Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Can't believe I'm being cancelled by the so called "tolerant" left for my views on UFOs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • PageChamp
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    @BHD ...The thing that I always come back to when thinking about any alien stuff is "Why?".  Lightning strikes don't down that many man made planes as it is. Lightning strikes are not a serious hazard when flying, typically planes fly around storms because it's the turbulence that will damage the wings or engines that is the thing being avoided. I doubt lightning strikes have ever downed a UFO.  Why would aliens need to do an atmospheric flight over a military base to snoop on it? We don't even do that, we use a big zoom camera strapped to a satellite in orbit most of the time. Or we fly a plane at insanely high altitude above the range at which it can either be detected or intercepted if it is detectable. I'm all for a good global conspiracy where aliens have made contact with humans and governments have made contact and everything is kept secret and we are trading something with them in exchange for the rest of us carrying on our normal daily lives in blissful ignorance, but the older I get, the less sense any of that makes sense when you start to scratch the surface. When I was in my late teens and even into my early 20s I was well into moon landing conspiracy shit and roswell and rods and all that stuff. But the older I get and the more I learn about things, the less any of it stands up to any kind of scrutiny for me. I want there to be aliens out there, I don't want to think that humanity is for all intents and purposes alone in the galaxy, I think for a lot of people aliens coming down and fixing all our problems/occupying all our collective attention is probably a legit source of cope for some people for all the terrible things that happen. I just can't do all the skinny bob type shit anymore, it requires such a complete divergence from logical thought for any of it to be real....

Logic doesn’t dismiss anything able to fly to stop flying. 

If there’s a field of energy surrounding a craft I guess that could be affected by lightning of another planet and it gets stormy some nights in Arizona.

Yes we take pictures from far away, sometimes because we can’t get there. Scientists send probes (some UFO’s are in probability) but going on a field trip to get samples is often preferable?

Personally don’t have any immediate problems needed to be solved by space people, but that may change!
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Silly aliens forgetting lightning.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Constantly feel like this thread is one post away from Qanon
  • We're all heading for algogeddeon.
  • Field of energy around a UFO being disrupted vs lightning strike. 

Field of energy around a UFO being disrupted vs solar flare with no atmosphere between you and the sun.

This is what I mean when I talked about scratching the surface and having things fall apart. We can all hypothesise about how lightning might bring down a UFO, but if you're doing an interstellar travel, lightning strikes are not the type of massive electrical discharge you need to be worrying about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Constantly feel like this thread is one post away from Qanon

I've got a pal who spouts that crap on WhatsApp. First time I've seen the name
  • The best part of all the Q stuff is that it just folds back into the age old narrative of Good Aliens vs Bad Aliens that has been the bedrock of all conspiracy theories for decades.
  • Tempy wrote:
    What it does demonstrate, is how the ridiculous beliefs of the Qanon'ers and other such groups, are curated and spoon-fed by algorithms on platforms like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
    A steady diet of absolute nonsense is quite literally poisoning the minds of an ever-increasing amount of the population immersed in these platforms.
    Much of it, while a bit depressing, is harmless, but it does show how easy it is to manipulate the will of the people, and before you know it, elections are being rigged on the same basis, nobody is fact checking anything any more, and virtually any old nonsense is believed to be fact.
    It's the real downward spiral.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Silly aliens forgetting lightning.

Depends if they knew about it in the first place. That giant wave caught us out in Interstellar.
  • g.man wrote:
    What it does demonstrate, is how the ridiculous beliefs of the Qanon'ers and other such groups, are curated and spoon-fed by algorithms on platforms like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. A steady diet of absolute nonsense is quite literally poisoning the minds of an ever-increasing amount of the population immersed in these platforms. Much of it, while a bit depressing, is harmless, but it does show how easy it is to manipulate the will of the people, and before you know it, elections are being rigged on the same basis, nobody is fact checking anything any more, and virtually any old nonsense is believed to be fact. It's the real downward spiral.

It's not just the far right or the far left, it's all of us. We're all being subtly nudged.
  • g.man wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    What it does demonstrate, is how the ridiculous beliefs of the Qanon'ers and other such groups, are curated and spoon-fed by algorithms on platforms like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
    A steady diet of absolute nonsense is quite literally poisoning the minds of an ever-increasing amount of the population immersed in these platforms.
    Much of it, while a bit depressing, is harmless, but it does show how easy it is to manipulate the will of the people, and before you know it, elections are being rigged on the same basis, nobody is fact checking anything any more, and virtually any old nonsense is believed to be fact.
    It's the real downward spiral.

I'm so depressed, this is so true. I think we might be fucked honestly.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Silly aliens forgetting lightning.
      Depends if they knew about it in the first place. That giant wave caught us out in Interstellar.

