GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • beano wrote:
    you ruled out transmedia. I am resolving the 'episodic' is teh future debate.

Episodic can work, a good story does not have to be episodic.

I played them in two sittings, would have been one if it wasn't for work/uni.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    But if all games were episodic, we'd waste less cash realising game is shit before paying for the whole game...?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    And I answered. Gnnngh. It is a success because it tells its own, involving story.

Wot? Like a book or the telly does? I like highly rated games to have like... A game in them!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano wrote:
    In TWD thread did anyone discuss the transmedia of it or did it win solely on the game alone? I mean, is its success down to the narrative begun in the comics or is it testament to episodic gaming done right?

Never seen or read Walking Dead. Didn't play it in episodes either, got all of them during Xmas sale. For me, it was the sheer emotion of the great story and the great characterisation. There wasn't much else to it. 

The interactive nature was just enough to make me feel it being a game made a difference. Watching it would have been good too, but I don't think I would've been as attached to Clem.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Kid deserved better...

I already have Dishonoured and Hotline Miami bought and installed, if I actually play them, that would mean I've played 6 of the top 10. Need to get Xcom and FarCry3, and according to that list, I'll be up to date with the best 2012 had to offer (don't care for Dark Souls if I still have Demon Souls untouched, and one Mass Effect was enough for me).
  • beano wrote:
    But if all games were episodic, we'd waste less cash realising game is shit before paying for the whole game...?

Nope, cos I bought all of them as a bundle. And I don't want all of my games episodic, it is silly idea.

And I answered. Gnnngh. It is a success because it tells its own, involving story.
    Wot? Like a book or the telly does? I like highly rated games to have like... A game in them!

Really? Do you just argue points for the kick? Why watch a film, why watch TV, why read a book, why read a comic if they are all telling stories? What a swiz!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd rather buy the first 4 hours of a game for a third or quarter the price and decide if I ever want the rest.

There's too much going on and frankly as much as I trust the opinion of others I'd rather make up my own mind.

Also I wouldn't pirate games for a go before ditching them. I'd prefer to throw some cash the devs way for a good go of a game.

Episodic should be the future.

edit: stuff.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • The only game in the top ten that I've played, is Journey.

I have Episode 1 of The Walking Dead, I really ought to give it a try.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • beano wrote:
    I'd rather buy the first 4 hours of a game for a third or quarter the price and decide if I ever want the rest. There's too much going on and frankly as much as I trust the opinion of others I'd rather make up my own mind. Also I wouldn't pirate games for a go before ditching them. I'd prefer to throw some cash the devs way for a good go of a game. Episodic should be the future. edit: stuff.

It works in some ways, in others, it wouldn't. Episodic driving game, with the multiplayer as extra? DLC for a sneak preview of the next chapter? Your intentions are noble, EA, UBI and Activision are not.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Episodic eurgh. Fuck that. Get a demo, there you go.
  • It clearly worked in TWD's favour, but I was happy buying all 5 of them in one go. I remember the hollerin' that was being done over the missed release dates etc.

Guess what, Portal 2 is in Chapters, but it was all released in one go ;D
  • Tempy wrote:

That is easily overcome if you just don't consider it to be a proper video game. Why not just think of it as a highly rated interactive comic book? Problem sorted. Now enjoy it! It is great.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The Walking Dead - Not got
    Journey - Bought
    Far Cry 3 - Pirated
    XCom - Pirated
    Trials Evo - Not got
    Halo 4 - Not Got
    Dishonored - Pirated
    Mass Effect 3 - Pirated
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die - Pirated
    Hotline Miami - Pirated

Am I bad? No I haven't even had a go of them.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Episodic eurgh. Fuck that. Get a demo, there you go.

Not representative since 16bit era.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Really? Do you just argue points for the kick?

How do I answer that?

From time to time, yes... Of course I will. It's a very good way to learn about stuff.

Tempy wrote:
    Why watch a film, why watch TV, why read a book, why read a comic if they are all telling stories, what a swiz!

