GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Everyone has stopped arguing with me which mean you're all in denial.

I'm off to nurture a developer as an executive producer.

Look out H&S.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Tech demos that have strong storytelling and emotional engagement are not tech demos.
    I wouldn't say they were games either.
    So what?
    Is this where I quote you saying they're not just tech demos and write 'so what?' underneath? They're more than tech demos and less than games. You're the one that took issue with my label.

If they are fulfilling strong storytelling and emotional connection, I don't know why it matters that they aren't gamey enough. Some folks value one more than the other. I have yet to hear an argument here as to why one is the ideal.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Are being able to influence and branch the story really 'gamey' things though?  Many devs claim their games to be branching but you always end up doing the same thing but with punching/cuddling someone at the end of the mission/game, depending on whether you chose the good side or the bad.

I would say the 'gamey' thing was presenting the illusion of choice.

I agree that TWD would have benefited from more repercussions but is it really any different to any other game in that regard?  '
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I like not knowing.

MGS4 perfect example.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I'm taking exception to the assumption that such things as The Walking Dead is just half a game or a bit of a game or a failed attempt at a game. If it's something else, that's fine. If it's some form of choose your own adventure on consoles? That's fine. Because the end result is it's rather good and as it has those components of strong storytelling and emotional connection it should not be dismissed as a tech demo, or work done for a future gamier gamey version of The Walking Dead. It's good as it is. This is just a bit of creative work being explored for right or wrong under the banner of video games.
  • Seeming to have choice and having actual choice produce the same exact experience. So yeah, fool me please.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Shit. I thought Journey was the tech demo and TWD was a Lucas ripoff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Either way. I am still winning.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If Day of The Tentacle topped the 1994 GOTY discussion, would we have been having this debate back then? Because that's what TWD is, just with simpler puzzles.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Is this it then? Strong storytelling or emotional engagement are going to be the preserve titles that are little more than animated story books or tech demos?
    I think as long as games are trying to tell stories in traditional ways then yes. But there are ways of telling stories through gameplay and world building, and there are some decent examples already, so hopefully more of that will happen. Emotional engagement can go along with that too.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    If Day of The Tentacle topped the 1994 GOTY discussion, would we have been having this debate back then? Because that's what TWD is, just with simpler puzzles.
    This.

To imply that TWD isn't a game is baffling?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Are being able to influence and branch the story really 'gamey' things though?  Many devs claim their games to be branching but you always end up doing the same thing but with punching/cuddling someone at the end of the mission/game, depending on whether you chose the good side or the bad. I would say the 'gamey' thing was presenting the illusion of choice. I agree that TWD would have benefited from more repercussions but is it really any different to any other game in that regard?  '

What I would have liked, and what would have pushed it higher for me, were multiple endings and interactions that had meaningful differences.

I don't mean two dozen endings taking account of every minor decision. But three or even two variations. Give me some motivation to go back and make different decisions to produce different endings. Isn't replayability one of the things that marks something as a 'game' and getting the same ending regardless something that pushes it more towards interactive fiction?

Ignoring the ending I'd have liked if some of the interactions could have provided different results. Let's say I fail the motel raid. We might have had to make a run for it without the motorhome. Instead you get a fail screen and are told to do it again till you get it right. Pretty much every player controlled physical interaction goes that way. You fail and do it again till you don't fail.

The major major decision that decides your entire fate is completely taken out of your hands. That left a very bitter taste for me.

