theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    When was the last time you did something altruistic?
  • It is but it's down to self awareness that is hard to suggest on a social level, especially when it could take generations, centuries, to 'love out' all the crap the have going on to find a measure of that

Obviously true altruism is a harsh term, but an ability to love and not judge first, instead of after, would be a nice trick for humankind to assume
  • My anecdotes are pretty irrelevant .
  • Although when people say they don't believe in altruism I think it says something about their character.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    When was the last time you did something altruistic?

nothing's altruistic in its most solid sense, but love and strong support, despite reservations is a nice start

which is something i do very often
  • Although when people say they don't believe in altruism I think it says something about their character.

i dont agree, the word altruism needs to be qualified, at its most extreme definition it cannot be met, but its general spirit can be, i believe in that
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So altruism is possible as long as someone else goes first. Gotcha.
  • Who are you replying to mod, either to me or noxy that response was irrelevant

As long as they don't make with the Rand quotes, I think we're ooookay.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Communism has very little to do with altruism. It's just a way of organising the economy. It may be based on some sense of equality but I don't think it expects altruism from people. In fact it begins with violence.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed this all got Rand about a page ago and so I am out.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Beano we have to keep the idiots away from the machines don't you see
  • Foul old girl as she was, "non-entity" is a choice jibe.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Although when people say they don't believe in altruism I think it says something about their character.

And when they pinch peoples stuff and keep quiet in the face of racism to protect their own hide instead of speaking up in defence of a co-worker that says something about their character as well.

Your anecdotes might be irrelevant but they are quite telling about the selfish and most definitely not altruistic nature of human beings.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Just to be clear, Marxism doesn't depend on anything. That's why I am out.

Like communism, great in theory.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Kow wrote:
    Communism has very little to do with altruism. It's just a way of organising the economy. It may be based on some sense of equality but I don't think it expects altruism from people. In fact it begins with violence.

It doesnt imply altrusim no, but it does however rely on respect on one another and a lack of greed, and henceforth a concern for ones common man. Maybe altruism was the wrong word
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It doesn't imply those things at all, it's just another system of governance.
  • It's more like self-interest broadened to recognise how the quality of lives of others impacts your own.
  • ffs, Mod, I'm not going to start chasing you around in debate. It's like trying to show the dog a vacuum cleaner.
  • You just put it in their line of sight, piece of piss.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    It's more like self-interest broadened to recognise how the quality of lives of others impacts your own.

Yeah, I like that.
  • Well, yes it does, because making communism would imply a social phenomenon that clearly didnt happen in currently 'communist' countries, which is why those countries are kind of fucked. The phenomenon didnt happen, and it relies a lot on awareness of society and your value and place in it

Theres the whole idea of hegemony, that a successful communist government would work under a new paradigm.

Well they dont
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This shit don't work. Anyway Tories this tweet made me laugh.
    Tory conf clearly a festival of capitalist realism. "Britain can't afford its welfare state". No: what it can't afford is its ruling class
  • Kow wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    It's more like self-interest broadened to recognise how the quality of lives of others impacts your own.
    Yeah, I like that.

Altrusim? in its harshest human sense, yes
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    beano wrote:
    This shit don't work. Anyway Tories this tweet made me laugh.
    Tory conf clearly a festival of capitalist realism. "Britain can't afford its welfare state". No: what it can't afford is its ruling class

Quoting self for page turn shenanigans.
  • Did like that guy's Capitalist Realism thesis. It has a leg or two.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    ffs, Mod, I'm not going to start chasing you around in debate. It's like trying to show the dog a vacuum cleaner.

Do what you like, however I'd appreciate it if you didn't cast aspersions on my character without any knowledge whatsoever.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    kpunk = Keynesian punk? Maybe.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!