That's not convincing. To simplify my case, I'm arguing that a "great" game should have a strong ludological bias...

The Walking Dead does not.
    That story could have been better served by a good novelist or film director...

Disclaimer - I haven't played all the episodes. Let me be clear on that. But fuck. Why should I... That's what I'm arguing about.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It clearly worked in TWD's favour, but I was happy buying all 5 of them in one go. I remember the hollerin' that was being done over the missed release dates etc. Guess what, Portal 2 is in Chapters, but it was all released in one go ;D

Valve have fucked up episodic gaming though.
  • beano wrote:
    I'd rather buy the first 4 hours of a game for a third or quarter the price and decide if I ever want the rest.

Demos and Lovefilm. If the former doesn't convince, try renting or borrowing.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Renting does not get money to DEVS. GET IT?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Of course it does.
  • No way?! If you like it, buy it. Money then goes to devs. GET IT?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Of course it does.

20 ppl rent the same disc in succession. The devs get the cash once. You know what I meant.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    That is easily overcome if you just don't consider it to be a proper video game. Why not just think of it as a highly rated interactive comic book? Problem sorted. Now enjoy it! It is great.

True...

Though it did start off with a black man in the back of a po-leece car*...

Das some shit... 

*STOP. I'm joking...
  • Really? Do you just argue points for the kick?
    How do I answer that? From time to time, yes... Of course I will. It's a very good way to learn about stuff.
    Why watch a film, why watch TV, why read a book, why read a comic if they are all telling stories, what a swiz!
    That's not convincing. To simplify my case, I'm arguing that a "great" game should have a strong ludological bias... The Walking Dead does not. That story could have been better served by a good novelist or film director...

But it wasn't, it was in a game, and it involved people as they got to make choices (cannot be done in a book, or a film) and even though they were largely superficial, they allowed you to 'play a role' thus, GAME.

A great game needs many components IMO, or one true standout that puts it above others. Of course you then get a big messy argument about 'what makes a game great'

If your 'ludological bias' is true, then Bioshock 2 should be a better game than the first, but it isn't viewed as that by many because lack of story impact, redone setting etc... but the core game is much stronger in 2. 

Making it purely down to 'what plays better' or 'does it play well' removes all sorts of games from the running, and emphasizes certain genres over others. By this definition, Journey cannot compete as for all intents and purposes you push forward to win. It could be seen as less of a game than TWD, as at least you can die/make decisions.

Could TWD been better served by a good novelist of director? Maybe, but it wasn't, it was a game, and it grabbed people's imagination more than many other titles this year.
  • I get soft if I find out something is not a game.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    No way?! If you like it, buy it. Money then goes to devs. GET IT?

How do I know I like it? Say I hate it then it's in the second hand bin and the devs don't get that cash again.

Episodic so future.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Of course it does.
    20 ppl rent the same disc in succession. The devs get the cash once. You know what I meant.

I'm going to assume that those Rental copies of games cost a lot more for Lovefilm to buy than the shop copies do. Like films.

Who knows, they may even have a per rental agreement.
  • I can see episodic being annoying. Having to wait for the next instalment in a game that was really addictive and you want to get to the end of. 

Might work for huge massive games like RPGs, but for shorter games?
  • beano wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    How do I know I like it? Say I hate it then it's in the second hand bin and the devs don't get that cash again. Episodic so future.

Do they deserve cash from you if you don't like your game? Cash is finite.
  • I'll be honest, I don't think TWD is a game in the truest sense, but I can see why people might enjoy it so much nonetheless. It's an interactive TV show, which appeals to a large number of people.

Regardless of opinion, at least Telltale has done the episodic thing right. Unlike Valve, Telltale actually finish what they start...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    beano wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    How do I know I like it? Say I hate it then it's in the second hand bin and the devs don't get that cash again. Episodic so future.
    Do they deserve cash from you if you don't like your game? Cash is finite.

It is better to get 1million sales on part 1 + 250K sales on the rest than 1million with most traded back in...it's a better system all round.

And yes, DLC should be a stand alone 'episode' that would fuck off 'online passes'.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!