Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one.

Fuckin Venus tho lads!  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24467635

Its the protomolicule. Its happening....

Where are the crew of the Rocinante when you need them?

HOLDEN GET TO VENUS ASAP!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was about to say this lol. About the right end to 2020 Tbf.
  • if we open our eyes and allow ourselves to dream, to think from first principles and remove restraints on innovation placed on us by the scientific conventions and assumptions from prior generations.
    If we allow ourselves to think bullshit WE CAN ACHIEVE ANYTHING!

Hey it worked out alright for Johnson in the election. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to stare at my mood board and positive think this gravity lensing engine into reality.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one.
    Fuckin Venus tho lads!  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24467635
    Its the protomolicule. Its happening.... Where are the crew of the Rocinante when you need them? HOLDEN GET TO VENUS ASAP!

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Pardon?
    Sorry. Simply put, Unlikely especially, claims to take exception to topics of conversation that are poorly researched, yet here, he's dismissed a pretty interesting contribution to a topic of conversation out of hand, with scant investigation. It actually does appear to be an area of active research (look up professor Sara Seager), and has direct relevance to our current line of conversation. So why are we dismissing the contribution as "nonsense"? Well... Getting into that wouldn't be directly relevant to the fucking topic, frankly. Just as it would waste time to highlight where Dante's insulted anyone, because fucks alive, I never said he did. But I am calling him out for defending Unlikely's position. Again, not directly relevant. Professor Seager though probably is.

Also amused to see a quick Google over a silly internet argument from over a year ago, appears to have cited a name which may soon be a well known one.

http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1635411#Comment_1635411
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • IN YOUR FACE UNLIKELY YOU DUMBASS
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • JOKE'S ON YOU I'M ALREADY WELL KNOWN SO LEGALLY FUCK YOUR EAR GONZO
  • I'm just going to suggest that anyone Googling silly arguments from a year ago would be better served trying to find a better use for their time, because life is pretty damn short innit.
    ...Unless of course cat pics are involved, in which case, it's probably ok.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Blimey, just read a few pages of that. Great stuff.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • g.man wrote:
    I'm just going to suggest that anyone Googling silly arguments from a year ago would be better served trying to find a better use for their time, because life is pretty damn short innit.
    ...Unless of course cat pics are involved, in which case, it's probably ok.

Yeah I would never do that
  • heh.
  • Top memories though. I can't remember what I posted yesterday.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Some shite no doubt!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    What about Bob?

Ah, we agreed no filming.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Must say, you guys have a high bar for weird. These were uploaded anonymously in 2011, and not a dicky about debunking their validity.

SFX and remote viewing analysis here:

• Wait a minute. I assumed you were posting these for a laugh? You’re not actually claiming this is footage of real aliens are you?
    There just aren’t enough facepalm memes in the universe for this occasion.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    About the same level of ridiculous as the autopsy video. Might as well bother trying to disprove moon is made of cheese.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Why are your conclusions based on something I haven’t said or posted?
  • I gave that SFX expert video a minute.
    He is absolutely full of shit.

There are so many things he has wrong.

Straight away "the only way to do the blink is through motion tracking otherwise it would be robotic"
    So there is a way to do it in CG by his admission but even then that ignores the ability of animators and reduced a century old craft to "robotic".

He talks about skin stretching and deforming. Again this is entirely possible. Skeleton rigs have muscles attached and then a skin layer applied over the top, just like in reality. What is difficult is to get correct deformation of all the pores and small lines or cracks on the surface of the skin, that isnt seen here though because as always in the super high tech environments the only camera available is a potato from 1964.

"Why don't we see this in video games?" Because videogames render in real time, same reason they don't look as good as blockbuster movies.

He talks complete drivel.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tell us about how you would go about creating the above footage and show some similar examples that stand the same scrutiny.
  • Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That is not it.
  • Christ I'm in here again.
  • Make 3d model of alien in zbrush.
    Rig it, create muscle groups with unusually high density around the face, skin weight it.
    Animate it.

To go into more detail than that is effectively writing out a university module. I can tell you it is more than possible though and the bits that are tough have been distorted by artificially poor quality footage.

I cant give a similar example because nobody else would waste their time on such junk.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Red Dead Redemption had that skin/muscle effect in 2010, on a horse's arse appropriately enough
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    So if the footage was from sometime between 1942-1969, filmed on a military base using a 8mm-16mm camera would it look like that?
  • This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the world is and a total failure to understand scientific method and the way society functions. 

Governments spend billions of dollars on equipment to look for molecules on distant planets in the hope of finding the possible signitures of life on distant worlds. If only they had looked at the skinny bob vid it would've saved them all that bother.
  • Like Liv, I started watching the first video but I stopped after 2:30. The guy doing the analysis isn't someone who works in VFX, he's just some guy guy saying how because there is motion and the eyelids look like they're blinking normally and that there's a lot of 3d texture on the forehead that it's real footage. 

It's on in the background while I'm typing and now he's talking about how VFX aren't in a place where they can fool people (video is from 2017) and says how he plays video games and even the best attempts don't look like a real image. He doesn't talk about anything with any depth at all. He talks about how real the flesh looks, but he doesn't talk about any kind of shortfalls in things like sub surface scattering for light, or problems with wrinkling or upper lip movement and stuff that contribute to humanoid things not looking quite right if you don't get them right. He doesn't have any credentials at all, he just says I know SFX and I play a lot of high end video games. 

I mean, this video is from 2011, the same year as skinny bob and you can see the uncanny valley effect, but if the subject had most of their face in shadow, didn't talk, and wasn't trying to replicate an actual human and the footage was then subject to being made B&W and having a whole load of noise, artifacts and downscaling passes, you'd be extremely close to the skinny bob video imho. Not saying this is how the skinny bob video was done, but it's a contemporary example of what was happening at the time. 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SG, I understand the scientific method, big fan. Parts of governments fund some research but spend a whole lot more on weapons.
  • SG, I understand the scientific method, big fan. Parts of governments fund some research but spend a whole lot more on weapons.

You really don't. If you did we wouldn't be talking about skinny bob.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!