Getting Married...
  • Yeah the flat is always clean
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Well mine is set. 24th May. 
    Going to go and make the rings next Saturday. 
    We have done the intent to marry thing at the registry office. I got lady pantyfires birthday wrong yet again. But I am sure they don't think she is a forced marriage or something.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Did the wedding ring experience day today and it was brilliant fun.
    http://www.weddingringworkshop.co.uk/cms.php?content_id=14

The guys working there were fantastic, a really nice bunch of friendly people who really made the day. 
    I couldn't recommend it highly enough for anyone who was looking for something slightly more meaningful than going H Samuels especially if you have some old jewelrey that you can take along with you to melt down. 
    Whole thing cost £450 for two rings a bit of food and some plonk.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We've found our location in Peebles and are just waiting for the menu options to be sent.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    We've found our location in Peebles and are just waiting for the menu options to be sent.

Have you set a date?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, waiting to see price first
  • We are booking our venue tomorrow...and in a space of a week its gone from being 2015 to next year! Gota save hard but somehow she;s talked me into it. I love the venue though, was far more excited than I expected actually.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    We've got venues pinned down (just gotta pay the deposit) and I bought my suit and shoes yesterday. 

6 months ETA. Pooling the money is gonna be TOUGH.
  • just over 3 months to the big day for me and future Mrs Steelwood.  that's if i'm allowed to go, as my daughter keeps telling me "you won't be allowed to go to Mammy's wedding mind" if ever i'm 'naughty' (ie. telling her off)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Why do people get married? 

I know it sounds retarded, but I do not get it. Not even slightly. I can disagree with things people do but have some notion of why they do it, but not this. I'm not saying it's bad, mainly because I find it so perplexing I'm afraid to have any say of something that I do not remotely understand.
  • You must know some of the reasons
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Because they love each other and want to raise a family together?
  • Our wedding is now being put back to 2015 again due to a new arrival due towards the end of this year :)
  • Because they love each other and want to raise a family together?

Well, I suspect this is the angle that spacegazelle is getting at. Marriage, apart from pressure from certain religious angles and older generations, has no real baring on how much people love each other. And there's no biological reason you can't have a child out of wedlock, obviously.

I, for instance, am in fact in love with my girlfriend, and as we've been living together for 4 years, are just about afforded all the same legal rights as a married couple, and we have a baby due in September.

So then, a cheeky question: Why should we get married, goober?

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Did I know you were preggas, Face?
    Either way congrats!

To me marriage would just be a display of "yes, to me you're the one person I want to spend the rest of my life with" to her and all the people we know and that's good enough.
    Plus I'd hope she's super hot and you know you gotta lock that shit down.
  • Facewon wrote:

Well, I suspect this is the angle that spacegazelle is getting at. Marriage, apart from pressure from certain religious angles and older generations, has no real baring on how much people love each other. And there's no biological reason you can't have a child out of wedlock, obviously.

I, for instance, am in fact in love with my girlfriend, and as we've been living together for 4 years, are just about afforded all the same legal rights as a married couple, and we have a baby due in September.

So then, a cheeky question: Why should we get married, goober?

Face, you must get yourself into the kids thread!!

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • @mike: congrats.

@shabby: Only mentioned in a couple of threads in passing. So easily missed. Cheers.

@rev: I will in due course.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Well, I suspect this is the angle that spacegazelle is getting at. Marriage, apart from pressure from certain religious angles and older generations, has no real baring on how much people love each other. And there's no biological reason you can't have a child out of wedlock, obviously. I, for instance, am in fact in love with my girlfriend, and as we've been living together for 4 years, are just about afforded all the same legal rights as a married couple, and we have a baby due in September. So then, a cheeky question: Why should we get married, goober?

Congratulations.

Never said you should, just said it is one reason why people do. Just to be cheeky, why shouldn't you?
  • Ok, time to expand, the rhetoricals will get silly otherwise. ;)

tbh, I'm semi-ambivelent to the idea of marriage. The missus and I will get married in due course. Not actually completely against the idea, and certainly enjoy weddings, and the communal party vibe. Been to lots of lovely weddings over the course of my life. And the wedding anniversaries of my grand parents and parents have been awesome days too. (Grandparents cracked 50 years before RIP Grandma xoxoxox. My parents are sitting on 40+, their 40th was a great day.)

I also recall that Pinker makes a pretty good case for the civilising effect of marriage on young men in western countries in Better Angels. . . .

I would argue that a more enlightened society could kind of get the same results a different way, but heck, if a proportion of the population see it as an extra pressure to keep them from running amok and waving their willies around and punching people in the fuck for no reason, then ok sure.

The missus and I have largely made our decisions for pragmatic/financial reasons. We're not made of money, and we're not getting any younger. A car, a dog, a trip to Europe and a baby all have taken precedence over the cost of a wedding. There is also, for me, a slight pressure in that it will not be in a church. This will lead to some fairly delicate conversations with my Mum (who is a priest). It'll be fine, and a lot of things are understood between us without being said, but yeah. . .

Also, and this is a complete post hoc rationalisation, but we've talked about not getting married until my girlfriend's 2 close gay friends can too. I really feel for one them in particular, she's ex-JW, damn it's a messy sitcho for her.

Anyhoo.
  • Do you actually want to marry this woman and spend the rest of your life with her Face?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Don't get uming and ahing about getting married confused with uming and ahing about whether I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

There's no question of us breaking up any time I can forsee. We're in for the long hawl.
  • Also note I said "our" decisions.

Also note we didn't just get accidently pregnant.
  • THEN MARRY HER FOR FUCK SAKE.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • :D
  • Why?

EDIT: I can't see the second post.
  • BECAUSE I SAID SO
  • Good enough.
  • I have an Aunty and Uncle who have never married each other. They are the most loving couple, absolutely perfect for each other and 100% happy.

They both came from abbusive marriages (thats right men can be the victims of maritial abuse too).

If I ever found the love that they have for each other I would die a happy man.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Also note I said "our" decisions. Also note we didn't just get accidently pregnant.
    Ok but you are only making a commitment to the child not eachother by not accidentally getting pregnant. I was just surprised when you said a dog and trip to Europe were more important than a wedding. The car and baby I can understand.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!