinly couldn't stop smiling.

I am now a very happily married man.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Congrats.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Toot!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bwark!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Woooo!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Congrats fella! :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Right. Wedding rings guys.
    We've just spent hours looking at expensive uninspiring rings. 
    What did you lot do?

I have just had the idea of buying some pure gold and making our own. A quick web search has a place in Hatton Gardens London that spends the day with you for £150 each person and you make the ring yourself. Gold is approx £30 a gram and I just found a dealer selling it for £39 per gram, so for approx £350 each we could have pure gold bands with a bit of meaning behind them instead of the crap 9ct rings that the high street is trying to sell you for £500+ each. 
    We also have some old gold that can be melted down, so it could be even cheaper. 
    Any opinions?

Edit
    We wouldnt be wearing the rings at all times so the soft nature of pure gold is not really an issue.
  • Mine is a simple white gold band that was fairly cheap. I'm still getting used to wearing it and I keep catching it on things!
  • Ok I'm going to try out some photos from the big day...

Forum%2520one.jpg

Forum%2520two.jpg
  • Swenwillian, Cwenwillian, Gwenwillian.

Congratulations, whoever she is. :)
  • Congrats Aaron and all the best!

Even though I'm about as far away from having to think on marriage stuff as is possible I think it's kind of polite to ask the father. It obviously depends on the family situation but I think it's a nice touch. I'm kind of old fashioned though. I also think spending a ridiculous amount on a ring just because is rather silly. Surely it'd be more important to have something that means something specifically special to the person. If that's diamonds then so be it but I think it's pretty well known how ridiculously overpriced diamonds are considering they're not at all rare and the market is just controlled by DeBeers. They're pretty, sure, but so are many other precious stones.
    If having a super expensive ring is important to somebody then I don't think I'd want to be getting married to that somebody.

But like I said, I've got no idea, that's just my two cents worth of wedding ring.

Oh, and funny story whereby I was at a friend's place and her younger sister had been seeing a guy for not that long (about 6 months) and he decided to call up and ask for permission to marry the sister while I was there. Didn't go very well. If you're going to ask, best to ask in person.
  • Looks lovely dude. Hope was a great day!

yeah, I ended up asking the father. Did give it away though as my girlfriend came outside and wondered what the fuck we were doing!

She was over the moon though. You don't need to spend thousands for a nice ring, it all depends. I ended up going to the source of the rings I liked, found their office in Hatton Gardens where they sold them just above wholesale. and they spent 3 visits with me as I looked through what they had, as they ran back and forth to the safe upstairs. Lovely lovely experience when I found the right one (vintage diamond, which is much cheaper but I thought much prettier).

Since proposing we have almost booked the venue, shes got her dress picked, guest list written out, food decided... its only been over a week!! My head's spinning a bit.
  • Ha ha. Me too. Lady Pantyfire went from not being bothered about the whole getting married thing to OMG!!!!! Table decorations, centre pieces, flowers, dress, guests, OMG, OMG OMG!!
    In about 5 mins. 
    No matter how cool they act they all have a wedding plan in mind at all times.
    Now though the magnitude and the family politics of the situation have sunk in and she has calmed down a lot and has even said its a massive pain in the arse. 

The package it looks like we are going for at the venue will take a lot of the hassle out of the organisation of things and we are not going and getting things like a horse and carriage etc...

I have fired off an email to the ring making experience people and we have weighed some 99.9% gold jewelrey that her grandmother gave her but she never wears because it's quite frankly not nice and it looks like for the fraction of the cost of a high st set of rings we can have two with a bit of meaning behind them and maybe a half decent diamond set into hers.
  • What's your wife's name, Aaron?  Regardless of that first letter I've never seen that name before.
  • It is a mental name! Gwenllian, pronounced gwen-lee-an. Its a welsh name.
  • I proposed on New Years Eve. Everything went perfectly, and i'm usually shit at organising a surprise.

For Xmas, her main gift was a 3 day New Years getaway in London, which came as a nice surprise as for the past 2 years we haven't done anything for New Years. I booked a nice fancy hotel, and a few shows, dinners etc- so she was pretty excited.

I asked permission of the father the day before we went, which was a difficult task in itself without arising suspicion! Won't go through the ins and outs, but she said yes and couldn't wait to get home to tell everyone etc. Was also happy she liked the ring I picked out as I was quite concerned a month back.

Now its wedding plans. She had been playing it cool, but tonight, 6 days after the proposal, she's been looking into local wedding venues, with the intention for us to go round looking at them this month "just to look". Like jellybean, head is spinning!
  • Congrats Mike. Seems everyone is getting engaged these days and

3r0n05.jpg

A good friend back home just got engaged to her missus as well.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Right. Wedding rings guys. We've just spent hours looking at expensive uninspiring rings.  What did you lot do? I have just had the idea of buying some pure gold and making our own. A quick web search has a place in Hatton Gardens London that spends the day with you for £150 each person and you make the ring yourself. Gold is approx £30 a gram and I just found a dealer selling it for £39 per gram, so for approx £350 each we could have pure gold bands with a bit of meaning behind them instead of the crap 9ct rings that the high street is trying to sell you for £500+ each.  We also have some old gold that can be melted down, so it could be even cheaper.  Any opinions? Edit We wouldnt be wearing the rings at all times so the soft nature of pure gold is not really an issue.

Can't remember what part of the country you're in fella but we travelled down to the jewellery quarter in Brum for the wife's engagement ring. Most places have workshops in the back so they'll pretty much make you a bespoke ring.
  • I'm in London. 
    Brums not too far but as the missus is from Hong Kong we will probably go there for a honeymoon (and on to somewhere else in Asia) in the near future that's apparently when she wants me to fork out for a engagement ring, it will be considerably cheaper in HK/Asia. 
    I am awaiting reply from the make your own ring people but I will keep Brum in mind if they can't accommodate us.
  • Wedding venue browsing today, looking forward to seeing some, if only it would calm down the other half a bit and stop being in research mode constantly, bless her.

Our mind set is that the money we can save over the next 2 years is much better off being put towards a house deposit rather than a spectacular wedding. We have only a small family and a close group of friends so guest wise we are looking at around 50-60, no church required so just the venue and the surrounding costs etc. We already have a photographer and cake maker sorted at no cost.

So we are going in with budget in mind, although i'm more inclined to pay out more to get away from some of compulsory budget choices. One venue we are looking at tomorrow only allow one choice of a menu for example, but I don't exactly want to have everyone forced to have a vegetarian meal just because a few of our guests are vegetarian for example.
  • Aaron your wife is tidy.... just sayin.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!