GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've tried searching for the facts of this statement but heck I can't find them anywhere.

In an episode of QI Fry took the word game back to Greek origins, where it's translation was something along the lines of:

A joyful way to waste time.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I felt cathartic joy when I cried
  • Did you watch yourself in the mirror?
  • beano wrote:
    In an episode of QI Fry took the word game back to Greek origins, where it's translation was something along the lines of:

A joyful way to waste time.

Hmmm. I don't consider time spent on a good game to be wasted, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • "All time is wasted" - some dude
  • Interactive fiction is one thing- choose your own adventure and all that- and games are quite another.

Which bucket TWD falls into is a matter for debate, but is also rather academic. Plus as I've not played it I can't offer up an opinion, other than, it doesn't matter.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    As somebody else pointed out The Walking Dead is no different to Full Throttle, Broken Sword or Beneath a Steel Sky and nobody ever questioned if they were games or not.
  • NOT THAT IT MATTERS but the best definition for game isn't that far away from Beano's quote: "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement." I'd say that covers 90% of all the time I put into games. NOT THAT IT MATTERS.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    NOT THAT IT MATTERS but the best definition for game isn't that far away from Beano's quote: "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement." I'd say that covers 90% of all the time I put into games. NOT THAT IT MATTERS.
    game

2 an activity that one engages in for amusement: a computer game
    * the equipment for a game, especially a board game or a computer game:   buy your games and software from us
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • NOT THAT IT MATTERS.

Exactly.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Congrats everyone for defining the activity not the act.

If we go and visit some friends I'd say we're driving up on Saturday. If I'm a passenger not the driver then I'm not driving.
  • Playing is "engaging with a game for enjoyment"

NOT THAT IT MATTERS
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ahhhh, so TWD is a game but you don't play it.

I'll go with and leave it at that.
  • Did you either 

a. Not engage with TWD?

or 

b. Not enjoy it?

Again, I stress NOT THAT IT MATTERS. It is a game, you played it, as much as you would have played near enough any other point and click. Might have been easier, but still a game. A game. 100% a game thing. A thing that is a game.

It's even bold enough to call itself The Walking Dead: The Game
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Barely.
  • Classic pointos didn't get much of a free pass on this shit either as I recall. They lasted in the canon for their scripts, by and large.
  • I am too young to recall. Do they not make their bed next to stuff like Fight Fantasy Adventure Books? Those choose your own adventure books appear to me to be the origin point of the video game version, and I'd consider them games too. You have a beginning, and an end, and you interact with the rules of the game world to progress within it, it's just that they're a book instead of like cards or some shit.

I'd argue that the definition of gaming would be that, "interacting with the rules laid out by the game so that you may progress" as that appears to cover them all to me.

Mod74 wrote:
    Barely.

Barely still is, surely?
  • I'd accept CYOA books are games. I mean they totally have lose conditions and that.

Will say though that expectations have grown, and that more players would like to think their choices were within something more alive and messy and organic than a CYOA. This was the promise of sandboxtypes, and it casts a shadow.
  • Tempy wrote:
    NOT THAT IT MATTERS

This. I enjoyed it, that's all I care about.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'd accept CYOA books are games. I mean they totally have lose conditions and that. Will say though that expectations have grown, and that more players would like to think their choices were within something more alive and messy and organic than a CYOA. This was the promise of sandboxtypes, and it casts a shadow.

I was chattin' with @chattinwithchet chet about TWD and choices and ME3 and all that malarky etc and CYOA books are what these games are. There is a beginning and an end, except by the end you might have the stripped glove of slapping with which to defeat the monster, and you may have let the slaves free at some point because you got the key by going left instead of right, but you still either win or lose to the big bad at the end. 

We digressed onto the expectations of branching stories and stuff and I'm not sure any developer can fulfill what we expect, due to the immense amount of work required, and the situations explained here before: Why would anyone pay for a game that had swathes of content that could be missed out? The entertainment industry has mainly bozos with cash, and they equate 'not seen hours' to a pointless cost.

Will we ever see what we desire? I doubt it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Even ME3 had multiple endings, and multiple ways to resolve different situations along the way.

The gold standard is ME2 and your actions across the whole game culminating in your final outcome.

I owned the story in ME2, I owned the story in ME3.

I was told a story in TWD.
  • Temps I'd agree there are major production impediments, which is why it's often more fruitful to place the choicemaking scheme and associated thrills in the context of overlapping mechanics and object behaviours in a rich space than within a prescribed plot arc - more freedom to allow the unexpected to kick off.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I owned the story in ME2, I owned the story in ME3. I was told a story in TWD.

Well put.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • @tempy there's a game called virtues last reward that does exactly what you describe.

The devs minimise the risk of missing swathes of game by giving you incomplete information in a particular thread (e.g. A computer with a password which you can only access by rewinding, choosing differently and playing through the alterno thread which happens to contain the password and then switching to the first thread)

the game though describes itself as a visual novel though. I guess that helps!!
  • I don't see how the choices in mass effect were less illusory than in walking dead. For every guy that died there was a guy to fill his shoes.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    More importantly has anyone sent Telltale any celebratory hams?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I don't see how the choices in mass effect were less illusory than in walking dead. For every guy that died there was a guy to fill his shoes.
    ↑ THIS ↑

I loved Mass Effect 2 but I remember saying how clever the game was at making you think you'd made a difference.
  • *checks thread*

Oh still arguing over TWD being a game

*leaves thread*
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    *checks thread* Oh still arguing over TWD being a game *leaves thread*

And Jaffacakes are biscuits? Right?*

*Arguably the best page turn so far this year... : P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!