Hell, even some proper puzzles could have helped push it towards something more 'gamey'. There were some examples (like the drug store TV section or the farm generator) but they were very few and far between and seemed to dry up completely by 4 and 5.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Are being able to influence and branch the story really 'gamey' things though?  Many devs claim their games to be branching but you always end up doing the same thing but with punching/cuddling someone at the end of the mission/game, depending on whether you chose the good side or the bad. I would say the 'gamey' thing was presenting the illusion of choice. I agree that TWD would have benefited from more repercussions but is it really any different to any other game in that regard?  '
    What I would have liked, and what would have pushed it higher for me, were multiple endings and interactions that had meaningful differences. I don't mean two dozen endings taking account of every minor decision. But three or even two variations. Give me some motivation to go back and make different decisions to produce different endings. Isn't replayability one of the things that marks something as a 'game' and getting the same ending regardless something that pushes it more towards interactive fiction? Ignoring the ending I'd have liked if some of the interactions could have provided different results. Let's say I fail the motel raid. We might have had to make a run for it without the motorhome. Instead you get a fail screen and are told to do it again till you get it right. Pretty much every player controlled physical interaction goes that way. You fail and do it again till you don't fail. The major major decision that decides your entire fate is completely taken out of your hands. That left a very bitter taste for me. Hell, even some proper puzzles could have helped push it towards something more 'gamey'. There were some examples (like the drug store TV section or the farm generator) but they were very few and far between and seemed to dry up completely by 4 and 5.

I'm pretty sure I've read/heard similar complaints about games that no one on here would argue wasn't a game.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I agree with a lot of what Mod said and even though what I got I am happy with I think that with these things in place TWD would have been one of the stand out games of all time...
    Mod74 wrote:
    Multiple endings and interactions that had meaningful differences. I don't mean two dozen endings taking account of every minor decision. But three or even two variations. Give me some motivation to go back and make different decisions to produce different endings. Isn't replayability one of the things that marks something as a 'game' and getting the same ending regardless something that pushes it more towards interactive fiction? Ignoring the ending I'd have liked if some of the interactions could have provided different results. Let's say I fail the motel raid. We might have had to make a run for it without the motorhome. Instead you get a fail screen and are told to do it again till you get it right. Pretty much every player controlled physical interaction goes that way. You fail and do it again till you don't fail. The major major decision that decides your entire fate is completely taken out of your hands. That left a very bitter taste for me. Hell, even some proper puzzles could have helped push it towards something more 'gamey'. There were some examples (like the drug store TV section or the farm generator) but they were very few and far between and seemed to dry up completely by 4 and 5.

I am not bothered about having replayability (I can YouTube any alternative endings) but I would have liked for all of us to have had different games. I'd have liked something this story driven to have had different endings though I realise that for this to happen would have taken so much work...
  • What's this THE ACADEMY shit in the OP and why am I NOT IN IT?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    RasDam wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I've read/heard similar complaints about games that no one on here would argue wasn't a game.

Maybe, but they probably didn't set their stall out by saying this is YOUR story, every decision will have CONSEQUENCE.

The decisions don't have consequence, they're essentially moot.

"Clem will remember this". Clem might but the game doesn't. Except when they're being reeled back to you at the end like some greatest hits package.

I know it sounds like I'm being overly harsh, but there were a lot of things that could have been done a lot better.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm with you- I think even metal gears should have alternate ending for those who play the game in stealth and those who blast their way through.

I hate the idea that everyone gets ushered to the same endings despite tactical differences in approaches.
  • I just wanted to say that all of you who voted for Hotline Miami are delusional. FEZ FOR TOP TEN
  • WorKid wrote:
    I'm downloading Fez now.

YES
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I grabbed it the other day, I not played that much of it. It looks nice and plays alright but it's never going to be in my Top 5...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It is on PC isn't it?
  • iPad seems the ideal version, for all that tap tap nonsense.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    iPad seems the ideal version, for all that tap tap nonsense.
    Anybody know how good/bad it is?

My daughter would probably play it, how much is the series?
  • It's fine, it's the one I finished it on. I found it far better suited to all the tapping than the PS3 version I've got, made it quite easy though. 

Can't remember how much it was, but probably the cheapest version I'd have thought.
  • Oh, I thought Fez was a 360 exclusive.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I assumed at some point the discussion merged from Fez to TWD without people explicitly saying so.
  • Probably did mean Fez, I got TWD from 'the series'.
  • personally i think a game like walking dead should be played once only. your choices and the results should be a thing in andof themselves a replay to see how it could have been different is akin to wanting to know how a magician does his stuff. the game is fun in its playthrough and grippng throughout once and once only.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!