PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Panty and gamer, why not jut go to a registry office and spend the allocated money on the reception? Also on the ring front I would highly recommend speaking or finding someone who makes rings for a living and doing it that way. They are less likely to charge the markup and you can have them made more personally. I spent 3k on my wife's engagement ring but would have cost 5/6k in a shop.
    I didn't plan my proposal so we went ring shopping a week afterwards. I had a budget of about £300 but she picked a 2nd hand vintage ring that only cost £80! Looks lovely though and I promised to get her earrings to match due to it being so cheap.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Cheers mate, I actually can't wait... Anyone have any tips for the grooms speech?
    Tradition dictates you keep it brief. I made mine up on the spot, which probably showed, but who cares.

Probably for the best. I wrote mine out and read it, I remember sounding stilted and dull. I should have just made it up as I went.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I went for make it up. I forgot stuff.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I went for make it up. I forgot stuff.

I did make up a little bit. Ended up thanking someone I shouldn't have. That ended up upsetting my dad.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I will probably just make some pointers (who to thank etc.) but not actually write out the whole thing.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Write your speech down exactly as you want to say it, rehearse it a few times, and then make notes that you can use rather than reading it verbatim from the sheet.  Using small cards can help as if you are nervous you might get a nervous hand shake, which will be exaggerated by holding a sheet of A4 and could make you even more self concious and nervous.  If you do use cards make sure that they are fixed in order (with a key ring split ring for example) otherwise you might end up getting them mixed up and lose your order, which will throw you.

I made sure I had a glass of water at my table when I was doing my speech for two reasons. Firstly I can get a little nervous when public speaking which can cause me to get a dry mouth and makes it more difficult to speak clearly.  Secondly, you can use it as a slight distraction technique.  If you loose your place or forget what you were going to say a pause of a few seconds can seem odd to the audience, but if you are taking a sip of your water at the time it looks perfectly normal, and gives you a few seconds to regain your composure.

In my speech I talked about how I first met my wife, thanked her mother and father and how great their daughter is etc. (you HAVE TO say how beautiful your wife is at some point).  I thanked the bridesmaids and flower girls, the ushers and all the people that have travelled from far away for turning up.  I spoke about the best man, and how he lives in a fantasy world, but just to go along with his speech because he gets upset when people think he is making things up.  I then finished up talking about my wife again, how happy I was to be married etc.  Took just over 5 minutes I think.

I had my speeches before the meal, my brother was so nervous about doing the best man speech that he wouldn't have eaten a thing during the meal, also you have everyone in their seats at the start of the meal, at the end you need to round them up from the toilets/smoking area/bar etc.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the day and don't let the little things stress you on the day.  Everyone is there to wish you the best and share in your celebrations, they either won't notice or won't care if a few things aren't perfect,
  • So, bought an engagement ring a couple months back. Got it for a price I can just about afford (well, will just about afford when I can pay my parents back...) in Hatton Gardens- a great little place that gave me near wholesale prices, and I can't wait to finally pop the question. We've been together over 8 years, living together 2: is it still customary to ask her father for his blessing?

I had this in mind, but my mother told me it seems quite old fashioned, and maybe more a religious thing (which we're not), and maybe she would want to know before her parents?

The ring will be under the tree this week, ready for Christmas eve when we both get impatient and open a present early. She's been asking about a Christmas wedding all week out of the blue, and her friends are randomly getting engaged all over the place, making her question why we haven't had these discussions yet... It's been bloody impossible keeping it a secret.

Edit: and these prices are scaring the shit out of me. I'll probably need to get out extra from my mortgage for this!
  • That's genius Cosmic, the xmas thing.

Asking the father would be a move I would make, providing he is going to say yes anyway. If not then forget him.
    Isn't tradition to spend 1 months wages on an engagement ring?
  • Yeah, I hear all different versions of that. The people telling me its 3 months wages can obviously fuck right off. Some horror was telling my girlfriend she expects 6!! 

I don't doubt he'll say yes (her dad), so maybe your right. Seems the right thing to do.

My girlfriend wanted me I propose with a thimble, knowing we can't really afford a ring. I have that in the box too. Hopefully apple shares raise up again in January and I can just get shot of those for some extra to pay my parents back,and start saving up.
  • 6!!!
    Anyone who could afford half their salary on a ring is an over payed cunt.
  • I walked into a few places over the last few months, some of the rings there I was looking at were about half my salary.i was shit at hiding my gasps when I asked the price. Apparently they were the more affordable ones. Never really thought about my wage until this point. I think a months wage seems very fair, month and a half tops. The story from vastik about picking out a ring made me feel warm inside, seemed really quite meaningful.
    Our friends recently got engaged and he got the ring from de beers. Thought I'd check them out...

