Evil satan tory bastards
  • I've cast no aspersions as to how you're interpreting altruism.
  • Thing that always troubles me about any kind of welfare dismantling/scaleback is that there's kind of a reason it expanded in the first instance - more people were failing, or felt they were failing.

"Bootstraps" sentiments have no useful answer to that.
  • Problem is it expands slowly, slowly, then suddenly gets whipped away.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Swype is writing proles instead of people. It's like the i ching.
  • When a plant can't photosynthesise it is fucked.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed the requirements haven't changed however its scope has. We identify more vulnerable people now and we find it impossible to actually give 'weight' to what is necessary welfare and what isn't.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • It'll push people deeper into poverty, which in turn will lead to more crime, but now there'll be less police officers to deal with it, so to compensate we're now allowed to bludgeon trespassers to death. Big society.
  • "Big Society" is what I'm calling the next weapon I get in a game that lets me name my own weapon.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    BFS 9000.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've cast no aspersions as to how you're interpreting altruism.

I'm not interpreting anything. I'm using the term correctly. Particularly as I deliberately said altruism in the true sense and not simply using it because it sounds good when what I really mean is being nice.
  • Kow wrote:
    Swype is writing proles instead of people. It's like the i ching.

Autocorrect on my phone once changed something incredibly prosaic into 'gas the Serbs'
  • Altruismis the wrong word,it means giving while expecting absolutely nothing back, hoping for ir or getting it

I used the wrong word, quite badly

I think i just meant the milk of human kindness and just a touch of empathy, shown by all folks

Unworkable
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Communism is the opposite. It's giving because you expect, need, to get back.
  • I think marxist communism was entirely against that mentality, but it did require an entirely new paradigm for society, one that could never be realised without some sorta mass epiphany
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah violence.
  • Violence for sure, because it would involve revolution, and revolution without puppeteers. Unworkable
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Communism is just another form of governance. As I said earlier.
  • Communism is just a word.

(But if the government turn over
    It'll be the only word that's heard)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I never vote nationally because I forget/don't have time to do research on the actual policies and background of the running cabinets and I feel it's worse voting with little knowledge than it is not to vote.

Locally i'm a typical voter as it's easier to tell how much of a bellend each one is from which patch of land they're trying to protect/sell.
  • Kow wrote:
    Communism is just another form of governance. As I said earlier.

Different governance describes an entire social paradigm, look at democracy versus dictatorship

Communism is  a bit more than how the governance operates
  • For what it's worth (not much) I tend to take the view that most people are basically altruistic when dealing with individuals.  Most people will help a stranger, if there's no-one else around to help them, with no particular expectation of reward.  I've seen that more often than not.  (And yes, we can debate the true definition of altruism, perhaps they're helping in the hope they'll be helped in the same situation, or doing it for some kind of rosy self satisfaction, but certainly with no expectation of material reward...)

The problem I find is that communities are generally not altruistic.  They're self preserving and self serving, often fiercely so.  Individual people are fine.  Groups of people however, are capable of treating "other" groups appallingly.  Systems and institutions are equally guilty of this, and Government especially so.  

As others have said, we've previously had a kind of push and pull - Tories would be incumbent and drive the agenda of the privileged, creating more wealth, but screwing the poor, then they'd eventually get kicked out, and Labour would drive the agenda of those who are perhaps less privileged, and redistribute some of that wealth, usually leading to them being quickly booted out again.  Both were inherently self serving, but served essentially opposing communities, leading to a curious sort of balance.  New Labour completely buggered up that status quo however and now we're even further out.  I'm not entirely sure how we pull it back - I think one of two things will happen.  Either enough people will get screwed over that a truly left wing party will become a viable election winner again.  Or, the current rhetoric aimed at blaming your slightly poorer neighbour will snowball, and we'll slide further to the right still.  Naturally the former really doesn't serve Tory interests, so they will to point at the poor, the sick, and immigrants as the cause of our suffering whilst continuing to quietly line their pockets.
  • The Tories are not evil, though they are a bit stupid. The English are exactly the same, as a majority, so that's why they vote them in. It's a depressingly simple state of affairs,
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Surely Communism has been completely discredited by now. The states that still nominally practice it are paying lip service at best. I'm not sure why it's even still talked about.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    For what it's worth (not much) I tend to take the view that most people are basically altruistic when dealing with individuals.  Most people will help a stranger, if there's no-one else around to help them, with no particular expectation of reward.  I've seen that more often than not.  (And yes, we can debate the true definition of altruism, perhaps they're helping in the hope they'll be helped in the same situation, or doing it for some kind of rosy self satisfaction, but certainly with no expectation of material reward...)

I see it more that people are altruistic when they can afford to be. Being nice when it doesn't severely disadvantage them. What I don't think is possible is for people to continue that when push comes to shove. You're not going give the last bit of bread in the cupboard to a stranger and tell your family to go hungry. Which is why the state has to come in and force redistribution in every flavour of governance.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Surely Communism has been completely discredited by now. The states that still nominally practice it are paying lip service at best. I'm not sure why it's even still talked about.

It's not discredited its malpractised, china, russia or n.korea have never been communist as the works of marx dictated, the word itself has been polluted and is now a derogatory term, without realising why its a derogatory term or why it shouldnt be

its a terrible state of affairs but irreversible sadly
  • Oh it has been. That doesn't undermine the use of Marx's observations, fortunately. Whether anyone tries to glean something of socio-economic organisational worth to be applied hence from them is, well, guess we'll see.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    @Cuckoo

I see where you're coming from but I have a heard time giving much credence to the idea that it definitely definitely would work if people would only do it right.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    For what it's worth (not much) I tend to take the view that most people are basically altruistic when dealing with individuals.  Most people will help a stranger, if there's no-one else around to help them, with no particular expectation of reward.  I've seen that more often than not.  (And yes, we can debate the true definition of altruism, perhaps they're helping in the hope they'll be helped in the same situation, or doing it for some kind of rosy self satisfaction, but certainly with no expectation of material reward...)
    I see it more that people are altruistic when they can afford to be. Being nice when it doesn't severely disadvantage them. What I don't think is possible is for people to continue that when push comes to shove. You're not going give the last bit of bread in the cupboard to a stranger and tell your family to go hungry. Which is why the state has to come in and force redistribution in every flavour of governance.

the whole definition of altruism is of completely selfless giving, anything else is not altruistic, you might be charitable to help something you might benefit from, but the word altruism is an absolutely pure concept - you help with absolutely no gain to yourself

interestingly the only recorded (afaik) instances of altruism have beenin rats bringing feed to each other with no realbenefit to themselves, funny thought
  • Mod74 wrote:
    it definitely definitely would work if people would only do it right.

yeah,its unworkable, cause people are selfish pigs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!