Yes because they don't have electrons in space.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We also have a tedious habit of only looking for stuff that reinforces an opinion we have formed.  And it appears that the time taken to form an opinion means fuck all too.

That combined with YT algorithms etc only hammer the madness home even further.

Critical thinking as a method should be mandatory in schools. Would knock all this shit on the head.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • g.man wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    What it does demonstrate, is how the ridiculous beliefs of the Qanon'ers and other such groups, are curated and spoon-fed by algorithms on platforms like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. A steady diet of absolute nonsense is quite literally poisoning the minds of an ever-increasing amount of the population immersed in these platforms. Much of it, while a bit depressing, is harmless, but it does show how easy it is to manipulate the will of the people, and before you know it, elections are being rigged on the same basis, nobody is fact checking anything any more, and virtually any old nonsense is believed to be fact. It's the real downward spiral.

Jaron Lanier's your man for this stuff. I won't post another vid to risk firebombing the entire forum.
  • I read a bunch of Lanier's stuff when I did some part time work at Iso. Siren Servers innit.
    g.man wrote:

I am glad that I hate myself already because it would be so easy to blame everyone else for all my problems and go full Qanon.
  • davyK wrote:
    Critical thinking as a method should be mandatory in schools. Would knock all this shit on the head.

It'll help a bit but only a bit. As long as social media uses a manipulation algo we're in trouble. Everyone thinks they're not affected by it but we all are. That's why it works so well. Free is not free and we should learn to start paying for stuff. Then we become the customers and not the product.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But knowing that can help enormously. Surely? This gen is more or less fucked of course.

Youtube actually becomes very boring very quickly if you are signed in with your gmail account.
  • It's important to recognise the algorithms and resist being led by them at all costs. A first and easy step is to eliminate all advertising from your life. If you want to really learn and understand something you will need to do the proper research work and search carefully, not just let youtube or any other commercial entity spoon feed you what it reckons you like to watch and read.
  • Surely what you mean is that your Youtube becomes more boring when you're signed in with you're gmail account. For others it will be a terrifying niche of content carved exactly for them.

The Amigara Fault of content.
  • davyK wrote:
    But knowing that can help enormously. Surely? This gen is more or less fucked of course. Youtube actually becomes very boring very quickly if you are signed in with your gmail account.

Sorry for posting this again. Last time I promise.

Also don't buy a Quest. It won't be long before they get eye tracking and when FB get a hold of that data we're really fucked.
  • Yeah I use YT's recommended feed occasionally when I'm bored and can't be bothered to try find something actually interesting. It really is an incredibly narrow window into what is actually out there, I'm all over the place so it doesn't do a good job of finding what I'm really interested in, but I can see how it could easily send many down the rabbit hole.

You should also definitely disable autoplay, everywhere. Just letting the algorithm feed you feels very dystopian, there's probably an allegory within Philip K Dick's work somewhere.
  • A lot of people got radicalised by bullshit almost accidentally. Just as a byproduct of trying to sell them stuff and keep them engaged. A targeted anti-bullshit campaign, over a decade or two, can start to undo a lot of the harm imo. You still need political reform, which is the hard bit. Because the cunts just aren't going to let go of the levers of power and if everyone is too dumb to figure out how to stop them, what do you do? Oh and by the way you've got about 5 years to figure all this out before your planet goes into an irreversible climate spiral. Thanks bye.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    So long, and thanks for all the pish.
  • This is a really good watch...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Surely what you mean is that your Youtube becomes more boring when you're signed in with you're gmail account. For others it will be a terrifying niche of content carved exactly for them. The Amigara Fault of content.

Is that not what I said?

YT becomes an ever decreasing circle of content when you are signed in.
  • Nah, not if you're in the circle of fuck that is QANON and conspiracy stuff, it's an absolute endless web of stuff laser focused to keep you watching. The opposite of boring, not ever decreasing, but spiralling out to weirder more fringe people.

Screenshot_168.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    But knowing that can help enormously. Surely? This gen is more or less fucked of course. Youtube actually becomes very boring very quickly if you are signed in with your gmail account.
    Sorry for posting this again. Last time I promise. Also don't buy a Quest. It won't be long before they get eye tracking and when FB get a hold of that data we're really fucked.

The last couple of weeks I've been thinking of knocking the whole thing on the head to be honest. I really don't get a lot of value out of it. I'm a member of some groups and I've sold some N64 games instead of going to eBay but apart from that it's a pretty pointless thing to be involved in.

Youtube is also such a enormous waste of time though it can good if you have something in mind to search for (e.g. how to I change the belt on my tumble dryer).

The amount of links to Brexit and COVID trolls is depressing because it only magnifies the fuckwittery that is there but only encourages binary tribalism. As for Twitter - the odd time I have followed a link into that cesspit I have just closed the window down asking how low we can actually go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!