Bloody hell.
  • I feel the engagement ring says a hell of a lot about the relationship. From what I have seen/heard a modest or more thought out engagement ring results in a happier marriage as opposed to spending silly money.

Roughly £13k is minimum wage, 6 months would mean, minimum £6.5k, that is silly money. 
    I don't want to judge anyone but a good couple would be happier putting that towards a house/family imo.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    6!!! Anyone who could afford half their salary on a ring is an over payed cunt.

No one could actually afford 6 months wages for a ring, anyone who spends 6 months wage is just a stupid cunt.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I will admit I did spend a little bit more than a months wage when I bought the engagement ring, but I had been saving up for 6 months, and then came into a bit of cash so I felt a bit flush at the time.
  • Anyway, good luck, enjoy the day and don't let the little things stress you on the day.  Everyone is there to wish you the best and share in your celebrations, they either won't notice or won't care if a few things aren't perfect,
    All great advice, but especially this.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The ring I bought was just over £1k, the 'rules' said I should have spent a lot more than that, but I didn't because the one I got was exactly what I wanted and anything dearer looked like the kind of thing Zsa Zsa Gabor would have saved for a special occasion.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Also, my Sister in law made our wedding bands out of the raw metal so they were cheap (relatively) as well.
  • I didn't ask the father in law either. I think it's out dated and unnecessary. My wife isn't an object to be traded.
  • If there's any financial expectation attached to the purchase of the engagement ring, you might as well not bother getting married.
  • Yeah, the more people I check this with, the more I think she should be asked first. It's more of a 'asking for his blessing' than 'can I have your daughter?' But it really is just for him and me thinking he might like the tradition. Then I think I shouldn't be thinking about him, because its all about her.

It is absolutely about the ring, and what it means, not about the price. But to be honest, if you go for something quite classic and vintage, it always looks beautiful, from £50-£2000. All that changes is the materials (I did go for diamond, as I know it's her one chance to own one, and she oohs at them in shop windows).
  • I personally want these...
    zelda-wedding-rings.jpg
  • If there's any financial expectation attached to the purchase of the engagement ring, you might as well not bother getting married.

Point of agreement number 2.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You said its all about her, do you have any idea if she would want you to ask her dad or not?  It may be massively important to her, may not matter at all although unless you already know it could be quite tricky to find out without giving the game away.  Sorry for being no use at all :)
  • You said its all about her, do you have any idea if she would want you to ask her dad or not?  It may be massively important to her, may not matter at all although unless you already know it could be quite tricky to find out without giving the game away.  Sorry for being no use at all :)

I know one girl who would have been furious if her father had been asked.
  • I asked based purely on her Dad being very traditional, he really appreciated the gesture. It's all dependent on the individuals involved.

Cheers for some excellent advice on here guys, the speech is pretty much sorted, all written down and ready for the prompt cards. My brother-in-law had a great speech at his wedding, and turned the pausing for a sip into a running joke. Great stuff.

I completely agree with the recommendation of just having a great day and I am beginning to get really excited now.

Ten days tomorrow.
  • Cool. How is the wifetobe holding up?
  • She is getting ridiculously excited about it all. Her school had a special hen do afternoon tea after school today, including giving us some of the items off the wedding list. This has sent her into a ridiculous bout of hyperness.
  • I've just ordered the engagement ring. 

I took a lot of time and effort on my own to research the shit out of everything there is to know about engagement rings - its a fucking minefield. I've known for a long while what my gf's preference would be, so that made it a little easier. I haven't broken the balance, although I have been putting money aside for the past 3-4 months.

I'm planning on popping the question on New Years, not sure how yet but I have arranged a three day West End break which she'll enjoy.

I am definitely going to ask her parents permission as I think it would be a little weird not to, I think they kind of expect that. It has been brought up in previous conversations and I certainly think its polite, even if it is old school.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If it makes her/them happy then it's no skin off your nose. Sure it's weird and old fashioned but the whole thing is so you might as well get used to it.
  • Rehersal done. Reception venue has been decorated. Family is in the hotel that is very similar to Fawlty Towers. One night to go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!